Sign in to follow this  
kenashman

Made the big time at last!

Well, at least my slug did...

David Behrens used my photograph of Berthella strongi as the illustration for this week's Branch Of the Week. Needless to say, I'm deeply gratified... and I learned a lot about B. strongi when I read his article!

Here's a link to the BOW page of The Slug Site

I think very highly of Behrens' book Pacific Coast Nudibranchs - and all the Sea Challenger Books. It's great to actually get to know him and Michael Miller a little. (Michael runs The Slug Site.)

And here's some more of my slug shots:

Channel Islands Nudibranchs

More Channel Islands Nudibranchs

Congrats to both you and Sandy (Diving Diva) for getting your shots posted on the slug sites.

Great gallery Ken :)

Beautiful nudibranchs, Ken. I'm not very familiar with Pacific Coast nudibrachs. How big is the Berthella strongi?

I'd estimate it was between 1.5" and 2" - the Orange Cup Coral (Balanophyllia elegans) - in the photo to the right - is commonly 1/2 to 1" across.

The Slug Site has a great list of Pacific Coast Branchs with photos - I suggest browsing thru...

Slug Site has a great list of Pacific Coast Branchs with photos - I suggest browsing thru...

Yes, I did, and they were amazing. I've dived outside the Caribbean only once (Fiji - the nudibranchs there were superb), but in the Caribbean - the Caymans at least - you mostly see the common lettuce sea slug, which isn't very impressive (and technically is not a nudibranch, although many people call them that).

So keep the nudibranchs coming!

Ken, did you use an add-on close up lens or is that the native lens?

Great shots..........

Karl

I used the standard CP5000 lens and flat port on the housing - no add-on lenses. As you know (I see you have one yourself) the Nikon has excellent close-focus ability.

Hi Ken,

When you are shooting your slugs, do you utilize the zoom of the lens (non-digital)?

Or, could you post a couple of your EXIF details. Mainly your lens mm. My last BC shots were F8, 1/1000 with the strobes dialed down to -5

Why am I getting interesting in these darn slugs? There's a conversations piece...My favourite subjects are the large sharks and slugs. :)

When you are shooting your slugs, do you utilize the zoom?

Yes - at least sometimes. My favorite technique is to get within a few inches, if I can. Closer I can get, less zoom I use. I turn off the "digital zoom".

Most of my shots were taken with dual strobes (the Navanax and the Iodinea laying eggs were with a single strobe). I use diffusers and light the subject with the edge of the beam. The diffusers create a gradual fall-off, making real nice for sharply angled side-lighting. Many times I find my strobes (S&S YS90) are alomost too much light. The L&M Tetra house has the 12-step controller, but even on the lowerst setting it can be too much light for the exposure at the distances I often shoot - i.e. point blank. (Thus I took to lighting with just the edges. I couldn't be happier with the results.)

I looked up the lens mm on the shots in the Channel Islands Nudibranchs gallery exif info: (all were ISO 100)

#1 - 20.1mm 1/500th, F7.3

#2 - 12.4mm 1/500th, F7.6

#3 - 11.4mm 1/250th, F5.2

#4 - 21.4mm 1/250th, F7.6

#5 - 14.9mm 1/250th, F6

#6 - 14.9mm 1/250th, F6

#7 - 21.4mm 1/250th, F7.6

#8 - 18.8mm 1/500th, F7

Thanks,

I would have to say I have found the exact same issues with the strobes. Barely need them at all for the macro.

Your settings do appear to be very similiar to what I used in BC. Which, were different from the south for similiar subjects.

Ken,

Congratulations on your seaslug find!!!

It's the little things that make us happy! (at least when it comes to seaslugs! LOL!)

Sandy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements