Afrodiver

National Geographic Grant and Ben Horton

Ben Horton, a National Geographic Young Explorer has worked extensively with sharks and conservation over the years. Cocos Island and the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica are two extremely hard hit fishing areas for sharks where much of his research and work has occurred. They are amazing areas to see. He is trying to mount a new expedition to Rio Sereina where Bull sharks meet with Crocodiles at feeding time, in order to show their relationship and help preserve this incredible event for future generations. Right now on National Geographics web site he is in a race to get a grant and you can help him by giving a vote up to once a day in support of his efforts. Please check it out and help him win!!

Ben Horton - National Geographic Young Exlorer

Yeah, I can't vote from here in the UK either. Strangely for an international magazine, NG seems to think the world does not exist if you do not possess a US zip code...

Now that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, basing decisions about granting scientific expeditions on public voting... As a scientist this just boggles my mind, the only thing that should be taken into consideration when trying to decide if you will fund an expedition is scientific merit. I had two grants from Nat Geo before (one to Sao Tome in West Africa and another to Cocos Keeling Indian Ocean), but that never happened to me, I think my proposals weren't charismatic enough.

Now that's the stupidest thing I ever heard, basing decisions about granting scientific expeditions on public voting... As a scientist this just boggles my mind, the only thing that should be taken into consideration when trying to decide if you will fund an expedition is scientific merit. I had two grants from Nat Geo before (one to Sao Tome in West Africa and another to Cocos Keeling Indian Ocean), but that never happened to me, I think my proposals weren't charismatic enough.

News Corporation / Fox Entertainment Group has a majority ownership of National Geographic Ventures (the taxable arm of the Society) and does most of the marketing and distribution. I believe any such association can result in tainting their environmental and educational initiatives, particularly with the National Geographic Channel.

Haha, so it looks like my brother has been doing some promoting for me!

It's true there are better ways to go about it, but remember NG needs to MAKE

money too, not just give it away to grantees like us. And this is great promotion

for causes that go unnoticed by the general public.

On the plus side, when the project does happen, there's a very good chance we'll get this place

made into a Marine Reserve. I'm going to do my project either way, I just won't have the

funding I would like to have if I don't "win."

Oh and I forgot to mention!

It's also a great way to gauge public interest.

I feel sad that I have to choose between elephants and sharks :)

What is this world coming to :)

Sponsors

Advertisements