Sign in to follow this  
Shaff

Technical Diving in the Maldives

Technical Diving in the Maldives   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do technical diving in the Maldives, if it allowed? Please state YES or NO and also provide why.

• YES
    • NO

Hi All!

I'm doing a little survey regarding Technical Diving as we're trying to get the Government of the Maldives to give permission to do Tec Diving here in the Maldives. So...If Tec Diving is introduced in the Maldives, would you do it? Please specify a reason if your answer is 'NO'. Also if it's 'YES', would like to know.

Best fishes

Shaff

Edited by Shaff

Hi Shaff,

Not neccesarily tech for me, but the chance to do 40m for me would be good, maybe it might be easier to acheive that one first as a stepping stone? Mind you, from resorts I'm not sure it would be that popular for the dive centres to run, just on liveaboards

Cheers

Woody

Hi Shaff,

Not neccesarily tech for me, but the chance to do 40m for me would be good, maybe it might be easier to acheive that one first as a stepping stone? Mind you, from resorts I'm not sure it would be that popular for the dive centres to run, just on liveaboards

Cheers

Woody

Hi Woody,

A few resort dive centers are interested in teaching tec and also a few liveaboards. It's not just about going deep...

Shaff

oh ok Shaff good luck to them, if they get it approved that would be good for me too then I guess.

Maybe its easier to put a poll up for a response Shaff? A full edit on your post might allow it?

oh ok Shaff good luck to them, if they get it approved that would be good for me too then I guess.

Maybe its easier to put a poll up for a response Shaff? A full edit on your post might allow it?

Thanks. Poll up.

I would love if there was a place that took care of rebreather diving...

It would be nice to be able to show up with a BP/W and a long hose, without a dive op going all Chicken Little on us.

Let alone doing some casual deco.

All the best, James

I must say that I really do not see the point of going deep for deeps sake. I know that the techie community here in the UK seem to shun anything that is not 50m+ deep. Want you have not mentioned is what the Maldive have deep that makes it worth going down there.

The Maldive is usually known for mantas and fish life which would appear to be perfectly acceptable under the current limit. What is tec going to add (other than increased bends and possibly deaths)?

D

I would love if there was a place that took care of rebreather diving...

hey rocha: there are some divingschools with rebreather diving. one of the rebreather gurus here is axel horn. he used to be on gan, but moved on to thulagiri. his contact details are on http://www.divegan.com or here: http://195.170.100.137/kunden/14/index.php

I must say that I really do not see the point of going deep for deeps sake. I know that the techie community here in the UK seem to shun anything that is not 50m+ deep. Want you have not mentioned is what the Maldive have deep that makes it worth going down there.

The Maldive is usually known for mantas and fish life which would appear to be perfectly acceptable under the current limit. What is tec going to add (other than increased bends and possibly deaths)?

D

truely the maldives are not known for being worth to go deep, but there are a few divesides there defentily worth going deeper (if you like so) eg. in gan, there are some awesome drop offs.

Edited by divetheworld

D

Good day DDT. My interpretation of the question was "for those that already tech dive, would you do so in the Maldives"? I say this because a vacation is usually too short of timeline to adequately learn the skills for technical diving, so, it would be a skill that you would already have in hand, as you plan your vacation.

As far as why dive technical, here's an example:

In our town we have a (new-ish) art museum. It's been here for 10 years. Finally last month I went to visit - and I walked away saying "Wow! I had no idea there was this much cool stuff to see - I should have come here sooner".

Technical diving - especially in the "easy deco" Tech 1 depths - is the same. We've been bludgeoned - with the myth that all the life worth seeing is in the top 10 meters. There is plenty of amazing life deeper, and some of the most breathtaking dives have been dives like this:

I take umbrage at the implication that technical diving in the Maldives will have divers being bent and dead willy-nilly. To be honest, all my overhead-restricted dives are so much better planned, and carefully executed, than a plain-vanilla recreational dive. I honestly feel safer when in the company of similar mindset divers with real redundancy.

Try it! ...you might like it.

All the best, James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements