H2ophoto

Shooting in a pool with a neutral denisity filter

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experiance using a neutral denisity filter underwater or in a pool?

i need a larger aperture but do not want to change the ISO

Any info would be great.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Are you H2Ophoto on MM also - I think I recognize you!

I have used a ND filter a lot above water and don't see any reason it shouldn't work underwater too. Just watch out for lens flare if direct sun hits the filter.

Cheers

James

Hello James,

Yes I'm the one on MM.

Thanks, it's one of these things everyone has used above the water and not below.

I will let you know how it goes if you interested.

Scott

Berkley White has used a graduated ND filter underwater w/ some great results. Check out his article on Backscatter.com

Now that I think about it, I have actually used one. I have as split ND filter on top and +2 diopter on the bottom. I had to scour the internets but I eventually found a used one for sale someplace. It' works well but you need SUPER calm water and obviously it's just for splits.

Cheers

James

i need a larger aperture but do not want to change the ISO

Sorry I'm confused, and appologies if I've got wrong end of the stick but why not change to a lower ISO :wacko:

I assume that you want to open the aperture (ie lower number) this means more light (to much), hence using a ND. If you still need a slow shutter why not change down the ISO ? going from 400-200 to100 or 50 it will only improve the image quality.

If your getting to much light at your lowest ISO setting then maybe a ND, however you state don't want to change ISO so I assume your not at lowest.

A split ND is another matter and very creative, I love them but only used dry never UW.

Cheers,

Richard B.

I found on the d300 I didn't like what the low Iso setting do to the photos.

I tried the filter and the results are ok.

I was shooting in a pool in the middle of the day.

Thanks for your replys

Sponsors

Advertisements