Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Tasmania suggestions

I am going Tazzie in the new year. Plan is to fly to Hobart and head east and south to dive. But not been before so keen to hear any suggestions of must dive locations and good operators.

Alex

South - Eaglehawk Neck dive shop run by Karen Gowlett-Holmes and Mick. Walls and caverns on sheer cliffs and wild remote scenery. Fortescue Bay shore dive has some of the last giant kelp forests.

Mid east coast - Bicheno - great shore dive to 15m in the main bay and speccy 30m boat dives. Beautiful sleepy little town. Returning male Fairy penguins will keep you awake at night if you get a holiday rental on the esplanade.

Photos here

Thank you. Very useful.

Any guide on water temperature? I must decide before I come whether to bring a drysuit or semi-dry. Last time I came to Australia I dived happily in a drysuit, but that was a Nov-Dec trip, this trip will be Feb-Mar, when I expect it to be warmer.

Alex

Thank you. Very useful.

Any guide on water temperature? I must decide before I come whether to bring a drysuit or semi-dry. Last time I came to Australia I dived happily in a drysuit, but that was a Nov-Dec trip, this trip will be Feb-Mar, when I expect it to be warmer.

Alex

Hi Alex,

in Sydney we dive 5mm wetsuits year round though I prefer dry in the winter when it drops to about 14deg., Tassie to the south is a fair bit cooler than us - I have stuck my foot in the water down at Eaglehawk Neck in summer (December) and would say between 15-17deg (though I haven't dived it). Oh and don't forget to visit the penal colony down there.

Cheers,

Simon

dude, its colder than 20C... drysuit!

and watch out for horny wallabies :wacko:

Eaglehawk Neck with Karen Gowlett-Holmes organizing the diving would be great option.

Alex,

Have done several wonderful dive trips to Tasmania. Both Eaglehawk Neck and Bicheno are superb.

Water temp in Feb/Mar could be anywhere from 14C to 18C, but pray it is on the lower end of the range as the visibility will be better. With the warmer water there can sometimes be algae blooms, reducing the visibility.

There is also great diving and interesting critters at a number of other sites around Tassie, but a lack of dive operators and charter boats can limit the areas you can dive.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nigel

For a first visit a combo of Eaglehawk Neck and Bicheno seems a good start.

Thanks again all. I guess that makes it drysuit, for me then. 14 degree in a semi-dry is pushing it a bit.

Alex

Alex,

The Spotted Handfish in the Derwent estuary in Hobart is regarded as one of Australia's most endandgered fish species. If you are interested in going for a dive on them drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with someone who might be able to take you for a dive on a small colony of them.

I dived it in Winter last year and whilst seeing handfish was fantastic, the 9 degree water wasn't so good! You will need a drysuit if diving in the Derwent!

Also, Tinderbox Marine reserve is also a god macro dive just out of Hobart, I had a good dive there several years ago.

cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Shannon and I were hoping to catch up with you in NSW again too, earlier in our trip. Alex

Thanks all. I think we have our plans in place now. All the advice here has been very valuable.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the late reply - I've been up in Indo without internet.

For photography you will definitely want a drysuit in Tassie - I was born there and learnt to dive there but there is no way that I could dive there now in a 7mm wetsuit like we used to.

Both Bicheno Dive Centre and Eaglehawk Dive Centre run very good operations. I would recommend taking a soft padded bag to protect your gear while on the boats. You will laugh when you see how short the boat rides are at Bicheno - don't get caught out thinking that you will have plenty of time to get ready while the boat travels to the dive site.

Visibility can vary greatly at that time of year, the best visibility is in the middle of winter but it is awfully freaking cold then.

If Gary is still at Eaglehawk DC then be sure to call him "Grumpy Garden Gnome" for me :D I haven't seen him for 15 years but as soon as you call him that he will know you have been talking to me.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements