Sign in to follow this  
JimG

Fish from N E Sulawesi

Can anybody help with these please?

Maybe the second one is a Honeyhead Damsel which seems to vary greatly in colour.

Thanks in advance

post-2843-1259073721.jpg

post-2843-1259073756.jpg

The damsel does seem to be the Honeyhead. The cardinal is hard to ID with the books I have here, I will get back to you when I get my books in the office...

Thanks to both of you

For the cardinalfish I too thought A. monospilus is the only one bearing any resemblace. But that is just by comparing with the pic in Reef Fish South Pacific. The pics on Fishbase and the Australian Museum site are vey different and don't bear any resemblance.

I have found a technical paper by Randall, Frazer and Allen which indicates that little is known about A. monospilus and only few specimens have ever been examined. However, it does show that the brown colour on Fishbase and the Aus Museum is its night colour and it is much lighter in the daytime (when I took this shot) and with the long brown body stripe. They say it does have a tiny white spot after the second dorsal which mine do.

I'll wait and see if anybody else chimes in or if Luiz comes up with anything else but it looks as though this might only ever be a tentative i.d.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements