Sign in to follow this  
Mary Malloy

Inon z240 o ring

I am new to the Inon strobe and love it due to its small size and weight, BUT..... suddenly the damn o ring keeps squeezing out as I tighten the battery cap down. I have tried greasing the inside of the cap itself but the problem persists. When I finally get it right it seals, but so frustrating with so many attempts.

Surely I'm not the first to experience this problem, what are others doing???

Mary

I've had Inon D2000's for several years and never had a problem (still using original o-rings) closing them up. I do grease the o-ring and inside of the cap lip. If you are having this problem often I would suspect the o-ring may be out of tolerance. Have you tried your spare o-ring? Another thing you can try is a different cap if you have a buddy with Inon strobes or have a shop close. The o-ring would be my first suspect.

Jeff

I have two Z-240's and have had no trouble. I grease the O-ring only and slowly turn the cap on. I watch the O-ring to see how it behaves but it has always stayed in place correctly. I agree with JBriggs, sounds like you might have a part that is out of tolerance and the O-ring would be the first suspect.

Using the wrong grease can make the Silicone O-ring swell but I am guessing you are still using the grease they sent with the unit.

This happened to me a few months ago as well. I hadn't even noticed that the o-ring had slipped out of place untill I did a final inspection of my setup. The o-ring was shot, so I used the spare and have had no problems since. And yes, I only use Inon grease.

If it's a silicone o-ring (red) then too much grease could be the problem. Even a small amount of the supplied grease applied repeatedly over time. The material will swell & elongate, & no longer fit properly in the groove. Silicone o-rings do not require grease of any kind. Spit works just fine as a lubricant & does not effect the material.

I agree that the OP should replace the o-ring. It has probably just gotten stretched. It is absolutely essential that these o-rings get lubed. Remember the grease doesn't have anything to do with sealing. All the grease does is reduce the sliding friction during assembly. In fact it is probably that friction that stretched the o-ring in the first place. I use Christolube for all of my o-rings and have never had any problems with swelling. YMMV

Edited by drsteve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements