Sign in to follow this  
pdksca

Which 2nd Strobe for my new rig? Do I need a modeling light?

I've got a new (used) rig coming, a new port and cords (thanks to the Forum classifieds!) and a fast approaching trip to get ready for. I need to figure out my lighting system.

My rig is Ikelite based. A housed Nikon D50 with an Ikelite DS50 strobe.

You can tell by the fact that I've purchased a housing for a four year old camera that I'm not breaking the bank here, so the cheaper strobes appeal to me. But not if they're going to leave me frustrated with lousy shots!

From a glass standpoint, it will be a simple set-up. I plan to use a Nikon 18-55 zoom and a 60 macro. But might use my Nikon 12-24 zoom (I don't have the proper port/diopter set-up yet, but will likely end up there).

Second Strobe

I'm starting with a DS50 that came with the housing and plan to add a second strobe. (I realize that I need to order a new dual sync cord too)

Will I be able to get by with a DS51?

Should I move up to a DS160 for the second strobe?

Modeling Light

The D50 has better low-light autofocusing capability than some of the other older Nikon DSLR's, such as the D70, for example. And it's probably equivalent to my D200. But it's no D300. Do I need a modeling light? (I realize that the DS160 has one; the DS51 doesn't ...with the later, I guess I'd be rigging something to one of the arms?).

Thanks in advance for your advice and counsel!

Phil, to better be able to answer this question, what lens or lenses are you using? Where is most of your diving?

Yes, you need a spoting light for best results. No mater where you dive, you'll eventually need to take a picture without direct sunlight on the subject. A spotting light will make it easier for both your eyeballs and the camera to lock on to the subject.

I use my spotting light as a primary dive light as well, always needed in lower vis cold water in the pacific northwest & BC.

Dave

Edited by davehicks

Phil, to better be able to answer this question, what lens or lenses are you using? Where is most of your diving?

I'm off on a trip to St. Lucia in a few weeks. I haven't been in a few years - love the place and really looking forward to it.

It's warm, saltwater diving. Good viz. Opportunity for both macro and wide angle shooting. Mostly reef based, but there is one wreck that I'll visit. Probably will do a couple of night dives.

As this will be my first trip with this rig, I plan to keep it simple: a 18-55 zoom, a 60 macro and I'll bring my 12-24 zoom but may not use it. I hear it's a tricky lens underwater. All Nikon / Nikkor.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements