Sign in to follow this  
james

Anyone use and Eye-Fi Card?

Has anyone tried one yet? I am getting one for Sarah to use in her compact camera, but I ordered the "pro" version to try out in my MkIII to see what it's like. I'll let you all know if it will transfer through an underwater housing...

Here's some more info about the card: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061003...prowireless.asp

It's an SD card and isn't supposed to work well in cameras that only accept CF (via an adapter card).

Cheers

James

Thought about getting one half a year ago. Dropped the idea when I found out it would take about 1h/GB to transfer. If they've become faster than when I checked them out, they might be worth a shot.

Has anyone tried one yet? I am getting one for Sarah to use in her compact camera, but I ordered the "pro" version to try out in my MkIII to see what it's like. I'll let you all know if it will transfer through an underwater housing...

Here's some more info about the card: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061003...prowireless.asp

It's an SD card and isn't supposed to work well in cameras that only accept CF (via an adapter card).

Cheers

James

I also just bought the Pro version. I have used the 2Gb card via a SD/CF adapter wireless successfully , but only in studio. I have not tried it in my Ikelite housing, but will also try and report back.

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714

Well, as expected it is very slow :-( I will have to do some timing to say HOW slow, but it's frustrating to say the least.

On the upside, I love the software - it shows the photos transferring/transferred and it also has features to automatically upload the photos to the service of your choice. For example - I upload mine directly to Smugmug.

More later.

Cheers

James

Well, as expected it is very slow :-( I will have to do some timing to say HOW slow, but it's frustrating to say the least.

On the upside, I love the software - it shows the photos transferring/transferred and it also has features to automatically upload the photos to the service of your choice. For example - I upload mine directly to Smugmug.

More later.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Did you get it to work while in your housing? I had problems with getting it to work out of te housing, due to also having the 2Mb version and getting some upload conflicts. I need to play with it more, to see where I screwed up.

Yes, I also saw the announcement for the new 8Gb Pro yesterday and will probably upgrade to that one for my 7D untill I can afford to buy the new Canon WFT-E5A wireless grip that was also announced yesterday. I wonder if both can be used simultaneously and have full transmission access on a,b,g,n and bluetooth. Now that be sweeeeet!

Bo

The new card is 802.11n and is supposed to upload at 6mb/s - which would be sweet. I hope it delivers.

Cheers

James

Actually this card will be a CLASS 6 card and should transmit much faster. My "N" WiFi router at home transmits at 300Mbps with a minimum of 150 depending on range and signal strength. In comparison, a,b,g WiFi transmits at 54 Mbps. So yes, there should be a significant increase in upload and decrease in waiting time.

This will of course also depend on image file size with full RAW being slowest again especially on a 18-32 Megapixel camera. So it should be great for jobs allowing smaller files transmission.

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714

Cheers

James

Update. I have found that this 4Gb Pro card is 802.11"N" wireless capable, but only at "G" speeds of 150Mbps. For practical use my testing of this card on my 6Mp canon D10 gives me very fast downloads within few seconds in small JPG and relative slow downloads of 3+ minutes for a RAW image. I'm still trying to see if download speeds increase in ad hoc settings (I'm not a programmer and failed trying to reset network settings within XP, but will try again and report if faster)

I hope that the new 8Gb Pro Class 6 will be able to transmit at the higher "N" 300Mbps and be more practical in my 7D.

Bo

Thanks Bo - that's the card I have too. The problem for me is I have a 2-wire wireless router and I don't know if they make then in N protocol yet. I'll have to look as that would just be a great upgrade in general.

Cheers

James

Thanks Bo - that's the card I have too. The problem for me is I have a 2-wire wireless router and I don't know if they make then in N protocol yet. I'll have to look as that would just be a great upgrade in general.

Cheers

James

Upgrading your system to N protocol would be a great upgrade if your internet router can handle the higher bandwith. Likely you are also going to pay more for your internet service connection to have the bandwith. I have upgraded to a dual-band "N" that operates at higher frequency channels and has less interference from other networks (I'm two of a dozen here where I live)

The new 8Mb X2 Pro is now being shipped here in US, BUT be sure to read the updated compatibility information! Especially those of you with newer SLR models and plan to use CF adapters. Eye-Fi Support Center states the following:

"Eye-Fi does not support the use of SD to CF card adapters with the Eye-Fi Card. Eye-Fi has not tested the Eye-Fi Card in cameras designed to use CF cards and has no explicit knowledge to share about the success of these adapters when used with an Eye-Fi Card. We only support the Eye-Fi Card in cameras designed to use SD or SDHC cards.

We are aware that many users want the Eye-Fi Card functionality in their CF-based cameras and have opted to use a CF card adapter to get the functionality offered by an Eye-Fi Card. The following list of known issues with CF card adapters is a collection of information gathered directly from customer and blogger descriptions of issues they have experienced. By sharing this information Eye-Fi accepts no responsibility for problems encountered when using the Eye-Fi Card and a CF Card adapter.

•Wireless range of the Eye-Fi Card is noticeably reduced.

•Formatting the Eye-Fi Card in a CF adapter has caused the Eye-Fi Card to fail.

•File corruption of photos.

•The Eye-Fi Card will not work in Canon 20D, 30D and 40D cameras when used with an “SD/MMC” CF adapter. Use of the newer “SD/SDHC” CF adapters appear to work with the Eye-Fi Card in these cameras. For more information Refer to the Photojojo’s article, What to Do if your Eye-Fi + CF adapter won’t work with your Canon 20D, 30D, or 40D."

There are new SDHC adapters that claim to work for Canon 20D,30D and 40D like this one from PhotJoJo

I may have gotten away with my 4Mb Pro adapter by having used it only on my older Canon D10 camera. I need to do tests with my 4Gb Pro card on my new 7D, before I will even consider the possibility of upgrading to the new 8Gb Pro X2. I will report back when I have some results.

Also I recommend non-USA buyers to check into local compatibility issues for uploads. Read the support blogs and see what issues others are having before you buy a card.

Although a great concept, this product may still need more maturing before it becomes more usable in professionl business applications.

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714

The new Canon EOS 550D/Rebel T2i features Eye-Fi Card compatibility.

For users who want to transfer content wirelessly, the EOS 550D includes Eye-Fi* connected functions. The EOS 550D features a dedicated Eye-Fi section in the User Interface and it disables the automatic power-down function when an Eye-Fi card is transmitting - allowing users to transfer content easily and without interruption**.

" * Eye-Fi connected functions compatibility

*Eye-Fi may not be available in all regions

**This product is not guaranteed to support Eye-Fi card functions (including wireless transfer). In case of an issue with an Eye-Fi card, please check with the card manufacturer.

Also note that approval is required to use Eye-Fi cards in many countries or regions. Without approval, use of the card is not permitted. If it is unclear whether the card has been approved for use in the area, please check with the card manufacturer. "

Update: the 4Gb Pro card does not work on my new 7D, but does on my old D10. I still have to test my adapter for maximum efficiency.

Bo

Edited by fotoscubo714

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements