james

Canon G11 Review posted at Dpreview

Interesting comment here "Very good all-round image quality (albeit without the G10's excellent low ISO resolution)" Glad we kept the 10!

Stu

Yep, plenty of faint praise in that review... :-(

Cheers

James

I'm not 100% on this review although I generally like DPreview. Some of the DPreview tests - particularly the CCD sensitivity test is IMO skewed - they are comparing image quality at set ISO levels rather than shooting at set light levels and comparing what image quality and ISO level the cameras are able to use/produce. The whole idea with keeping the CCD the same size but dropping the pixel count is to allow more light to hit each sensor thereby allowing a lower ISO setting (or smaller aperture/faster shutter etc.) to be used.

I'd interpret it as follows:

If you have a G10 it is not worth getting a G11...unless your gripe with the G10 is it's performance with less than optimal available light.

If you do not have a G9/10 and you want a compact'ish camera with a price tag under £500 then the G11 could well be for you although the G9 (12mp, better zoom, less noise) and 10 (14mp, wider angle, lower zoom) are still readily available and cheaper than the 11.

Definitely a good read if you are interested in this camera or the P90

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/

Cheers

James

Is that just a simple typo, or are you as addicted to COD4/Modern Warfare 2 as I am... ?

The S90 is a sweet little camera, and definitely pocketable, unlike the G11, although i won't be taking mine underwater...

Reading the comparisons makes you think that the LX3 is still the compact camera to buy.

To get better results you have to go to the GF!.

Reading the comparisons makes you think that the LX3 is still the compact camera to buy.

To get better results you have to go to the GF!.

The LX3 is great for sure, put you still have to wear it around your neck... The S90 goes in a front jeans pocket.

That fact made the difference for me anyway... :)

What baffles me the most is why Canon refuses to go beyond VGA and include higher resolution video in their flagship P&S camera. It seems a pretty obvious thing to include and something that would add ridiculous value to someone using it underwater. I suppose they don't want it to compete with their video cams; but then again every other manufacturer has those too.

The LX3 is great for sure, put you still have to wear it around your neck... The S90 goes in a front jeans pocket.

That fact made the difference for me anyway... :)

I know the S90 was originally touted as the baby G10 but from looking at it just now it seems to have more in common with the G11...hmm

Sponsors

Advertisements