Gudge

Camera Shop in Singapore?

I'll be passing through Singapore on my way to Lembeh next week. Living in a very remote small town 1,300 kilometres from the nearest camera shop I thought I'd do a spot of shopping while in Singapore on my way through. Anybody got a recommendation for a good camera shop in Singapore?

Orient Photo in Sim Lim Square. Very competitive prices on cameras and lenses and carry all sorts of camera accessories from China. They will send or sometimes even deliver stuff to your hotel if given enough notice and you spend enough money :blink:.

You're also get slightly better exchange rates in Sim Lim. Cathay and Alan Photo have more known brand stuff like filters etc but are more expensive. They are both reliable and generally well-tempered. :lol:

I'll be passing through Singapore on my way to Lembeh next week. Living in a very remote small town 1,300 kilometres from the nearest camera shop I thought I'd do a spot of shopping while in Singapore on my way through. Anybody got a recommendation for a good camera shop in Singapore?

If you are tourist and you are caucasian most probably you will get 5 stars treatment on those shops in Sim Lim, literally like walking lamb to slaughter house. Caveat Emptor, please check the price from few shops before commiting if they are unhappy when you are walking out from the shop to get second quote probably you are getting rotten deal.

Another trick to avoid is bait and switch, some shops try to sell "better product" with "cheaper price" or selling accessories worth $10 for $100.

For locals sometime we see the shops in Sim Lim and Lucky Plaza are black hole they only serve tourist.

I recommend these shops that have quite good reputation for locals:

1. Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza/Marina Square - they are the biggest player price is ok but sometime some shopkeeper selling with inflated price, they sell only local set.

2. Camera Workshop - in Excelsior shopping center (opposite peninsula plaza) good shop for secondhand items, they also sell new ones. Make sure to check whether is local set or imported set, usulaly their imported set (gray products) is quite cheap but you can forget about international warranty.

3. John 3:16 at Funan Digital IT mall - Honest shop and good service but limited stock

4. TK Photo at Shaw Tower - good selection and price quite compettitve.

There are few more shops that having good reputation, you can check it in Singapore local website for photograper www.clubsnap.com

This is based on my experience, may be some people may have better experience with other shops.

Another vote for Cathy.

Did a stop over on way to Auz last week and came out MUCH poorer

, , , , , , Canon 20-300 3.5-5.6 IS L USM :-)

Also Penisula Plaza is handy for the MRT from that airport, Changi to Town Hall about 30 minutes and direct.

I did my research on line and they even gave me a quote by email.

Cheers,

Richard B.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like I couldn't have picked my hotel better camera shopping wise. It's across the road from the Peninsular Plaza, short walk from the Funan Centre and one stop by MRT and short walk to Sim Lim Square. :blink: I've done all my homework, know what I want and what price it is from my normal on-line suppliers so I won't be parting with any money unless I get a good deal.

Edited by Gudge

Alan Photo has a branch in Funan too... Have fun shopping! P.S For u/w items, go to Scubacam (can get quote fr them via email)...

Sea&Sea shop at the second floor of Adelphi Mall (opposite Funan Digital Life Mall).

Sea&Sea shop at the second floor of Adelphi Mall (opposite Funan Digital Life Mall).
In the same street as my hotel and a few doors down. Looks like I'm not going to have to go far to spend my money! Edited by Gudge

Looking forward to seeing you, Gudge!

Another vote from me for Cathay. Yep, maybe a bit pricier than others but you get what you pay for and they have great stock. Excellent advice from others; If you are going elsewhere know exactly what you want and likely prices: otherwise it is lambs to the slaughter. It's as bad as Lexington Avenue in NYC....

Looking forward to seeing you, Gudge!
You're only saying that because you know I'm bringing some packets of TimTams with me for you. :blink:

We are just a little red dot, don't need to go far... :blink:

Anyway the unreputed shops can only managed "chop carrot" if the walk-in customers are ill prepared... Remember to claim your tax (GST) exemption, if any...

Just call me the Tim the Tim Tam Tart......

:blink:

Sponsors

Advertisements