Sign in to follow this  
maria cm

Strobe for Panasonic LX3 with Subtronic S6 Bulkhead

Hi there,

Please excuse me, I have done a search for LX3 and don't appear to have come up with anything so I am probably doing it wrong in some way...

Could anyone help me on what would be a good strobe to use with the above combo?

Please be kind as I have not a clue about photography.

Thanks and best wishes,

Maria

Hi there,

Please excuse me, I have done a search for LX3 and don't appear to have come up with anything so I am probably doing it wrong in some way...

Could anyone help me on what would be a good strobe to use with the above combo?

Thanks and best wishes,

Maria

:)

Hi Maria,

First of all, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Wetpixel.

Can you be more specific in what you think you're doing wrong and/or what you're searching for?

The Panasonic is a highly regarded digital compact and I don't doubt you will be able to get some nice images using it.

I'd also like to hear about any of your diving experiences with the camera and what happened when you tried to use it.

There are several strobes that will do the job. A lot depends on your budget. I am partial to Inon strobes because they are small, very dependable and easy to use. But there are a few other brands out there.

Maria, we were all beginners at one time and not all of us have a background in photography. In any event, you've come to the right place as we're here to help you achieve your goals in underwater photography. There are also a lot of resources out there to help you.

Kind regards,

Ellen

So far I think the best options with this housing are by using a fiber optic cord. Thee is a little window at the front for a velcroed cord. That opens lost of options; Sea & Sea, Inon, Fantasea, many others. Otherwise I am having the housings built with a Nikonos bulkhead, which also is more universal.

Jack

So far I think the best options with this housing are by using a fiber optic cord. Thee is a little window at the front for a velcroed cord. That opens lost of options; Sea & Sea, Inon, Fantasea, many others. Otherwise I am having the housings built with a Nikonos bulkhead, which also is more universal.

Jack

Thank you Jack. I think the Subtronic bulkhead may have been a mistake :) Is there a brand that does really fast recycle times compared to the others or perhaps a connector that converts subtronic to Nikonos or something? Seems a shame to have the hotshoe connection and be unable to use it. I think I need a strobe with manual controls as when I borrowed a strobe and fibre optic cable there didn't seem to be any variance in the intensity of the flash (unless I am doing it wrong)

best wishes,

maria

Hi Maria,

First of all, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Wetpixel.

Can you be more specific in what you think you're doing wrong and/or what you're searching for?

The Panasonic is a highly regarded digital compact and I don't doubt you will be able to get some nice images using it.

I'd also like to hear about any of your diving experiences with the camera and what happened when you tried to use it.

There are several strobes that will do the job. A lot depends on your budget. I am partial to Inon strobes because they are small, very dependable and easy to use. But there are a few other brands out there.

Maria, we were all beginners at one time and not all of us have a background in photography. In any event, you've come to the right place as we're here to help you achieve your goals in underwater photography. There are also a lot of resources out there to help you.

Kind regards,

Ellen

Thanks Ellen - the 10 bar housing is not a design classic IMO. All the functions do work but the ones involving the select and directional arrows take some fiddling. Ironically the joystick is easier to use which I understand they had trouble with (although you do have to operate it backwards - push left to go right etc)

Really like the camera itself - the housing is workable and seems very robust. I can't seem to get the flash to vary though, when using the camera on it's own or with a borrowed strobe. Hence my kerfuffle on what to buy

best wishes,

maria

Are you based in Europe? Subtronic strobes are quite popular there so a Subtronic strobe should be a good one for you. I believe they come in several different sizes but not sure.

Do the people you bought your housing from have a selection of strobes that would fit your bulkhead?

Are you based in Europe? Subtronic strobes are quite popular there so a Subtronic strobe should be a good one for you. I believe they come in several different sizes but not sure.

Do the people you bought your housing from have a selection of strobes that would fit your bulkhead?

Hi Mike,

I'm in England and took advice from an Australian friend about which bulkhead to get (perhaps a mistake as Nikonos 5 pin is standard in the UK too I have now found out). I've contacted Subtronic and they are suggesting the Pro 160 which retails at about £900 (eek) and say I need a converter from Heinrick Weinkamp to make it work AND to also get a converter from s6 to Nikonos 5 pin as apparently their strobe comes with that connection!!!!

It is all hassling me badly :)

best wishes,

Maria

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements