Ken Kurtis

Nikon 10-24mm question

I picked up the Nikon 10-24mm lens the other day and shot with it last week. I liked it a lot and was very impressed that I could even shoot things as small as Blue-Banded Gobies (at 24mm and closest focus) with it. I was using the lens with a +2 diopter to hopefully reduce the barrel distortion a bit (and maybe sharpen up the corners). So my questions are:

1. Anyone else shooting with this lens?

2. Using a diopter or not? (+1, +2, +4, or none)

3. Any other thoughts?

I'm taking off for La Paz, BCS, Sunday and will take this lens down with me to play. Should be excellent for the Sea Lions at Los Islotes.

- Ken

I'm wondering about a S&S focus gear for this lens?

Jack

there is quite a bit of info already on the forum about this lens, so have a trawl. I've been using it since 2004 above and below water. Have used a +2, if possible get a multi element dioptre. I keep the subal zoom gear permanently attached.

Edited by PeterCatchpole

there is quite a bit of info already on the forum about this lens, so have a trawl. I've been using it since 2004 above and below water. Have used a +2, if possible get a multi element dioptre. I keep the subal zoom gear permanently attached.

I think you're mixing up the 10-24 with the 12-24. The 10-24 came this year.

/c

I'm wondering about a S&S focus gear for this lens?

I remember reading it is the same as the 12-24's.

I picked up the Nikon 10-24mm lens the other day and shot with it last week. I liked it a lot and was very impressed that I could even shoot things as small as Blue-Banded Gobies (at 24mm and closest focus) with it. I was using the lens with a +2 diopter to hopefully reduce the barrel distortion a bit (and maybe sharpen up the corners). So my questions are:

3. Any other thoughts?

I'm taking off for La Paz, BCS, Sunday and will take this lens down with me to play. Should be excellent for the Sea Lions at Los Islotes.

What housing/dome(extension) are you using?

3. Any other thoughts?

- Ken

What housing/dome(extension) are you using?

I validated the lens the other day and it uses the same gear as the Nikon 12-24mm and requires about 40mm of extension according to our optical bench, that goes for our Aquatica housings but should be ok for similar setup.

Ken;

Let us know how you like it. Reviews I've read are that the 12-24 is maybe a bit sharper. Neither focuses that close, hence I'd probably push it to +4, or the extension Jean mentioned.

Jack

Sponsors

Advertisements