Sign in to follow this  
DivinDiva

My Nudibranch Discovery

I was very excited last month when I emailed Bill Rudmen from the sea slug forum with a unidentified sea slug.

This past weekend we got in a few dives before hurricane Isabelle on the U352 where I discovered several juveniles along with their egg case.

Check them out on the Sea slug forum

Seaslug Forum

I wonder where my new found friends will end up after the hurricane?

Sandy

This is a great discovery Sandy,

Where did you found them on the sub?

The last time I went on the sub was the last weekend in August and since I had students the only thing we did was to touch the bottom and to come back. One of them got down to 1000 psi just on the descent ...

I will be going again to Beaufort 4-5 November. I don't know where we are going. I am looking forward to see what Isabel did too.

Vlad

Vlad,

I found them on the top of the sub just behind the conning tower. There were 6 juveniles and the egg case. We had bad vis (about 5 ft on the sub but 50-100 above 80 ft) that day with Isabel on our tails. The surge was really picking up and it was everything I could do to stay still enough to get the shots. We actually went into DECO that dive because we ran into the egg case on the way back to the line with no time left. With plenty of air, I couldn't pass up the opportunity and stayed a minute or two longer to get some pictues.

I will be back down next weekend Oct 25-28 for 4 days of diving. I'll let you know if any are still there although I can't see how it is possible. It will be fun to get out after a hurricane to see if anything gets dug up.

We saw our frog fish on the sub again too. He has been in the same spot the last 2 times we were there. About 10 ft behind the conning tower on the port side about half way up there is a bracket that is shaped like a u. Maybe to hold a torpedo. He seems to like to perch on there. Take a good look next time you are there.

Sandy

Sandy,

Thank you for the info.

I am SO looking forward to see what Isabel did with the wrecks

You said you saw a frog fish?

Do you have a picture of it?

Are you sure it is not a toad fish?

If you don't know about this website check it out is really cool for fish on the NC coeast:

http://core.ecu.edu/biol/nortons/NCFishes/index.htm

It helped me way more than the reef fish book I have although the pictures on the fish on the website suck.

I hope I'll see your nudis when I'll go.

Vlad

The vis was crappy. Since I have taken several pictures of him before I decided to try macro. Here is my attempt. It looks like he has tons of parasites on him.

frogeye.jpg

I think this is smooth-skinned scorpion Sandy!?

Now that you say that and I look more closely maybe it is not the frogfish. This is the same spot I had seen the frogfish on and kinda assumed it was him. They are equally as ugly.

Here is a wider angle of the fish I recently seen.

subfish.jpg

And here is the Oscillated frogfish I had seen earlier in the same locale.

frog.jpg

They do look different. Now that you see a larger view is it a smooth skinned scorpion fish? Thanks for the ID!

By the way Vlad, they are finding silverware on the Schurz that Isabel has uncovered.

Sandy

Sandy,

Thank you for the info.

I have to see the cool stuff you are finding. I have never seen a frog fish on the wrecks on NC. I have to pay more attention!

I found a megalodon tooth on the reef close to Indra once. How about that for a discovery :-)

Silver on Schurtx ... intresting.

I hope we will have great weather and we will be able to get off shore.

I need to over pump my tanks to get longet bottom time :-)

I'll let you know how it was.

Vlad

I think this is smooth-skinned scorpion Sandy!?

My husband is still convinced that the recent photo is a frogfish. The markings on the eye look the same. Check out a different pair of frogfish that we spotted on the papoose. (As you can see I had trouble lighting both with only one strobe.) The larger one (I am told the female is much larger than the male) looks vey similar to the recent one on the sub. I didn't notice the horn on his forehead but if you look closely it is flapped over.

2frogfish.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sandy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements