Sign in to follow this  
blurk

Can the second strobe be different from the first?

I currently have a Nikon D300 in an Ikelite housing with an Ikelite DS-51 strobe and I'm thinking about adding a second one. Does that have to be another DS-51 or can I add the stronger DS-125? Any suggestions?

/Sebastian

I currently have a Nikon D300 in an Ikelite housing with an Ikelite DS-51 strobe and I'm thinking about adding a second one. Does that have to be another DS-51 or can I add the stronger DS-125? Any suggestions?

I think you will be quite limited in choices of what you shoot if you select another Ikelite DS-51. If you want to stick with macro shots, it would be fine, but if you are at all considering wide angle images, the Ikelite DS-51 is not a good choice as it's not a very powerful strobe. OTOH, if you are shooting with two strobes and one of them is the DS-51 and the other is the DS-125, your lighting may be uneven. If finances permit, you may want to consider buying two DS-125 strobes. You could keep the DS-51 or sell it to raise additional funds to offset the cost of the additional DS-125.

In any event, I probably would advise against purchasing another DS-51 unless you want to shoot macro exclusively.

My two cents,

Ellen

/Sebastian

DS-125s are discontinued, though there may be stock and/or used ones.

Though I like having matched strobes, I have shot various combinations, more so earlier on. First had a DS-50 since I had an Ike Housing at the time and wanted TTL. Then added a DS-125. Then added my older YS-90DX to the DS-125. Then shot two DS-125s. Now carry a couple of sets of strobes, pair of DS-125s and a pair of YSS-90DX. Anyway each addition I liked, so when I added the DS-125 to the DS-50 I preferred what I was getting more than a DS-50 alone.

I use a DS-160 & DS-125 mix on TTL with the 125 filling in shadows quite successfully.

The difference between a 125 and 51 is somewhat greater though and the colour temp is different.

Using them on manual could work although you'd constantly be cutting back on the 125 and not using it to full benefit.

I'm assuming you have a used DS-125 in mind, it was replaced by the 160 some while ago.

hi

i think a ds51 as a second strobe for wide angle is perfect as you don't want even lighting. A d125 a the main strobe set to manual or ttl would give you a good color and depth of field. You need subtle shadows to add depth to a pic. Total even light is boring. The ds51 would add subtle lighting to fill in the shadows but still be 1 f stop less power than the ds125 which is what looks nice.

Thanks for all the replies!

Two DS-125 (or 160) is unfortunately more than my budget allows. So I would say my options are either 2 DS-51 or 1 DS-51 and 1 DS-125/160. The reason for the upgrade is that I'm going on a workshop with Alex Mustard in January. The focus will be lighting (both wide angle and macro). As I've understood from your posts it can be quite succesful to use two different strobes if you want to lighten up the shadows, but will the difference in color temperature cause any problems when correcting the white balance? And will I notice any large difference in when using either the DS 125+51 setup or the DS51+51 in wide angle shooting (I'm using the sigma 10-20 on a 1.5x sensor)? Also, I've not quite understood if different strobes require that I use a manual setting on one of them...

/Sebastian

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements