Sign in to follow this  
pdksca

Next Rig: Older DSLR or Newer 'Pro-sumer' Point & Shoot?

I've been shooting film u/w for a long time (my main rig is a nice old Nikon F3 in an Acquatica, and I've used an S&S MM for light weight work) and only just started to experiment with a basic Ikelite housed Canon p&s digicam over the past 18months. I'm sold so it's time to make a modest move to more upscale digital!

With the budget I have, I can go with either an older, lower res housed DSLR (I have a D50 and a D70 at home) in an Ikelite, or I can afford a newer higher res, high-end point & shoot 'pro-sumer' style camera and housing. (I'm assuming the cost of strobes, etc will be equivalent in each case). I'm thinking of a G9 in an Ikelite.

From my limited experience, it appears the advantages of the older DSLR Nikon D50/70 approach are:

- interchangeable lens (which I already own)

- more in-camera image control

- improved depth of field manipulation

- potential reuse of the Ikelite ports when I move to a newer Nikon DSLR

- easier manual focus?

The advantages of the p&s Canon G9 appear to be:

- higher resolution (12Mp v.s. 6Mp)

- much bigger/brighter viewfinder (high res 3" v.s. lower res 1.8")

- better auto focus?

- video potential (limited interest)

- smaller and lighter

What would you do?

Thanks!

The 'viewfinder' on older DSLRs is exactly that. It's a viewfinder, just like on film.

The screen for playback on an older DSLR is only for image review

P&S cameras have had live view since the off. This is the image on a screen, played live.

It is now on DSLR as well, but TBH, the little I have used Liveview on a Nikon D90 (topside only) it's not all that good.

If I were you, and already had Nikon lenses, and used to framing through a viewfinder (rather than on a screen) I would get an older housed system. D80 systems are turning up used for the right money now, and that is a much better camera than the D70.

Just my 0.02p

Sean

I moved from a Nikon F4/Aquatica a year ago and was in the same dilemma you are in. It is not as simple as a lot of the DSLR supporters claim, the quality of PS images and the dreaded shutter lag is improving dramatically all the time.

There is a very interesting discussion going on over on scubaboard in the photography section regarding the new Panasonic TZ7 with video and the quality of the shots/video's that are being shown is very high and there is 125 responses so far.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwate...st-results.html

It depends what you want to do with your underwater photography and the compromises you are prepared to make. I have to say as an amateur photographer these shots and the video, which I don't have, does not make me feel very superior with my DSLR, and of course there is the carrying issue. There are even a couple of them moving on from Canon G9's to these units.

I am very happy with my Olympus DSLR and the quality of the shots is very high but I might have been tempted to go the PS way if this quality was available at the time.

Edited by ardy01

The other issue is the sellability of your old nikon lenses. I am in the process of selling my nikon glass and a couple of my old film cameras and they sell very well on ebay. In fact it has reduced my purchase from about $2k to $1.3k and still going. The old housing will be a $50 object if you are lucky enough to find someone to buy it.

Good luck it ain't easy!

The other issue is the sellability of your old nikon lenses. I am in the process of selling my nikon glass and a couple of my old film cameras and they sell very well on ebay. In fact it has reduced my purchase from about $2k to $1.3k and still going. The old housing will be a $50 object if you are lucky enough to find someone to buy it.

Good luck it ain't easy!

It's so true, isn't it! I look at that beautiful monster that is the Aquatica that houses my old F3 and can't quite bring myself to selling it for $50 ...but it's really just a very large paperweight right now. (my wife won't let me put it on the fireplace mantel as art!).

An old Nikon / Nikkor lens, on the other hand, will still sell for absurd prices in the used bins of my local camera boutique (and on ebay). Perhaps the old film camera diving housings are like 8-tracks, and the film equipment is like vinyl LP's and turntables. The later still produces unique and beautiful art. The former was so blown out of the water by new technology that it is truly irrelevant.

I moved from a Nikon F4/Aquatica a year ago and was in the same dilemma you are in. It is not as simple as a lot of the DSLR supporters claim, the quality of PS images and the dreaded shutter lag is improving dramatically all the time.

There is a very interesting discussion going on over on scubaboard in the photography section regarding the new Panasonic TZ7 with video and the quality of the shots/video's that are being shown is very high and there is 125 responses so far.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwate...st-results.html

I hadn't seen the TZ7 yet. Man they bring new product to the market quickly. My go-to light travel camera, top-side, has been a Lumix (Panasonic) LX3. An amazing little marvel. I even looked at housing options for it, but there wasn't anything compelling.

I've got a trip to St.Lucia coming up fast. Had to pulled the trigger and went with an Ikelite D50 housing. Now to decide on what to do lens and lighting wise!

Thanks for your help, all.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements