Sign in to follow this  
belize

Looking for Online Purchase Recommendation

Living in Belize has been a blessing and a curse. The diving and underwater photography is great, but trying to put together a system is hell. I've been researching online for a while now and everytime I think I've found what I need, I am finding it difficult to purchase it online.

I have a Canon D60 and D1. I have the Canon 16-35 f2.8L, 100mm f2, and 28-80 f3.5-5.6 with an extender EF1.4x

I am looking for a housing for the D60 and have thought the Sea & Sea housing with ultralight bracket and arms is what I want. I am still undecided about strobes, but would like to go with 2 x 550EX Speedlites in housings.

I've gone to Sea & Sea's website, but every search on a dealer returns an error. Ikelite requires the camera to build the housing - not practical from Belize. Other mail order sites might have the housing but no way to select ports and gears. Backscatter has the ports, focus and zoom gears, but no housing for Canon D60. Underwater camera pros has the housing but no ports or gears. I've emailed Alan James, which appears to have a complete set, without any reply. In other words, it is difficult to find a single online source for a complete system and provides some support. I could peicemeal the order, but thought I'd check if there were other options.

Is this Standard Operating Procedure for underwater photographers? Can anyone recommend a good mail order place with good support (B&H is great, but doesn't handle the housing) for the Canon D60 Sea & Sea housing and ports? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I plan to be at DEMA and was thinking I might pick up the system there...does that sound reasonable to expect.

Sorry for the rash of questions and thanks in advance for any advice!

I live in Wisconsin, which has about the same availability of UW Photo gear as Belize :D

I have worked with UW Phototech (www.uwphoto.com) and bought Subal housings, ports, gears, etc. - albeit for Nikon. Their prices were signifcantly less than Backscatter (equivilent to B&H on those items they both sell) and service great. I generally communicated with them via e-mail.

Regards,

E-mail Tom at Marine Camera, they are site sponsors:

D60 Web page

Probably won't get an answer for a week or so since I'll be drinking beer with him at DEMA next week.

I am also sure that several people from Belize will be at DEMA so if you could get the purchase together within the week one of them could hand carry it back for you...

Good luck,

I may also be going to DEMA. Any chance of Tom bringing a rig down with him with the good oppportunity of making a sale there? Or is it late to suggest?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements