Sign in to follow this  
raarsen

180mm macro +4 dioptre

Dear all,

I started experimenting with a Sigma 180mm macro lens and a +4 B+W dioptre. It gives me about the same magnification as the Nikon 60mm macro but at a larger working distance (approx. 15cm) so you don't scare the subject away. Depth of field is only a couple of mm and I'm learning to focus again. Sharpness is not always on the closest eye. Here are some examples. All photos f22 at 1/200 sec, manual focus (in fact I don't touch the focus but leave it on minimal distance), Sea & Sea YS350 at 1/4 power and YS90 at 1/2, pointed forward. Comments welcome.

--Rob

I like the lighting and composition, however I think the depth of field may be too shallow, the only one that looks sharp is the last image.

Mark

I agree with Mark on this one.

The last shot is the only one that catches my eye - because the eyes are in focus.

If on the 1'st and 3'rd picture the eyes would allso be in focus, then they might work as well.

Thank You for sharing Rob!!

Karel

thanks guys.

I think the combination may work but I defenitely need more practice.

--Rob

thanks guys.

I think the combination may work but I defenitely need more practice.

--Rob

what port options/focus rings are you using?

Hi Turbo,

the port is the same FP-102 B I use with my 60mm, no extension ring. I customized the focus ring. It's the old Subal focus ring for 180mm/5.6 I used with my Miniflex housing but I stretched it to fit the ND80 housing (using a razor saw and sheet styrene).

Best regards,

--Rob

I think you are trying this with very difficult subjects, maybe try a subject that is a little more "2-dimensional" to begin with :)

good luck,

Scott

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements