Alex_Mustard

Your Favourite Photo of 2009

Some amazing images presented here.

Usually my favourite image of the year comes out of Port Hardy BC in CANADA because I consider the diving there my home. That said I have to go with what I found to be one of my most challenging shots to accomplish yet not necessarily my most contest worthy shot.

I was snorkelling in the Galapagos in November and noticed the tail end of a white tip shark under a ledge. I dove down to take a look as I was disappointed to see that it was the tail facing out of the cavern and not the head. When I dove down I could see that there was some light on the face and went over the top of the ledge to see if there was another opening. I found a small hole and could see the light was touching the face of the White tip. Downside again, there was a large sting ray also under the ledge and I could not tell where the business end of it was. On top of that I had to try and wedge myself and my housing into the hole without blocking the ambient light. So housing in hand, no strobes and free diving I accomplished the shot. My most challenging image of 2009.

post-149-1262557426.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos cause it looks like the little guy is trying to hide, but it isn't working.

post-30247-1262564648.jpg

• Like 1

This is not a "wow" critter...it hasn't got "wow" lighting, and the composition isn't that "wow" but i just love the happy expression on this globefish:

3437721952_4db8007607_o.jpg

Happy Snapping,

Peter

• Like 1

Technically this shot wasn't taken in 2009. However, it was taken near the end of 2008. Since I didn't go on any trips in 2009, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no one will object too much ;) It was taken at Wakatobi Dive Resort and everything seemed to come together for this shot. I was using my Tokina 10-17 lens for the first time on this trip and was quite pleased with the results.

4142955974_a34bf05c5e_o.jpg

My "two" favorites of the year are from my last diving, the last day of the year, just in time.

Taken during a dive with some friends in the morning of Dic 31.

These are my favorites because I'm starting to understand the concept "get close, get closer".

4241623453_668c4e9db9_o.jpg

4241625063_64eec20076_o.jpg

Canon A590IS, Ikelite housing, 2xInon Z-240 type 4, Inon UWL-100 Wide Angle Lens Type 2

Wow...love looking at these. Inspires me to work harder at my photography.

My favorite shot this year was taken in Cozumel in March. Our divermaster said that in 30 years of diving in Cozumel, he had never seen this behavior betweeen a moray eel and a shark. If you look closer, you will notice a grouper further back in the crevice. I managed to get a series of pictures - the first being of the eel laying down asleep and then waiting and taking pics as it "woke" up and then opened its mouth all the way. This is one of the pics in the series. For once I felt that I was in the right place at the right time for this one.

post-25529-1262569913.jpg

DivverPam

Sorry I'll try that again;

Have 2 I'm afraid - sorry!

The first is from a very enjoyable trip with Julian, Dave (Scubacam) and the legendary Rodney Fox, no matter how many times I photograph great whites the the buzz being this close is always electric. Plus what I really enjoyed about the Fox experience was the bottom cage that really gave a different photo opportunity than Guad or SA.

3876966021_8d82c1cbfa.jpg

The 2nd is a wreck - never thought I would be posting a wreck however the time it took to get this right and the fact it sat at 30m and we had no nitrox made the result very satisfying. Plus the amount of time it took to train the batfish to swim towards the open door where I had the slave strobe hiding took forever!

4189834564_475f749a4e.jpg

Hello everybody,

Here's a photo from Port de la Selva, a small port on Spanish Costa Brava coast (mediteranean sea).

2009_09_09_MASSA_D_OR_79.jpg

Best wishes for 2010 !

Wow! Beautiful color. If you have a second tell us what you took the photo with (esp. strobes)! I'm trying to learn wide angle and it's a struggle!

Edited by razorrob

Wow! Beautiful color. If you have a second tell us what you took the photo with (esp. strobes)! I'm trying to learn wide angle and it's a struggle!

Hi,

I used Nikon D80 body + 2 substrobes : my old favourite Ikelite SS200 + Nikon SB-105 (so all manual settings)

Lens: Tokina 10-17 !

BR

Olivier.

Great thread, as always. My only real dive trip in 2009 was 5 days in Rangiroa, Fr. Polynesia. Saw sharks and lots of turtles, but my favorite dive (albeit not best photo) was a magical encounter with two dolphins that swam with us for a bit. So I'm going to call this my favorite because it reminds me of that dive:

552095973_FDL6p-M.jpg

Hello everybody,

Here's a photo from Port de la Selva, a small port on Spanish Costa Brava coast (mediteranean sea).

2009_09_09_MASSA_D_OR_79.jpg

Best wishes for 2010 !

Superb... I hope that I'll have the chance to meet you in person in Paris for the Salon de la Plongée.

I'll have a couple of images displayed on CIPS booth.

I only did a few dive trips this year

March 2009 - Poor Knights New Zealand

2763896-2-the-pigfish.jpg

My fav wide angle

May 2009 - Julian Rocks - Byron Bay New South Wales (Australia)

November 2009 - Bali, Indonesia

My fav macro

4140433-1-detailed-macro-of-shrimp-on-coral.jpg

This year I want to go:

Bicheno and Eagle Hawk Neck, Tasmania

Somewhere in Papua New Guinea

Thank you everyone for your contributions. Once again it is an inspiring collection.

Alex

Great images!! :drink:

This is mine:

4037005442_7e8d95a1de.jpg

The tail of Orange-lined Triggerfish. This was take in Tulamben,Bali. I love the simple beauty of this shot.

Happy New Year!! :D

Omg! that image is so creative and soooooooooooo beautiful!!! Love that picture a lot!

My first and ONLY dive trip of the year came last month on the Big Island of Hawaii. I had done night dives with mantas before, but I have never seen so many at one time. We had upwards of 25 mantas on site!! While not the most technically perfect shot - this was my favorite for this trip. The symmetry of these two avoiding each other reminds me of the controlled chaos of this dive.

_JMK0092.jpg_1918_1064_0_100_0_47_70_3_9_80.jpg

another amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing picture!!! Love it sooooooo much !

very nice thread.

How does a speargun guard you from jellyfish?

Tim

:drink:

You don't know!? Really!?

Google shallow water blackout.

:D

Fantastic photos.

Here's my favourite, taken in June in the Lembeh Straits, with a D300 and 105mm VR:

3689994134_6a2376a531_b.jpg

Jon

Did not get to dive much in 2009...but here's one i like due to the lighting. Its a great and humbling experience to see all these beautiful images. Thanks Alex for the post and all the other contributors for sharing these lovely pics.

Cheers,

Diggy

post-10236-1262846293.jpg

Some amazing photos here! Seriously impressive.

Here's my favorite photo, not so much for the image itself,

but rather it was an accomplishment coordinating two people at once while maintaining my camera dome half in and out of the water simultaneously.

485338134_PzJBB-XL-3.jpg

Happy New Year!

~abi

There are plenty of excellent photos in this thread. Here's my effort: a well-placed frogfish that has taken on the rusty coloration of its shipwreck home.

post-6326-1262044222.jpg

I've Just seen this pic Simon ... Thats so cool :D

Dive safe

DeanB

This is the best shot i've taken in 2009. Nikon D300, Ikelite Housing, Sigma 105mm Macro lens and dual Ikelite DS125 strobes. Taken at Banana Reef, Maldives.

post-3001-1263057845.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements