Sign in to follow this  
Matti

SS Yongala

Hi There,

I have finally got around to reviewing my photos that I took while diving the SS Yongala in December. SS yongala is a Steamship that sunk in 1911 after ruinning into a cyclone just south of Townsville on the QLD coast with no survivors (122 people). It was a learning experience with the new camera and housing (5D MKII and Aquatica)and one of the strobes playing up (just wouldn't fire). I didn't end up taking many photos as the vis wasn't the best 8-10m and strobe playing up so I took quite a bit of video footage which I have to complete editing (about 15 minutes of footage from the 4 dives I did).

http://www.mattiovaska.com/layout/0001/gallery_view.cfm?g=87

regards

Matti

Hi There,

I have finally got around to reviewing my photos that I took while diving the SS Yongala in December. SS yongala is a Steamship that sunk in 1911 after ruinning into a cyclone just south of Townsville on the QLD coast with no survivors (122 people). It was a learning experience with the new camera and housing (5D MKII and Aquatica)and one of the strobes playing up (just wouldn't fire). I didn't end up taking many photos as the vis wasn't the best 8-10m and strobe playing up so I took quite a bit of video footage which I have to complete editing (about 15 minutes of footage from the 4 dives I did).

http://www.mattiovaska.com/layout/0001/gallery_view.cfm?g=87

regards

Matti

Nice work Matti, I also went there in late december. We got a little luckier with the visibility, but still experienced strong currents on the dive site. I can only recommend this dive to anyone, it's a large pelagic fest.

Cheers,

Simon

P.S: really like your compositions what lens did you use?

Edited by simonmittag

Hi Simon,

I had current but it was far from being strong, it allowed comfortable drift back along the wreck. I was using the Canon 15mm fisheye on the 4 dives next time I will stay for a bit longer and use the 100mm macro and maybe the 16-35mm as well.

regards

Matti

Hi Matti ;

I think you have a great time with Yongala , it is my best favorite wreck , probably one of the best wrecks in the

world. I dive there for 8 dives ( continuous 4 days ) in 2007 . Please view my pictures :

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/21146950@N00/...57600001186131/ ) . I am planning to dive again in 2013

( the 100th year anniversary !! ) .

Regards

Perry Kuo ( perryguo.com )

Hi Perry,

If you want to dive the SS Yongala on the 100 year anniversary you will have to bring forward your plans as it sunk on the 23rd March 1911. I was thinking about getting myself organised for the same reason.

regards

Matti

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements