Udo van Dongen

Underwater photos from Antarctica

Hi All,

I just updated my website with some of my Antarctica underwater shots. We did a dive expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula from March 10-21st this year with Waterproof Expeditions and it was untill now, without doubt, my most mindblowing dive trip ever. We had a few dives with a leopard seal, but these guys just scare me, so no spectacular mouth-wide-open-over-the-domeport shots from me, and actually i still don't regret it... You can find the Antarctica pictures under 'recent'. Hopefully you like my photos.

cheers, Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen

interesting to see macro from there, usually don't see that from Antarctica.

Must have been amazing

Great work Udo!

I think the over-under shot with the leopard seal is super!

Any chance to read You trip report somewhere?

Thanks for sharing!

Karel

Wow, these are incredible! I too like the over-under but also the #12/20 macro of the amphipods on the pink background - very nice!

Cheers

James

Spectacular; the water clarity is amazing. Cool macro, and yes the seal over/under is my favorite.

Great pictures.

I'd love to read a trip report too-I'm planning a cold water trip in 2012!

Adam

Fantastic shots Udo - what an incredible experience! It's high on my list of destinations...

Great pictures, its very high on my list to get there

Fabulous. Great to see all that colour under the ice. Would love to get down there one day. Now where's that heated drysuit?

Hi All,

Thanx for all your kind words. Actually, i did write an article about this trip and it's availbale in Dutch shops right now but the problem is that it's written in Dutch. I'm still working on a translation, but i'm not a professional translator (and google ranslate isn't really an option), so it takes a lot of time for me to do this.

Because my website is dedicated to underwaterphotography i skipped all the topside photos, but the topside experience is at least half of the fun of a trip like this. So because of that i included some topside photos in this post so you can have an idea of what else to expect on a trip like this. It was a lot of travelling (5 days on an ex-researchvessel + the flights from Amsterdam - Madrid - Buenos Aires - Ushuaia and back) for just 5 and a half days and 9 dives on the Antarctic Peninsula but absolutely worth doing. I have an experience that will last forever!

cheers, Udo

post-6179-1261044671.jpg

post-6179-1261044706.jpg

post-6179-1261044723.jpg

post-6179-1261044733.jpg

post-6179-1261044740.jpg

post-6179-1261044747.jpg

post-6179-1261044755.jpg

post-6179-1261044765.jpg

post-6179-1261044772.jpg

post-6179-1261044780.jpg

Your topside shots are allso amazing!!

Be sure to give the heads up when You'r translation of the article is finished!

Cheers

Karel

Lovely images. I would never want to dive there myself as I was getting cold just looking at you in that water. :-)

One of my favorites was the diver looking at the orange seastar (at least I think it was a seastar)

Well done.

Ellen

Hi Udo.

I really like your photos in Antartica not to mention the rest. They show well how it is down there and it´s hard to capture. Your website is also easy to click through and the look of it is simple and nice.

I put it my favorites at least:-)

Any plans coming back to Iceland?

Gisli A. Gudm

Edited by gassa

Hi Udo.

I really like your photos in Antartica not to mention the rest. They show well how it is down there and it´s hard to capture. Your website is also easy to click through and the look of it is simple and nice.

I put it my favorites at least:-)

Any plans coming back to Iceland?

Gisli A. Gudm

Hi Gisli,

Thanks for your kind words. Antarctica was reaaly a great adventure. I'd love tocome back to iceland, but i'm affraid they'll drown me in thingvellir since i'm dutch, and our countries have a little conflict as you know... ;-).. Did you already discover more Strytans?

cheers, Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen

Hi Gisli,

Thanks for your kind words. Antarctica was reaaly a great adventure. I'd love tocome back to iceland, but i'm affraid they'll drown me in thingvellir since i'm dutch, and our countries have a little conflict as you know... ;-).. Did you already discover more Strytans?

cheers, Udo

:lol: photographers & divers are clever enough to put small disagreement between politics and do what they love to do :D

There are more small geothermal cones in Eyjafjord yet to be discovered by divers. ( they have been found by deepth meters )

I usually dive in one small zone in west side of the fjord, at 20 meters deepth, there I can find more life and easier to dive also.

They are more delicate ( easier to break ) so we have to restrict limit of divers there, but it hasn´t yet been done. To many clumsy divers out there and I can´t avoid thinking how it is in the tropical reefs!!???

Weel, youtube doesn´t lie.

Be in touch if you change your plan!

Gisli A. Gudm

flickr.com/photos/gassa

Story and pictures are so interesting...

I have a plan for different kind of Antartica expedition at November but for sure in a next few years I will go for some scuba diving trip!

Sponsors

Advertisements