Sign in to follow this  
Turbo

Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens vs 100mm with tc\diopter

it seems that everyone out there is using a 100mm lens with teleconverters and\or diopters, why not use a Canon EF 180mm instead. does anyone use one of these lens? i am currious as to the depth of field of this lense vs a 100mm with a +5 diopter or 1.7 teleconverter. the only problem i forsee is the camera shake issue.

it seems that everyone out there is using a 100mm lens with teleconverters and\or diopters, why not use a Canon EF 180mm instead. does anyone use one of these lens? i am currious as to the depth of field of this lense vs a 100mm with a +5 diopter or 1.7 teleconverter. the only problem i forsee is the camera shake issue.

It is huge...

f3.5 compared to f2.8 of the 100mm

Minimum focusing distance 49cm vs. 31cm of the 100mm

So I am lusting for the new 100mm f2.8L...

The 100mm w/ a 1.4x TC becomes an F4 lens which is not too bad. The Sigma 150mm F2.8 is also great - and I have used it w/ a 1.4x TC also.

The 180mm is a beast - agreed.

Cheers

James

I have the 100 mm/2,8 as well as the 180/3,5. I use the 180 above water and the 100 either alone or with a 1,4 tc under water. Without actually trying, I believe that the benefits of the 180 under water is to small to warrant the much larger size of it as well as the economic risk of flooding it. Where I live the costs of the lenses are such that you can flood three 100/2,8 for each 180/3,5!

regards Bent C.

Canon 180mm AF is slow relative to 100mm AF...extended working distance of the 180mm is desirable for some subject matter...

If I recall optics lessons correctly, the DOF is equivalent/comparable at equivalent magnifcations (anyone confirm/refute)???

Another difference between the 180mm and the 100m with a tele is, that the 180mm will also do just 1:1 – just like the 100mm by itself. So you just change the working distance. The 100mm with a Tele will go beyond 1:1 ... so you have more magnification.

I'll been using the 180mm underwater for half a year now and I have to say that i purchased the new EF 100mm IS.

But the 180mm have a more defuse background. Its taking a long time to find the focus.

U can take grate pictures with this lense.

20090602_gulen_0026.jpg

I've been searching for the 180mm topic and finally found it.

I shoot macro always with 100mm and now interested to bring my Canon 180mm macro underwater.

I'm using Canon 5D Mark II with Aquatica casing. I was wondering, what port extension should I get? Considering I already have:

- 18428 AF Macro port
- 18453 Extension ring

- 18457 Extension ring

With the combination of all three stacked together, it is approximately 0.5 - 1 cm too short for Canon 180mm Macro. What's the best solution? If possible, 1 extension ports is better than two.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements