Sign in to follow this  
visa

mirror instead of a second strobe

Ciao all :)

Having a single strobe, I am thinking to put a mirror on the opposite side, in order to reflect the light from the strobe....

Some1 has tried this solution ? what do U think about it ? ....could be a cheap and easy way :D

Thanks

vito

Vito,

I have seen a few photographers using this technique and it works quite well for macro and supermacro .... The mirron can be hand-held to direct the light where you want it and carried in a BCD pocket when you don't need it.

All the Best ..... Francesco

I am thinking to put a mirror on the opposite side

I suspect that it won't work as the light is absorbed so rapidly by the water that the reflected light will be 2-3 f-stops less. A second strobe serves to avoid shadows, but doesn't add much light (only 1 f-stop, of course) to a single strobe.

Tim

:)

Edited by tdpriest

thanks all for yr replies....

I would fix the mirror, or a white plastic surface, on the arm at the opposite to the single strobe (I cannot take the mirror in my hand, since with the right hand I shoot, and wt the left I take the housing)

I know there is a lost of light into the water, but normally I shot in macro or supermacro while rarely in wide, and I hope this cheap set would be enough to reduce the shadows ....

anyway, I will first try in my room, dry, then underwater..... and I will post the results :)

Per Frisco: di dove sei ???

io bari, ... frequenti altri forum di fotosub ? magari italiani ? io quasi tutti, specie poverosub....

ti lascio il mio msn: v20167@hotmail.it

ciao Vito

thanks all for yr replies....

I would fix the mirror, or a white plastic surface, on the arm at the opposite to the single strobe (I cannot take the mirror in my hand, since with the right hand I shoot, and wt the left I take the housing)

I know there is a lost of light into the water, but normally I shot in macro or supermacro while rarely in wide, and I hope this cheap set would be enough to reduce the shadows ....

anyway, I will first try in my room, dry, then underwater..... and I will post the results :P

Per Frisco: di dove sei ???

io bari, ... frequenti altri forum di fotosub ? magari italiani ? io quasi tutti, specie poverosub....

ti lascio il mio msn: v20167@hotmail.it

ciao Vito

In the days of doing macro photography with the Nikonos and extension tubes with framers, Aquatica marketed a set of mirrors called framer enhancers. The strobe was positioned above and close to the subject, and the mirror was below and also close to the subject. The system worked quite well.

Proper mirror positioning without the use of framers would likely be challenging but possible. In applications other than macro, backscatter could be quite problematic.

Spero che la mia risposta le sia utile.

Bob

molto utile ed interessante !!! :P

anyway, I will try to use a good mirror as second strobe.

I am doing some attempts on land, and the results are good enought...I will see underwater what happens with water light absorbtion and blackscatters

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements