Cal

The famous iceberg shot

Hey guys

Theres a poster that I see quite regularly. Its from national geographic I believe.

Its an amazing over/under of an iceberg. I'm not even sure if its a real photo. It looks like this

Anyone know who took it?

Cal

Maybe it was taken by two different photographers?

Laurent Ballesta used it in his book - so someone who has Planet Mers to hand can check the photo credit.

Alex

That composite image has been used in so many magazines, textbooks, and advertisements, it's incredible. Credited to Ralph A. Clevenger/CORBIS.

Ralph Clevenger.

He told me it paid for his house in Santa Barbara.

It is a composite photo (PS)

It would be physically impossible to actually take the shot.

Sorry, didn't see the above post.

Wow!

Thanks for the info guys

Cheers

Cal

A little frustrating of course is that we cannot even be sure that this is what an iceberg looks like underwater, as even this part as depicted in the image is a topside image flipped before merging in PS

Very interesting info. Thanks.

Also north and southern hemisphere icebergs typically have different structures because of different formation processes.

Alex

Also north and southern hemisphere icebergs typically have different structures because of different formation processes.

Er - is that above or below the waterline? (sorry couldn't resist Alex).

Seems to me there is a gap in the market for some decent iceberg shots then. Where did I leave that 5mm shorty......

Paul C

It would be real cool if it were real. But then, yeah, it would be kind of impossible to capture that. Ooooooh the wonders of post processing. :)

Sponsors

Advertisements