BrianM

Tiny Frogfish from Bali

Anyone know what type of frogfish this tiny little guy is?

4034688833_15202deb50.jpg

4035443754_a8c898b714.jpg

4035443858_7ff6512fe0.jpg

So cute....It can't be more than a few weeks old.

Sorry, I can't help with the id.

That's the smallest I ever saw... I am afraid to say at that age they look very similar, probably impossible to tell just based on the photo...

So is it also impossible to tell species for this juvenile too?

4053338179_3014af0edc.jpg

4054080206_517c40d5a1.jpg

4054080086_4c099ae7e6.jpg

I estimate it's about 5mm based on the size of my wife's little finger.

Cool finds Brian! 2nd photo of the 2nd froggie is great!

I can't help with the ID but I shot these 3 larger black frogfish at Seraya Secrets in Bali and they have small orange spots. I might be seeing things (very likely!) but it looks like there are a couple such spots on yours so perhaps more will develop as it increases in size. These may well be the same species so hopefully these pics will help with your ID. Then again they might be completely different... there are black frogfish and there are black frogfish...

frogfish-seraya1-small.jpg

frogfish-seraya2small.jpg

frogfish-seraya3-small.jpg

Now then... you want small frogfish... I shot this little guy (Antennarius pictus?) at Tenga in the Lembeh strait, "roaring" at a tiny shrimp nearby. The 'enormous steel bar' in the background is actually a 1/4 inch diameter pointer. I'd like to stick him in a Doubilet-mini-nudi-studio with yours and shoot the ensuing clash of the titans :uwphotog:

painted-frogfish-Antennarius-pictus.jpg

Edited by Nick Hope

Soooo kew-ute!

Thanks Nick. I would say your black frogfish is Antennarius pictus for sure, but the little one is as much a mystery to me as mine our.

If only we had a ID expert here that was more in love with frogfish than worms. :uwphotog:

Thanks Alex & Howei

I don't think my orange frogfish is a Bandfin frogfish / Antennatus tuberosus (nice photo btw.) even though it too was hiding under a rock.

Like Alex, I think the body shape is too different. Also I'm not sure about it being Antennarius maculatus either though it does look a better fit.

For comparison, here's a similar size Antennarius maculatus that I shot, but in Anilao not Bali, there could be regional variations.

3792961581_52ed52afee.jpg

Thanks Nick. I would say your black frogfish is Antennarius pictus for sure, but the little one is as much a mystery to me as mine our.

There are plenty of orange frogfish in the Lembeh Strait just like my little one but much bigger. Here's one from Police Pier. I have put them down as Antennarius pictus but I guess they could be small commersoni or something else.

frogfish-Police-Pier-small.jpg

Nick the spots on your orange Lembeh frogfish indicate A. pictus so it's reasonable to think the tiny orange one with spots is the same species.

Teresa Zuberbühler (aka. Zubi) contacted me about my tiny orange frogfish, which she is confident that it is a juvenile Bandfin Frogfish ( Antennatus tuberosus ). She told me "this is one of the easier species to identify, even if it is so small, because of the typical reddish-orange-yellow marbling / honeycomb structures"

The tiny black frogfish looks like an undescribed species of frogfishes Antennarius sp. - more information at http://www.frogfish.ch/species-arten/Antennarius-sp.html

She has an excellent website about frogfish which seems extremely useful for identifying frogfish and I especially like the interactive identification page http://www.frogfish.ch/frogfish-identification.html

Edited by BrianM

Teresa Zuberbühler (aka. Zubi) contacted me about my tiny orange frogfish, which she is confident that it is a juvenile Bandfin Frogfish ( Antennatus tuberosus ). She told me "this is one of the easier species to identify, even if it is so small, because of the typical reddish-orange-yellow marbling / honeycomb structures"

The tiny black frogfish looks like an undescribed species of frogfishes Antennarius sp. - more information at http://www.frogfish.ch/species-arten/Antennarius-sp.html

She has an excellent website about frogfish which seems extremely useful for identifying frogfish and I especially like the interactive identification page http://www.frogfish.ch/frogfish-identification.html

Thanks for the info Brian. It is most useful. However, I still have not been able to identify the following frogfish:

post-21493-1257309762.jpg

Maybe someone would have an idea?

It was shot at Secret Bay (Gilimanuk), Bali, Indonesia, last week end at 8 m deep. It was around 10 cm.

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by danielstassen

Daniel, if you have gone through the online identification questions and still can't identify it, then I can only suggest you email Zubi with hi res photos (if possible showing the lure)

Sponsors

Advertisements