romeg

Solomon Islands

Anyone recently dived re above?

What's the vis like and is the coral damaged?

I would be looking to do wrecks & reefs etc. from liveaboard.

Info on liveaboard experiences in region would also be of use.

Anyone recently dived re above?

What's the vis like and is the coral damaged?

I would be looking to do wrecks & reefs etc. from liveaboard.

Info on liveaboard experiences in region would also be of use.

Hi I dived there last year from a resort and although there has been massive coral damage over hundreds of kilometres, the recovery is amazing with the new coral already up to 500mm and the diversity also. I have been diving the Solomons for 20 years and always enjoyed my trips there. There are no wrecks lost due to the earth quake and we dived a couple of them. The islands are back to normal and as organised as they will ever be.

The viz when I was there was over 20m and at times closer to 30m and this is what I normally expect on a Solomons trip. Liveaboard would be great just dont know who runs out of there.

Not so recent, but I dived Gizo in the Solomons (the place that got hit by the tsunami) a couple of months after it happened in 2007. while the top few meters of the reef were pretty knocked around, most of it was wall diving, so once below that everything was great. The wreck off Gizo (who's name escapes me at the moment) was apprently a little banged up too, and there were some spots they wouldn't let us penetrate as it was too dangerous, but we still had a blast.

Ryan.

We have been living on Tetepare island for the last 18 months. The diving in that area is superb. We dived around Gizo and were far less impressed. Liveavoards are nice, but also suggest basing yourself with Dive Munda for spectacular diving around the western province.

Hi all, I saw a book in the library the other day on the Solomon Islands.

It was about the history etc, it did not show any underwater pics but, the place looks fantastic.

It looks like there are a few relics above the water as well as below, the same goes for flora and fauna etc.

Lee

Hi

If you download the latest issue of X-Ray mag (#33) for free here, you'll find an article that I wrote on the Solomons.

My trip was carried out in Nov/Dec 2008, and the vis was great, the corals pristine. Bilikiki's boats are top class. All other info is in the article, so I won't bother repeating it here.

All the best

Steve

Edited by Steve Jones

Hi

If you download the latest issue of X-Ray mag (#33) for free here, you'll find an article that I wrote on the Solomons.

My trip was carried out in Nov/Dec 2008, and the vis was great, the corals pristine. Bilikiki's boats are top class. All other info is in the article, so I won't bother repeating it here.

All the best

Steve

Thanks Steve (I'm not too far as in Warwickshire). I have downloaded Xray excellent mag & your article.

I will probably go over & do SS Coolidge for 7days, back to 14 days Solomon with Spirit of Solomon or Bilikiki & onto Spirit of Niugini PNG , although have yet to check reviews on this latter boat. Any links to reviews on Spirit of Niugini would be good.

Into uw photos' with D700, Ikelite Strobes etc.

It looks like travel to Brisbane (?) & then island hopping back to places above?

Regards.

Hi

All the best

Steve

Good article Steve, I had no idea the Solomon Islands are that close to OZ, like you say only a 3-4 hour plane ride.

If I lived in OZ I would certainly be paying the Solomons a visit.

I must admit I am into the metal stuff a little bit more than the aquatic life but looking at the article I think even I would be hooked on the different varieties of animals.

I have a question; do you write regularly for magazines or was this a one off?

I am just thinking about my impending honeymoon to Tahiti and the possibilities!!

Regards

Lee

Edited by diverdad

It looks like travel to Brisbane (?) & then island hopping back to places above?

Regards.

I've flown both Brisbane to Honniara and Bris to Santo before, both are nice easy flights, and I haven't had too many luggage problems. You'll love the diving in both counties too.

I've flown both Brisbane to Honniara and Bris to Santo before, both are nice easy flights, and I haven't had too many luggage problems. You'll love the diving in both counties too.

Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm booked to dive with bilikiki in December this year and have done a preliminary search on flights. Is there a direct flight from Brisbane to Honiara. I had come to the conclusion i was going to have to fly via Fiji.

OK, well I just read your article Steve and wow! i'm having a Big Kev moment. Can't believe I'm going there. And you have answered my question.

thanks

Eleanor

Edited by scuba princess

Hi Eleanor

Two airlines fly Honiara to Brisbane.

Virgin Blue

Solomon Airlines

Sol Air have the advantage of free inflight food/drinks. Flight is only 3 hours though, so it isn't a huge issue. Remember 20kg checked limit out of Brisbane.

Both use the same planes I think and both fly on roughly the same schedule.

Have fun on the Bilikiki.

Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm booked to dive with bilikiki in December this year and have done a preliminary search on flights. Is there a direct flight from Brisbane to Honiara. I had come to the conclusion i was going to have to fly via Fiji.

Sponsors

Advertisements