brycegroark

Issues with Inon Z220s

My strobes are working perfectly for what seems like around 20 minutes at the beginning of asthe dive and then they struggle. Sometimes they fire, other times not. Sometimes it takes almost 5 seconds or more before the ready light is on again - and then they won't fire. Then only one will fire, etc.... But - they are perfect at the beginning.

So - I bought all new batteries - Maha Powerex (same I've used for years) and the problem was the same.

I've recently upgraded to the Aquatica 5d Mk2 - and am wondering if something went wrong in the hot shoe? Note - this problem did not ever occur on my previous Aquatica housings - only when I switched to the MK2.

Any suggestions or similar stories? Wondering if maybe they've just died as I've had these for 5 years....

My strobes are working perfectly for what seems like around 20 minutes at the beginning of asthe dive and then they struggle. Sometimes they fire, other times not. Sometimes it takes almost 5 seconds or more before the ready light is on again - and then they won't fire. Then only one will fire, etc.... But - they are perfect at the beginning.

So - I bought all new batteries - Maha Powerex (same I've used for years) and the problem was the same.

I've recently upgraded to the Aquatica 5d Mk2 - and am wondering if something went wrong in the hot shoe? Note - this problem did not ever occur on my previous Aquatica housings - only when I switched to the MK2.

Any suggestions or similar stories? Wondering if maybe they've just died as I've had these for 5 years....

do u have issues when using the strobe with the light sensor?

I don't have anything good to suggest. Maybe check that the contacts are clean in the battery compartment? Alex

Bummer Bryce,

I don't shoot Canon or Aquatica, but I have a dim recall (almost all of them are these days) of a hot shoe problem in the big A's. Ensure that the strobe hot shoe contacts are properly aligned with the camera hot shoe contacts and you might put a small wedge in the housing as a safety.

Ask Jean at Aquatica contact

Good luck!

Bob

Haven't contacted Aquatica. Guess I'll do that now. Really wasn't thinking it was anything with the housing - but after numerous dives with the same situation (no matter what I try to troubleshoot) it still happens. I'll check the contacts Alex - but wouldn't it seem that the issue would happen right from the start if the contacts were off/dirty/rusty? The problem with all this is that everything works fine for the first part of being u/w. They just act up after time down there.....

Off to St Lucia tonight. Was hoping to have this solved.

I do have weird things as well :

one of my z240III (with 5D2/ikelite) is becoming crazy sometimes when it fiire on "FULL", meaning he start to fire and fire again forever.

If I want to use "full" I have to put it back on off and on for every shot...

Autopsea - if you change the power on the strobe, does it work properly? Your issue is only when you have it on Full Power?

Hi Bryce, you could try a continuity test on the connectors, I doubt it’s the source of your problem, in the case of the 5D Mk II we use only the ground and the sync wire, a pretty straightforward circuit, typically it either works or not at all, check also all of your strobes cords and the connectors on both the strobes and the housing, if you pinched or damaged a O-ring on the cord some water might be entering and shorting out the strobes, also have you contacted INON they might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Whenever there is issue with a connector it’s usually related to small amount of water shorting out the wires, in most case,( I know in my case it does), the flash will start triggering quickly and non stop, now that was with Ikelite DS-125 with a pinched bulkhead O-ring at the time (I now use the DS-160 and don't know if they behave like this, honestly don't want to find out either) my point being that different strobes might react differently depending on their trigger load saturation point, I would check the Inon folks if you find that the continuity test of the bulkhead proves it to be in good order.

Edited by Viz'art

Mahalos Jean - I haven't checked with Inon due to the customer service that seems non-existent in the US these days. I have not changed out my Sea and Sea cables but will try this next.

Appreciate the response,

Bryce

Autopsea - if you change the power on the strobe, does it work properly? Your issue is only when you have it on Full Power?

yes, even in manual at 8 or more it's fine for the whole dive.

From your first paragraph it sounds like a power issue. Are you sure your battery charger is working OK? How many shots do you shoot in 20 minutes? I have switched to Eneloops with my Z220's but when I was using Powerex's l would keep them in the charger to the last second.

Tom

Sponsors

Advertisements