Sign in to follow this  
scubamarli

Suggestions for different diving/accomodation in Bali

Hi everyone,

It looks like I'm back to Bali for July 2010. I have 9 days at Seraya, but want to do something different for four days in advance. I will have some serious jet lag, as there is no stopover en route. I have been to Bali 4 times before, so have been to many of the well known sites, including Nusa Penida, Lembongan, Tulamben, Menjangan, Amed, Secret Bay. I would like this to be rather cheap and cheerful, but would like A/C and rather stressless diving...in otherwords no ripping current to drag the rig around in. Looking at the calendar, the full moon is the day before I would check out. I am considering North Bali or Padang Bai. I will be doing masses of macro at Seraya, so it would be nice to dive some coral sites/walls. I'd probably do 2 or 3 days of diving....any suggestions would be welcome. Nitrox would be nice, but air is ok if need be.

Cheers,

Marli

hey Marli

Absolute scuba in padang bai has nitrox and nice very reasonably priced accommodations with AC. The local padang bai sites are great for macro, and a short boat ride away is tepekong/biaha with gorgeous walls and corals. However, tepekong and biaha are famous for their strong currents, but when timed properly with the tides it can be calm. Here's my latest bali dive report. I'm sure others will chime in too.

good luck!

Scott

Edited by sgietler

Enjoyed your dive report on Bali. I am thinking of returning in 2010 and it will be most useful.

Thanks

Cheap accommodations, nitrox, easy diving, lots to photograph -- in Bali.

No Problem. Tulamben Wreck Divers. Cheaper than most of the resorts in Tulamben and an easy walk across the street to the Liberty Wreck.

Marli

Waterworx's Wolfgang is a member on this board. I know a few people who have used him before. Do a search on his posts in the forum.

I do suggest you consider Amed and its surrounds. The wreck at Banyuning and its surrounds ( the Japanese fishing boat wreck which was mistakenly called the Lipah Bay wreck (that wreck is a wood boat! great for snorkel but...) in the Periplus book) are pretty and there are a few WA options there, since the coral (acorpora, leather etc) over growth is good and there are little reef fish in the thousands here. You do get schooling batfish and bumphead parrot fish there too. Then off in the sandy areas, you have good cephalopod action including mimicus and photogenicus. Ops there are Jukung Dive (which I personally would not recommend!) and Amed Dive Center (never used them) but met the management. It's a part Balinese owned establishment, and I always try to support the locals more than the foreign operations, unless they are totally unsafe! So please try them and let me know how they are! :)

Note the diving is done by the local fishing boats (jukung) which is a great way to support the locals and get them into protecting the areas. They are a bit narrow and the sides are a bit high so be careful handing your camera (port facing AWAY from the sides!)

Since Amed is only about 30mins from Tulamben, it's an easy trip over and I think it's much more pleasant than Padang Bai. Candi Dasa/Manggis gives you access to the Bali Gili islands (not the Gili Trawangan/Meno off Lombok) and is to me a much better choice in terms of accomodation and restaurants. I'm not the biggest fan of Tepekong but you do get the odd gem there sometimes like rhinopia and thresher sharks and such. I don't specifically go there often but have been arm twisted by a few friends who like the resorts in Manggis.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements