Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Tokina 10-17mm lens/Sea and Sea Compact Dome

Hi folks.

Just to ask is it possible to use a Tokina 10-17mm/S and S compact dome/40mm extension ring combo on a DX-200 housing?? -

If it is possible, are there are shortcomings with image quality- as according to the old Sea and Sea lens charts for the DX-200-this is not the correct configuration for the Tokina 10-17mm lens.

Happy new year and thanking u in advance.

Dam

I haven't personally checked S&S configuration for this lens yet (just because I don't own one yet).

But from what I hear here and from friends it seems that Sea&Sea's is really the best configuration.

It is to be used with the smaller SXER isn't it???

Note: In 10y shooting S&S, so far I have only seen less than 5 official port configurations where I would rather want to use something different than recommended...

Anything can and should be tested... but from the lens size seems like Sea&Sea's configuration is absolutely right and using it with a ER40 which is 20mm longer than the SXER might get the lens too much inside the dome, and get some vignetting from the dome/ER40. If that is not the case you might get unacceptable loss of quality from the center to the border of your pictures, which should be more strong at the wider focal lengths (closer to 10mm).

Good luck!

From what I know you don;t need the extension ring at all but if you do, then the 20mm should be more than enough..otherwise vignetting would be the result.

From what I know you don;t need the extension ring at all but if you do, then the 20mm should be more than enough..otherwise vignetting would be the result.

Called Backscatter in Monterey Ca they recommend the NX Fisheye Dome Port with an SX Extension ring for the Tonika At-X 107 Dx Fisheye 10-17mm lens. Thinking I will go that way. Shooting Nikon D200 in SEA&SEA housing. Also recommended is the Nikon 12X24 but that is to expensive for me.

Thank you so much guys

As always- wetpixel never lets my questions go unanswered.

Thank u

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements