Sign in to follow this  
Kari Post

I just got an underwater housing setup!

I just bought a Canon Powershot A570 IS and WP-DC12 underwater housing rated to 130 feet. I was aiming to get a WP-DC28 for my G10, but I was able to get this whole setup plus a 4GB card for less than the cost of just the WP-DC28 housing, so I went for it. I figured it would be good to have just about anything in order to start being able to shoot underwater and get a feel for it.

What's next? Does anyone have experience with this combo? What settings should I have it set to for the best shooting underwater? Does anyone have suggestions on how to practice with it?

I just bought a Canon Powershot A570 IS and WP-DC12 underwater housing rated to 130 feet. I was aiming to get a WP-DC28 for my G10, but I was able to get this whole setup plus a 4GB card for less than the cost of just the WP-DC28 housing, so I went for it. I figured it would be good to have just about anything in order to start being able to shoot underwater and get a feel for it.

What's next? Does anyone have experience with this combo? What settings should I have it set to for the best shooting underwater? Does anyone have suggestions on how to practice with it?

Get acquainted with the camera on land. Go find some flowers or make a little still life on your kitchen table and play around, particularly with all of the various modes and flash settings on the camera. Then go diving and have fun

I don't have any experience with the A570IS and its housing but I would suggest that you spend some time in a pool with it taking images of flowers (artificial), small stuffed animals and the like so you can get an idea of how it functions underwater before you actually go diving. Then take a look at the images after you've loaded them to your computer. You'll be able to adjust your settings based on the results. What the image looks like on the camera screen inside your housing, viewing it with your mask on, is often quite different from how it looks on your computer after you've uploaded the memory card and view it on your monitor!

And before you take it on a dive in the ocean, you might want to take the housing without the camera inside to depth to see if there are any leaks. That way, if any water inadvertently gets inside the housing, it won't damage your camera. AFAIK, trying it out in a pool is not sufficient for this test as the camera does not go deep enough.

I've heard that using dessicant packs inside the housing can be a good idea to eliminate fogging depending on environmental conditions before the dive.

Congrats on your new purchase! Be sure to post your images here after you've had the chance to go diving with it.

Ellen

Start by learning how to adjust all the settings with the camera out of the case. The most important features you will use underwater are turning the flash on and off, turning on the macro setting, reviewing pictures, and changing to the video setting. Once you're comfortable with those settings, put the camera in the case and make sure you are comfortable with all the buttons. Its actually more difficult than you think to find all those buttons when you cant see the icons.

You don't necessarily need to practice taking pictures underwater. With a point-and-shoot camera, UW photography just about as easy as land photography!

Enjoy your new housing!

Congrats and welcome to the world of Underwater Photography and the loss of much cash once the bug has bitten you. Go take lots of pics, share with your friends and ask lots of questions. Have fun!

DiverPam

Check out CHDK - if it works for this camera then it'll give you some more control (like you have with the G10).

Aside from that get used to using the housing on land and then if possible in a pool etc. If the housing is 2nd hand it would probably be a good idea to either get it cleaned and serviced by Canon or remove, clean and regrease the o-rings and carefully fit back in the housing. Just be sure to use the right grease (normal silicone grease causes silicone o-rings to go soft and expand). Also the E clips that hold the control shafts in are quite fragileso do be gentle with them. A good guide can be found here http://blog.gieselman.com/post/Fixing-stic...a-housings.aspx

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements