Sign in to follow this  
gravity

Expedited Visa for Indonesia

Does anyone have any advice for getting a expedited visas to indonesia? Last minute trip planing has got me in a bind. I am currently in Ecuador and return to the USA on Saturday, Nov 7th. On Sunday, Nov 16th I fly to Bali. I have more than 30 days of reservations booked, so VOA probably won't work. I could leave the country after 33 days, but I would prefer to spend Christmas in Bali. I have checked with an expediter (travisa.com) and they say that currently it is running five days to get a visa and they don't have any way to expedite.

Part of the way I got myself in this bind is that the expediters have info online suggesting that for a fee they can do it in one day. I stupidly relied on that information, but when I contacted them they said that is not the case. They say everything is five days right now. If I overnight paperwork to them Monday after I return, the 5th business day is the following Monday, the day after I leave.

My wife searched online and found that fines for overstaying a visa are $20 per day, which we could manage if we left after 33 days, but the thought of that stresses me out a bit. Seems like something they could really hassle us on or change their mind about the amount of the fine.

I know it is a long shot, and I am probably going to have to pay the airlines steep fee for changing tickets, but if anyone knows a way to get it in 3 days or less I would really appreciate it.

There are visa service companies in Bali that can have your visa extended for 30 days while you're in the country. However I don't have any personal experience with this other than talking to a company representative. Sorry I can't be more helpful at this point. Do you have contacts in Bali that could check into this for you? I've heard that overstaying your visa can be expensive. $20/day sounds pretty cheap if its a guaranteed charge, but remember where you are.

I've used ABL Travel in the past for air fare and really don't know if they can help with your issue but they are in Bali and it might be worth an e-mail to get current information on the Visas.

ablmilist@baliwww.com

Good luck,

Rand

Edited by randapex

I got a VISA in the US for 60 days when I went to Indonesia in 2005. I stayed 50 days.

I understand, in Indonesia, they are extremely strict about overstaying your VISA by just one day (if you miscounted to stay for a month, and it had 31 days for example; or you forgot to count the day you landed - even if it was late at night) - so I wouldn't try overstaying three days at all.

For my 60 day VISA I had to get a sponsor that said I who I was and where I would be staying, along with a letter of introduction and all that jazz. Graham Abbott @ Diving 4 Images handled all of it, but it took weeks to get here in the states and there was a lot of paperwork. It was inexpensive though - it just takes planning and time to get it, but I entered the country with it already on my passport.

I'm sure there are companies that could do something, but remember - almost nothing moves as expected in Indonesia!

Good Luck, Carol

More Info:

I got this data from the embassy site - note it says US $20/day plus "other sanctions" ????

I do have a gal dive buddy who is 65 years old and about as sweet as one could get. Anyway she and her gal buddies didn't read the VOA and didn't count the day they were leaving as one of their 30 days - so it ended up being 31 days. She told me Immigration at the airport, as they were trying to leave, gave them such a hard time that she thought they might deny them boarding and ? But, after fining them for one day, scaring them and using very hard language on the three unobtrusive ladies, they let them on their flight back to the US.

I'm sure others, maybe, have had milder encounters, but it just shows the uncertainties of traveling in Indonesia. I wouldn't want to break the law in that country for sure!

http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/consular/acs_faq.html#one13

Quote : "What happens if I overstay my visa in Indonesia?

Indonesia strictly enforces its immigration/visa requirements. Travelers who overstay visas on arrival are subject to a fine of U.S. $20 per day and other sanctions. Westerners, including Americans, have been jailed for visa violations and/or overstays. Violators may also be subject to substantial fines and/or deportation from Indonesia for immigration and visa violations. Immigration officials have also detained foreigners for conducting business, academic or other non-tourist activities while on visitor status. Volunteer work with local or international NGOs is not permitted while on visitor status. Penalties for such immigration/visa violations have included a prison sentence of up to 5 years and a fine of Rupiah 25 million. Travelers are encouraged to contact an Indonesian consular office to determine the appropriate visa category before traveling to Indonesia. Please see http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/c...052.html."

Overstaying fine is Rp250k a day plus it's a hassle to deal with the immigration staff. I strongly recommend against it unless you know people who have immigration experience.

Singapore Indonesian Embassy does the visa in 2 working days. Fly there, get it done then take off. There are companies who handle visa applications which pickup the passport, do the application and deliver the passport back to your hotel.

Just buy a return ticket on Air Asia to KUL or SIN for the day. That's less than $300 per person. Then you can stay another 30 days.

From personal experience, it is 250k rupies/day/person, plus verbal hassel and 100% luggage inspection.

Don't try to play around with this one!

Seagrant - Just wondering why a 60 day tourist visa was such a hassle for you. I've gotten one each of the past 4 yrs thru the Consulate General in LA fairly quick & easy. Wrote my own letter stating intend, itinerary, who I was diving with, everything with pre-paid, had money to cover misc expenses, etc. No problem. Usually takes about 10 days door to door.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements