Sign in to follow this  
marbiol

Fuji F30 replacement

I've been using a Fuji F30 (in a fuji housing) as my compact travel and free diving camera.

It's been perfect for both of these roles but recently it has started to occasionally save some corrupted images (to multiple cards) and has finally acquired a couple of dust spots deep inside the lens. These two issues mean that while I would like to get it repaired, it'll probably end up costing more than it's worth.

Has anyone made a move from an F30 to a new similarly sized camera recently? I've gone through the usual reading of specs and looking at sample images for replacements but I've reached the point where I would really appreciate some comments from actual experience of the current offerings.

The current shortlist includes the Fuji F200EXR and Canon S90 although the cost for the S90 + (unavailable) housing is significantly higher than that of the F200...

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers,

D.

I used my Fuji F200EXR recently on a scuba trip to egypt and was very impressed. I was not using any strobes and set on the auto for most of it as I was still learning, but it does have different levels of manual adjustment depending on how far you want to take it. I had mainly got it as a compact for above water shots when I didn't want to lug around my SLR. The UW housing worked well and easy to use, only complaint was that there was a lot of relection where the LCD screen is at shallower depths, could have done with some sort of cowling, but I guess that is an issue with a lot of the point and shoots.

here is some examples of the better shots.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry230968

I am leaning towards the F200exr at the moment, largely because of the price differential.

One thing that gives me pause is the reputed drop in quality of the F200 and F70 video. From most reports it's significantly worse than the F30, especially in lower light levels, and I do like the ability to take short clips if I run across something.

I'm also a little wary about the F200's handing of aperture via an ND filter.

If I could find a replacement F30 or F31 at a reasonable price I would probably get it, but all of the remaining new old stock are prohibitively expensive (even if I take into account I wouldn't have to get a new housing).

I really hope that someone can get the S90 underwater soon and get some test shots.

D.

The review was useful and I have to say that I do like the quality of the fuji housings - they seem a little less fragile than some other own brand housings available.

The F200 does seem to be the best choice at the moment for what I'm after, but I don't want to go for it without at least considering some other cameras...

I'm willing to consider any brand (my first UW digital was an Olympus c5050z) so any potential alternates in the same price range would be cool. I've got a little while before I order (since I'm in New Zealand and someone will be collecting it from North America for me) so the floor is still open... I may go back to a Nikonos for freediving until I find a replacement. (I just wish film processing wasn't so expensive here ;->)

D.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements