Alex_Mustard

Melbourne, Victoria suggestions

Hello all,

This one should be easier than Tasmania - as lots of folks on here are from the Melbourne area.

Before heading to Tassie - we'll be spending 4-5 days diving around Melbourne. Looking for suggestions of sites and areas that are productive - ideally shallow, animal rich shore dives are best (as these are also cheapest!). But happy to consider anything that offers something a little bit different.

Alex

Hello all,

This one should be easier than Tasmania - as lots of folks on here are from the Melbourne area.

Before heading to Tassie - we'll be spending 4-5 days diving around Melbourne. Looking for suggestions of sites and areas that are productive - ideally shallow, animal rich shore dives are best (as these are also cheapest!). But happy to consider anything that offers something a little bit different.

Alex

There's three major areas for shallow water dives to consider around Melbourne; the Mornington Peninsula to the east, the Bellarine Peninsula to the west and from either peninsula, exploring the bay and rip.

For the Mornington peninsula, I think Blairgowrie Pier and Flinders Pier should definently be on your list. Also portsea pier and rye pier. For the Bellarine peninsula, St Leonards Pier and Cottage by the Sea reef. If you jump on a boat from either peninsula, you could head out to any of the major deep water dives at the rip, or shallow water dives such as pope's eye, and chinamans hat if your interested in photographying seals.

If you cover those three areas, you'll encounter a fairly diverse range of species. Key species would be weedy seadragons and cowfish at Flinders Pier. Blairgowrie Peir apparently good for octopus, seahorses and nudi's. Maybe even a tassled angler. St Leonards pier for Stargazer, seahorses, nudis. Cottage by the sea for Blue Devils, Seadragons, leatherjackets, cuttlefish etc. Nearby at "The Springs" is also good for fish, rays, catsharks, and maybe a wobbegong.

Pope's eye gives you taste of kelp forest, but if your going to tassie you'll probably have tis covered.

You could try asking on diveoz forums for more info on tassie and melbourne.

Thanks, great info.

Always worried about asking on diving forums, rather than photography forums, because divers tend not to know what we like.

I know if you posted on a British diving forum about diving suggestions in the UK, I would probably not want to do any of the dives.

Alex

Alex, Blairgowrie Marina is the best photographer's shore dive by far. Clean sand bottom, 6m max depth, abundant critters. St Leonards Pier is my local but its siltier shallower and smaller than Blairgowrie.

Photos from Blairgowrie and Google Map

Bellarine Peninsula Shore dives Geelong side of the bay, and Google map

Thanks, great info.

Always worried about asking on diving forums, rather than photography forums, because divers tend not to know what we like.

I know if you posted on a British diving forum about diving suggestions in the UK, I would probably not want to do any of the dives.

Alex

I know what you mean Alex. In a previous incarnation i did a lot of bird photography. Where to see birds is a different thing to where to photograph birds, so you've got to pick your info wisely.

Andrew(panda) knows his stuff, and is much more experienced than me and has a great page about shore dives on the Bellarine Peninsula (which he linked to).

From my limited experience, the mornington peninsula is a better choice for photography. Blairgowrie has the general concensus as the best photographers site, but make sure you check out Flinders to if your after weedy seadragons.

If you dont mind dropping the tanks in favour of a snorkel, and are interested in Nudi's, i can show you an excellent site on the Bellarine peninsula.

Cheers,

Pete

Hello Alex,

When will you be in Victoria? The water temp right now is about 18 degrees celsius.

How do you plan getting around and where are you staying? The 2 peninsulas are hours apart by car.

There are many weedy seadragons with eggs at Flinders Pier right now but it can be heaven or hell for viz.

I know you said you'd rather shore dives, but do one boat dive: Londsale Wall on the flood slack. This site is information overload!!

I live in Queenscliff, a seaside town which overlooks Port Phillip Heads. Depending on your dates maybe I could show you around a bit? I have been photographing Port Phillip Bay 20+ years.

Hope this helps

Mary

Hi there, thought I'd comment on this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm heading to both Melbourne and Sydney in April and was hoping to get a few dives in in both places. Just wondered if anyone could let me know what water temperatures are like at this time of year as I'm not sure what suits to bring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone has any dive club recommendations - that'd be great too!

Many thanks,

Ashley

Hi there, thought I'd comment on this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm heading to both Melbourne and Sydney in April and was hoping to get a few dives in in both places. Just wondered if anyone could let me know what water temperatures are like at this time of year as I'm not sure what suits to bring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone has any dive club recommendations - that'd be great too!

Many thanks,

Ashley

Water temp is still about 20c in Victoria(melbourne). (and possibly a degree or two higher in port phillip bay). Thats about as warm as it gets down here, and autumn is a great time to dive. Water temp will start dropping off over the next couple of months. You want a minimum 5mm wetty, but 7mm is a lot more comfortable for longer dives.

Sydney is generally the same as Melbourne, but i think the water temp doesn't drop off as quickly.

Melbourne is considered one of the better places to see a blue-ring octopus, so keep a lookout for them, especially shallow. The locals can probably let you know where they are most likely to be seen.

Scott

Melbourne is considered one of the better places to see a blue-ring octopus, so keep a lookout for them, especially shallow. The locals can probably let you know where they are most likely to be seen.

Yeah, big suckers too. But you have to night dive. Alex

Yeah, big suckers too. But you have to night dive. Alex

Hey Alex, I'd give Melbourne a miss - too many Victorians live there :lol::) - come to Perth instead. Great place to live and visit, Mediterainan climate, fantastic people with a laid backed life style and some great diving ;)

Karl

Water temp is still about 20c in Victoria(melbourne). (and possibly a degree or two higher in port phillip bay). Thats about as warm as it gets down here, and autumn is a great time to dive. Water temp will start dropping off over the next couple of months. You want a minimum 5mm wetty, but 7mm is a lot more comfortable for longer dives.

Sydney is generally the same as Melbourne, but i think the water temp doesn't drop off as quickly.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll bring my 5mm semi dry and thermal undersuit! saves faffing with my shortie on top!

Can't wait to get out there - still newish to underwater photography and have just upgraded from a canon ixus 850 to a G9... so hoping to get some good pics!

Do you recommend any dive clubs in Melbourne in particular? I'm only really looking for some shore dives where I'm likely to find lots of critters/nudibranchs etc. A picture of a blue ringed octopus would be great! However, I remember reading somewhere that when you see the blue rings... you're for it!!??

Thanks again,

Ashley.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll bring my 5mm semi dry and thermal undersuit! saves faffing with my shortie on top!

Can't wait to get out there - still newish to underwater photography and have just upgraded from a canon ixus 850 to a G9... so hoping to get some good pics!

Do you recommend any dive clubs in Melbourne in particular? I'm only really looking for some shore dives where I'm likely to find lots of critters/nudibranchs etc. A picture of a blue ringed octopus would be great! However, I remember reading somewhere that when you see the blue rings... you're for it!!??

Thanks again,

Ashley.

Here's a list of dive clubs around Melbourne:

http://www.diveoz.com.au/directory_clubs/l...ubs.asp?state=3

And a recent thread on melbourne dive clubs for a better idea:

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums...erms=dive,clubs

Your probably going to need to do a night dive for a good chance at Blue ringed octopus, but you can see them during the day moving around, and if turning over rocks is your kind of thing, you might find one sleeping.

Blairgowrie Peir seems to be the cephlapod capital of Melbourne (and critter capital), so if you put that on your list for a night dive, your near guaranteed to see some type of occy.(or so i hear..never actually night dived there).

If your planning on coming over the Bellarine Peninsula side of the bay, let me know and i can point out some good nudi sites.

Hey Alex, I'd give Melbourne a miss - too many Victorians live there :lol::) - come to Perth instead. Great place to live and visit, Mediterainan climate, fantastic people with a laid backed life style and some great diving ;)

Karl

Dont mind Karl...he just knows we've got better diving and football teams in Victoria!

How did your trip to Melbourne go Alex, any pics to show?

Here's a list of dive clubs around Melbourne:

http://www.diveoz.com.au/directory_clubs/l...ubs.asp?state=3

And a recent thread on melbourne dive clubs for a better idea:

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums...erms=dive,clubs

Your probably going to need to do a night dive for a good chance at Blue ringed octopus, but you can see them during the day moving around, and if turning over rocks is your kind of thing, you might find one sleeping.

Blairgowrie Peir seems to be the cephlapod capital of Melbourne (and critter capital), so if you put that on your list for a night dive, your near guaranteed to see some type of occy.(or so i hear..never actually night dived there).

If your planning on coming over the Bellarine Peninsula side of the bay, let me know and i can point out some good nudi sites.

Hi there,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Will take a look at those sites later when I'm not on my phone. Not sure where I'll be heading yet. I know I'll only have 5 days in Melbourne around the 18th April and no car I don't think so it will all depend on where I can get to. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to Blairgowrie etc so it's something I'll have to look into when I'm there.

Really excited now... Just trying to cut the weight of my case down!!

Dont mind Karl...he just knows we've got better diving and football teams in Victoria!

Only because they are half full of West Aussies :):(:lol::lol:

Karl

(Go the Eagles :) )

Sponsors

Advertisements