Sign in to follow this  
Aqua_soul

Subal DP-FE2

Alternatively what is the differences between the DP-FE2 / DP-FE3 / DP-FE4?

Thanks

Geo

Alternatively what is the differences between the DP-FE2 / DP-FE3 / DP-FE4?

Thanks

Geo

Hi Geo,

I just got a new Subal rig last week. The port, extension ring and housing are all mount/type 4.

i.e. DP-FE4 is the newest mount.

Due to the larger (diameter) barrol of some newer lenses Subal have slightly increased the opening in all new housings, however i was given the choice between 3&4 mounts.

As for type 2 havent a clue if they still make but i am sure you could pick it up second hand. I hope this helps. Take care.

Kind regards,

Log.

2 & 3 were the same port mount size and glass (the original FE port also fitted this port). 4 is also the same glass, but a different mount size.

The earlier Subal ports were a screw thread rather than bayonet. The switch happened earlier in the F801/N8008 housing life. I have a bayonet style F801 housing, but a friend of mine had a screw type one.

Alex

2 & 3 were the same port mount size and glass (the original FE port also fitted this port). 4 is also the same glass, but a different mount size.

The earlier Subal ports were a screw thread rather than bayonet. The switch happened earlier in the F801/N8008 housing life. I have a bayonet style F801 housing, but a friend of mine had a screw type one.

Alex

Hi Dr Alex,

Oh shite, i am very new......sorry. Thanks for the correct explanation. I obvoiusly miss understood when it was explaned to me.

Big love,

Log.

Thanks all, it was great to learn that the optics was not the reason for change.

Now i need to fine tune my research.

I own a Seatool housing and will obviously need a adaptor (if one is avalable) to use the DP-FE2 port with my housing. (which is the Seatool ND300)

I have send a mail to Ryan, but if anybody else knows if this is possible please let me know.

Its a secondhand port i am looking at. Being Subal it is expensive even secondhand. Is there anybody here who has experience with both the Subal and the Seatool dome ports? How does the Seatool compare to the Subal

From the feedback so far, i take it that if i go this route, i will have a problem with the wider Nikon lenses, am I right?

Thanks

Geo

The Seatool dome is an Athena 170mm lens. Subal's DP-FE2 is about 185mm. Both are cut down segments of larger hemispheres, so their performance is better than their claimed size would indicate. That being said the FE2 is better with super wide rectilinear lenses than the 170mm Athena dome is.

FE2 is not compatible with 14-24, but works with everything else. Some of the Third Generation extension rings that are used with FE2 need to be enlarged for fat lenses.

The Seatool dome is an Athena 170mm lens. Subal's DP-FE2 is about 185mm. Both are cut down segments of larger hemispheres, so their performance is better than their claimed size would indicate. That being said the FE2 is better with super wide rectilinear lenses than the 170mm Athena dome is.

FE2 is not compatible with 14-24, but works with everything else. Some of the Third Generation extension rings that are used with FE2 need to be enlarged for fat lenses.

Thanks Ryan

I read your post after send the PM, so please ignore the questions in that which you have already answered here.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements