Alex_Mustard

Your Favourite Photo of 2009

This was a hard one! It gives a new meaning to "kill your darlings" when you are asked to select ONE picture from a whole year. Anyway, here we go:

2009-11-05-1332-161-duo2.jpg

This picture was taken during a liveaboard with Solmar V in November 2009. The trip took us to Socorro Islands, and this picture was taken at Rocca Partida, the most remote of the islands, where we had three days of outstanding diving. This may not be my best picture, but it is one of the pictures that I feel proud of, and that really represents one of these moments where you really feel privileged and humble. My buddy, the frog(man), is Anders Salesjo.

This pic was shot in ambient light with a Fujifilm S5 Pro and the Nikon 10,5mm/2.8 Fisheye in a Seacam housing.

Cheers and good luck, all of you, during 2010!

Ingvar Eliasson

Edited by Ingvar

DSC_2453.jpg

Correy

Here's a wide angle taken at Point Lobos, Monterey CA. of a good friend who passed away this year in a diving accident.

Nikon D80 with a Tokina 10-17MM, Ikelite with Dome, Inon Strobes

Edited by roydumlao

Taken at the end of a dive in PNG a 2 months ago, D700 in Aquatica, 16mm

post-6984-1262084602.jpg

Hi all,

What an amazing collection of images. So much talent and inspiration....

I'm going to cheat too-sorry in advance. My first picture is of my wife Caron, in the Red Sea in November. Caron has suffered for the past two years with a really bad back condition, and this has seriously limited her diving. So this picture is for me a sign of her long slow and very brave return to full fitness.

736204615_xi9ED-L.jpg

My second cheating picture is one taken on a memorable dive on the Farne Islands, UK. We spent an hour and a half interacting with the a large group of rowdy and amazing seals. The level of interaction and excitement was amazing!

752229345_Eud55-L.jpg

Once again thank you all for the advice and inspiration!

Adam

I do like this thread!

Privileged to dive a lot this year including a trip with Alex and a group from the UK (mostly) to Raja Ampat. Thanks to Alex but also Graham Abbott (Premier dive guide) for an unforgettable time. The place that sticks most on that trip is the blue water mangroves of Nampele unlike anything else I've dived.

Happy safe diving to all.

Tim Diggerpost-7708-1262105754.jpg

2009 was a little different for me than in the past. In some ways it felt like I hit a wall. Especially when it came to getting the WOW shot. There seems to be so many of them coming in from all over the world and the digital age for U/W photography is maturing. So, I've kinda come to a crossroad. Do I spend hours looking for the rare shot or just work on being creative with what's presented?

I'm leaning towards the latter. This coming year will be spent working more on capturing patterns and texture. This photo was taken in Port Hardy, Canada and is one I'm pretty happy with:

Snail_on_Starfish640.jpg

Wishing everone the best in the coming year.

Rand

2009 marks the year when I got my first FF camera and it gave me back the joy of uw-photography...

Now I have to decide each time to film or photograph.... aah...

I choose this image because it kinda shows what diving is to me. Weightlessness, Silence and Joy.

I wish you all a happy and healthy new year!

overview.jpg

To all those who are on my snail-mail list and received the holiday card - and to all those who are not - Happy Holidays!

post-4056-1262120512.jpg

Here's mine. Job changes and a new addition to the family mean that I haven't been diving since January - when I left my wife 8 and a half months pregnant and went off to the Maldives on a Martin Edge course to photograph Mantas. Mantas were in short supply on the trip but we had a great time anyway.

The highlight of the trip was the competition at the end of the week which was won, quite convincingly, by my buddy Ed - who was the most novice photographer on the trip with a photo taken on his G10. He's still chuffed to bits about it.

Anyway - here's my best of the year - I don't expect I'll have any to post for the next couple of years....

Manta

3326842958_5cd9b73e1d.jpg

Hard choice, but this is one from Atlantis Resort in Puerta Galera, Philippines. These spadefish were congregating around the structures of the Alma Jane, a wreck dive right in front of the resort. As I moved closer for a shot, some of them turned to show their smaller profile and "hide".

Canon XTi, Seatool, Tokina 10-17, Z240 X2 (just bought a 7D and ordered a Nauticam housing)

spadefish3_9267.jpg

Wooooowwww...

So many great images and talented photographers.

I will not mention Alex M. who is always posting great stuff.

Congratulations to all photographers.

My favs are the followings:

Manatee_Light_Fav_1.jpg

img_9386_x2.jpg

3685053644_2f5e6b889d.jpg

post-6945-1262037092.jpg post-6945-1262036806.jpg

4037005442_7e8d95a1de.jpg

599258355_aA6GM-L.jpg

115690658.jpg

I have 2 favorite shots this year, and I sincerely can not make up my mind, so I am breaking the rule.

Coco Island last Nov. 09 (Nikon D90, Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17, 2 x Ikelite DS 160).

4144820323_08b7bc6516.jpg

Port de la Selva, Spain in July 09 (Nikon D90, Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17, 2 x Ikelite DS 160).

3727560245_6be930fb7d.jpg

All my apologies folks.

I chose this picture as the most relevant of 2009, for two reasons:

First, as a tribute to my diving partner who over the many years that we share this passion, has always shown great patience and dedication to put up with my demands and desires of mediocre photographer.

Second, because it was accomplished during an underwater photo competition, the 1st International Azores Open, where the images obtained during the dives may not be further manipulated in the computer and the jury assesses the picture as it stands after the photographer finish the immersion.

Won the award for best photo in the category Free Theme and greatly helped the score to win an honorable second place overall.

I hope you enjoy.

Nikon D300, Subal Housing, Tokina 10-17 and 2 x Inon Z-240.

post-15186-1262140198.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR

CatalinaFarnsworth-304.jpg

Taken at Farnsworth Banks on the windward side of Catalina in California with an Olympus E-520, 9-18 lens, and YS110 / YS110a strobes.

Wow what an incredibly inspiring thread! Amazing images :)

3300080788_cd225da351_b.jpg

For me I'd say this one. Because it was from a really broken up sony P&S (from my office) that kept turning off every few seconds. It was the only UW camera I had during this trip (to tag and release reef fish) and I was very skeptical I'd get anything from it. I'm very very happy with this photo. There are others I'm very happy with from this year too, but this one especially because it strengthened my resolve because in the end, what mattered most was just trying hard enough.

Stunningly beautiful images! It sure has been a great year!

I'd have to break the rule too and post three, sorry guys, but all of them a favorite from different points of view:

1st one is my favorite from a technical point of view:

Carybdea marsupialis

4143087943_237bf90f5f.jpg

2nd one is a favorite from 'artistic' point of view:

Cotylorhiza tuberculata

4113956171_b518f07356.jpg

And the 3rd is the one I personally love the most for sentimental reasons. The guy on the photo is my best dive buddy Filip and he deserved a good shot for wasting so much of his precious dive time just to guard me on the surface while I freedive deep with my camera:

4128433653_ddc5920ea4.jpg

Alex, I'd let you decide and pick the one that should stay in the thread... :)

Edited by Wishbone

Always tough to choose a favorite, but in this case I am overwhelmingly happy with mine! My one trip this year was to the Philippines, and it was my first real dive photography trip. I went specifically to shoot photo's and had an absolute blast doing it. I had always loved pictures of Mantis Shrimp; and desperatly wanted to get a good shot of just a plain peacock mantis shrimp (and I did!). I had missed one mantis shrimp with its bright red eggs earlier in the trip - it had scurried away upon my approach. This shot was the result of a willing shrimp, and a very long and slow approach (thank god it was only in 30 feet of water!). The shot is my favorite, and was an Honorable Mention in this years NCUPS Advanced Macro Category.

Taken with my G10 and dual Inon UCL165, no cropping:

post-22362-1262162831.jpg

tarta.jpg

Nikon D80, Nikon 10,5mm fish eye, 1 Subtronic Alpha, 1 Ikelite 100Ai

Marsa Abu Dabbab - Egypt

Cristian Umili

www.cristianumili.com

Hi,

Here is my “favorite” picture for the 2009. not a lot of dives, but much better previous year.

Gadi

post-2663-1262165694.jpg

One picture from 2009 that worked for me in the sense of coming out on the computer as I wanted it to down at the Hilma Hooker on Bonaire. 5DM2, Canon 15 mm FE, natural light.

post-6658-1262170340.jpg

Edited by Bent C

This is my favourite for 2009, taken in Seraya Secrets, Tulamben, Bali .... It was the first time I manged to take a picture of a couple of Arlequin shrimps, sitting on their source of food, a red sea-star Canon EOS-450D in Hugyfot housing, Canon 60mm macro + Canon 250D, Inon Z240 + Inon D2000 strobes - f/22 @ 1/200 sec.

post-23262-1262170298.jpg

Wishing the Very Best 2010 to All of You !!!!

Francesco

What a wonderful thread. Some truly inspiring images. Wishing everywhere all the best for the new year!

My favorite from 2009, from Anilao...

3513126236_9790fcfdd4_o.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements