Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Canon S45 + Sea&Sea YS90DX

I just bought a YS90DX to complement my S45.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips before I hit the water.

Mainly I was wondering now that I'm using an external strobe, what mode I should

use my camera in? I normally have it on P, but will this cause my shots to be over-exposed?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi Anthony

Normally the camera is fireing a pre-flash to measure the object. If the YS-90 also fires at the pre-flash everything is fine. Otherwise you have to reconfigure the YS-90. I had this problem with my YS-60. For me i had to open the YS-60 and reassemble some cables. But the YS90 should be capable of fireing 2 flashes within some ms.

... OR you could disable the preflash from the S45 camera.

I have a S50 and I shoot in C mode and what I did is that I have the flash always on and shoot in Av mode.

Vlad

Few questions...

1. Should I set the ISO to auto or a manual setting? (This can't be altered once the camera is in the housing)

2. What is the best mode to shoot with? Aperature priority, Shutter priority, or P?

3. Because I dont have TTL, how do I adjust the strobe output to my camera settings?

Sorry for all the annoying questions, but this is all new to me. I'm trying to find a bit of literature.

Thanks

Hello,

Here is what I think

1. Should I set the ISO to auto or a manual setting? (This can't be altered once the camera is in the housing)

>>>>I think you should set it to 50 or 100.

2. What is the best mode to shoot with? Aperature priority, Shutter priority, or P?

>>>It depends. I shoot in Av but I can see why you would want to set the time and then let the aperture be set automaticaly. Definitely not P

3. Because I dont have TTL, how do I adjust the strobe output to my camera settings?

>>>>You don't!

You will have to try settings.

Although ... I think if your strobe can take the preflash, you could do TTL and everything should be OK.

My strobe is crappy so I can't even set the power on it. I usualy set it to about 5 for aperture and then the time is usualy 1/60 or so.

Vlad

... OR you could disable the preflash from the S45 camera.

I have a S50 and I shoot in C mode and what I did is that I have the flash always on and shoot in Av mode.

Vlad

Hi Vlad

How do you disable the preflash mode of S50. I have a S50 +90DX. The flash sometimes cannot synchronize with the camera even I have set the 90DX to PRE position.

Daniel

I don't have an S50 but you can disable the pre-flash by setting the 'Flash Adjust' to 'Manual'. The pre-flash is automatically disabled in M mode. You can then set the Flash Output in 3 steps - select the lowest setting that will trigger the YS-90DX. This will save batteries and help the camera's flash to recycle faster so you can take the next shot quicker. Don't forget to set the YS-90Dx to 'On' instead of 'Pre'.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements