Sign in to follow this  
nat

ATTENTION TO ALL NEXUS USER

DEAR ALL,

I JUST FLOOD MY 5D MK2 Yesterday during my first dive in similans.

I've use Nexus from 1996 from nexus f90 to master ,D70 and D200 in Digital era and never been lost any camera .

This October Canon Thailand ask me to represent Canon and switch me from Nikon to canon 5D mk 2

So i bought Nexus 5D MK 2 for my Canon.

I got almost every port in M5 but I don't know why Nexus change from M5 to M6 (only for some stupid bigger lens )

I check in their official website that adapter from M6 to M5 cannot use with Big dome port like FP230-5 FP170-5 AND FP160-5

But on the second remark they said that for NF15-5 (small dome that use with sigma 15mm can use with this adapter but can not

put Dome shade in.

So I have done the most stupid thing in my life I put my 5D MK2 in Nexus housing with M6-M5 Adapter and put NF15-5 Dome port on without Dome shade.

It's seem to be OK in first 20 meters but when I see a small droplet on back of housing I try to get back to surface immediately after a few seconds from first droplet on the way back to surface seawater trap in my Nexus 5D MK2 i see that flash pop out and then monitor black out and soon water trap in side my 5d mk 2 .

these all happen in just a few seconds . I've been minor leak a fews time in my F90 and D200 housing but this time is totally flood

and I lost my 4000 USD camera before I can reach surface .

I sending my camera to Canon and I think it can not fix and it's not canon fault at all.

i think it's my fault because i'm not check housing before put camera inside but most of minor leak is not flood and I never lost any camera so I didn't test

but I think Nexus should be wrong to put fault information in their official website too. (you can check in www.anthis.co.jp)

Meaning: Bad things happen when you go Canon.

Sorry, couldn't miss the joke. :)

Anyway, sorry for your flood, I've had one before.

Out of my infinite stupidity while on a job at a swimming academy: changing films many times, I ended up biting the flash sync cable (the one inside the housing from the hot-shoe to the bulkhead) on the housing while closing it... one big blurp of water did it at 1 foot deep.

It seems it is not a matter of "If" but rather a matter of "When".

And thanks for the advice to the Nexus users.

Good Luck! (next time at least... this is why most of my posts ends with: "Good Luck").

i think it's my fault because i'm not check housing before put camera inside but most of minor leak is not flood and I never lost any camera so I didn't test

but I think Nexus should be wrong to put fault information in their official website too. (you can check in www.anthis.co.jp)

Nat,

I am so sad for your loss and thanks for the warning. A good procedure is to check any new set up without a camera. Better to make one dive w/o a camera than to lose the camera. Nexus does suggest checking the housing w/o camera after a flight. I use a 3 pound soft weight wrapped in a rag instead of the camera in the housing.

Bob

weird, the 5D2 is supposed to be well builded. I've heard from 5D falling totally in the water for a few seconds with L lense, and are still working fine.

Now seriously, yeah you might have rushed a bit diving with a brand new housing without checking it without the camera..

But have you traced the origin of the flood?

Are you 100% sure it was from the ports?

I am no Nexus user, but doesn't Nexus have a leak alarm? If it has, didn't it tripped?

Good Luck

I think Nexus should be wrong to put fault information in their official website too. (you can check in www.anthis.co.jp)

After reading this statement I feel compelled to add a similar story. I have a friend that bought a Nexus housing for here D80. Soon after, she bought a dome port. She was planning on shooting whale sharks in the Philippines. I loaned her my Nikkor 10.5 fisheye. On a test dive the housing had a complete flood in the first few seconds of the dive. She was kind enough to tilt the housing in a way that the lens was not damaged but her camera was destroyed. We looked at the setup over and over and there was nothing obvious right a way so we were initially baffled. I agreed to come to her house to do some testing in her pool with and empty housing. As I was putting the dome on (with no extension) I was looking at how the oring lined up with the housing, it looked good. Then I noticed there was a bracket on the housing (front) that the back of the dome would come to rest against during the last revolutions of the tightening. I had a look at her owners manual. There was nothing written in the manual about removing this bracket (or even mentioning it), and in fact all diagrams, photographs of the housing did not have this bracket at all. I removed the two screws holding the bracket, removed the bracket and put the dome on and it did not flood. I think providing an owners manual for a camera that does not outline this booby trap is pretty irresponsible. The bracket is actually a rectangular piece of steel that looks like a dovetail connection for another strobe arm or other accessory. In a hurry to get the housing on the market and make some $$$ Nexus decided to rush an incomplete manual with inaccurate diagrams at the expense of their valued customers. By the way, this bracket stopped the dome from coming down less that 1mm different from when the bracket was removed, nearly imperceptible.

I am no Nexus user, but doesn't Nexus have a leak alarm? If it has, didn't it tripped?

No leak alarm; just point the port down and look for pooled water :) Seriously, there is not much free space inside the housing.

Bob

Then I noticed there was a bracket on the housing (front) that the back of the dome would come to rest against during the last revolutions of the tightening. I had a look at her owners manual.

Whoa Dave,

Thanks for the heads up. I have an early D80 housing. The 170 mm port with a 40 mm extension mounts fine. I will try a Tokina 10-17 w/o extension soon. I think that bracket is to add an accessory like remote control if Toshi every gets around to it.

Please tell you friend to remove the rubber view find plate before closing the housing. It will press on the housing back. That should be in the manual (if you can read Japanese).

Bob

The M6 to M5 adapter ring has a flat surface for the port or extension o-ring to contact. It also has a beveled surface adjacent to the flat surface. If the port contacts the beveled portion first the o-ring will not seat properly. A leak will result. This is the case trying to mount the FP170 port directly to the adapter ring. It will not seal. With a M5 extension ring installed between port & adapter, no problem. These things need to be checked very carefully. Always dive a new setup to double check before installing camera. Wasn't aware that the front bracket could also cause a fitment problem. It was removed on both my D70 & D300 housings when received.

Edited by jcclink

The M6 to M5 adapter ring has a flat surface for the port or extension o-ring to contact. It also has a beveled surface adjacent to the flat surface. If the port contacts the beveled portion first the o-ring will not seat properly. A leak will result. This is the case trying to mount the FP170 port directly to the adapter ring. It will not seal. With a M5 extension ring installed between port & adapter, no problem. These things need to be checked very carefully. Always dive a new setup to double check before installing camera. Wasn't aware that the front bracket could also cause a fitment problem. It was removed on both my D70 & D300 housings when received.

I'm also take front bracket off too.

I have talk with many friends of mine including Tony Wu he have call to his Japanese friends and they all said that M6-M5 adapter can use with small glass dome NF15-5 this information was published in catalogue and also in there website. From my point of view I think I have done nothing wrong in set up (I have use nexus for 14 years) only one thing that I 'm wrong were not leak test with empty housing.

I think Nexus have Test their housing with adapter and NF15-5 in pressure tank test but not a real field test because in real world we did not let housing sleep down on the floor and take it off after an hour in same position . A small dome that not contain much air volume seem not to be effect much in lab test but in the sea is total different.

For me I think nexus is the great housing by design and ergonomic that suit asian people compare to american or European housing but their marketing

cannot compare with Sea&Sea and others , After sale service is not great compare to american housing that I have use before ikelite and gate are great service aquatica is not bad too.

If I live in america I will use american brand for super service!

i 'm e-mail to nexus but no respond at all . if there are american brand I will get e-mail back in 24 hr. ( I got 5 nexus and I think my next housing may be another brand)

I'm confirm that leakage came from dome port because I see bubble came out from that .

and I did not take 170 Dome port but NF15-5 a small glass dome

Edited by nat

For me I think nexus is the great housing by design and ergonomic that suit asian people compare to american or European housing but their marketing

cannot compare with Sea&Sea and others , After sale service is not great compare to american housing that I have use before ikelite and gate are great service aquatica is not bad too.

If I live in america I will use american brand for super service!

i 'm e-mail to nexus but no respond at all . if there are american brand I will get e-mail back in 24 hr. ( I got 5 nexus and I think my next housing may be another brand)

Hi Nat

Sorry to hear abt your situation

Yes, Nexus Japan is not very customer oriented. But that was because the big boss Kozawa-san doesn't communicate in English, phone nor email. What we, as distributor for Nexus gears, do, was to call up and speak to his assistant who will then translate for both parties (technical details, orders, etc). We have, on our part, compiled most information into English. Even when we visit him in Japan on a few occasions, he will speak only Japanese to use and we in English!

We have visited Kozawa-san workshop in Japan and we have seen his testings of gear to be very stringent. We bought with us a Nexus housing (used by pro photographer William Tan) that was dropped on hard ground and was badly dented on the O ring groove. Mr William Tan requested to have his film housing repaired as it was out of production. What Kozawa-san did on his housing was amazing. Remolding area, precision machining etc. The whole housing was as good as new after 4 days. Specification tolerances were like as new.

Drop me a mail. Let us know how we can help u in this matter, be it leak testing, maintenance, technical info sharing or even chit chat so that we can serve u better. We believe we have the means and expertise to serve your problems

John

Fun-In UW Photography Equipments

www.fun-in.com.tw

info@fun-in.com.tw

China, Singapore, Taiwan

thank you John. I feel much better to know that were communication problem .

But I feel strongly to let them know that M6-M5 adapter can not use with NF15-5

And they should inform right information to customer

I think my housing doesn't need to check anything because I just come back from sipadan a week before it's work well with

FP-170-6 but I need to try a new set up with 16-35 so I bought adapter M6-M5 and I don't wanna carry both FP170-5 and FP-170-6

SO I pack my housing with M6-M5 adapter and plan to shoot 15 mm on NF-15-5 (that recommend in their website)

I don't think Nexus nor Canon should responsible for my camera .

I will keep this housing for a while wait until camera price drop down to earth and find out a second hand one to use with this housing

maybe next few year later

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements