Sign in to follow this  
wagsy

Amphibico EVO 95 Degree Port

Howdy All

Got my hands on a pre production new port for all those out there that use Amphibico EVO underwater housings or any that take the standard Amphibico bayonet port.

Its 95 degree and its 100% zoom through. Even when you place the port right up against subjects on full wide, they are still in focus!

Really would of been good to have had one of these when I was filming all those Whale Sharks.

If you have one of these little housings I would highly recommend you get one. RRP is around $1000 US I believe...not bad....ETA March/April 2010

I also just got back (January 20th) from Bali diving with the new port at www.tulambenwreckdivers.com on the Liberty Ship Wreck.

I was really impressed by the new port allowing me to have a huge shooting distance-range when shooting subjects.

Took the 16.9 HD monitor and the powerful G3 Discovery HID light as well..................so stay tuned for that review.

EDIT................ 24th January 2010

You can go and read my review on the new port over here.

Here are some sneak pics of what it looks like for now.

port1.jpg

port2.jpg

port.jpg

100% Full Zoom Through Focus With No Vignetting On Full Wide

port3.jpg

Port On Full Wide Right Up Against Subject

pool3.jpg

Easy To Get Close And Have The Subject All in Shot

pool4.jpg

Standard Port (G3 Light)

95_lens1.jpg

New 95 Degree Port (G3 Light)

95_lens.jpg

About 4 Inches From Port On Full Wide (G3 Light)

95_lens2.jpg

About 4 Inches From Port Zoomed Right In (G3 Light)

95_lens3.jpg

Some more pics here

Looks good Wags ... :) Why oh why didn't they come out with this piece of kit 2-3 yrs ago ... Don't think I will be investing in this baby unless its REALLY needed ...

Looking forward t the other reviews

Dive safe

DeanB

I hear ya Deano.... would of been great for all those Floppy Whale Sharks.

The thing I like about this new port is how far you can zoom into subjects from a good distance plus the wider FOV.

Cutting up the video slowly.....should be done in a couple days.... it will show what I mean.

This is cool Wagsy, this goes into the plus column for having a small setup as opposed to the bulk of EX1/EX3.

Interesting...

A couple of questions.

Is the front port glass or plastic? Is the 95 degees measured horizontally or diagonally?

Cheers

Hi there

It was made out of Glass and 95 degree would be the width.

I hear the production ones have started to be shipped out now too.

Should have mine soon.... :o

Here look at that, they put a link on their site to my little review too.....

CrystaLens95° Wide Angle Lens System

Howdy

Got my production port now and will taking it to Nad Lembeh in a couple weeks to play.

post-4240-1272772153.jpg

post-4240-1272772166.jpg

With the help of the guys at Sea Optics Australia Pty Ltd (who stock both lenses) I was able to make a quick topside comparison of the Amphibico 95 and the HDVSEATEK Seadragon 110. The FOV comparison was done using a Sony HC1 in an Amphibico EVO housing. Frame grabs done in Edius and resized to 1920x1080.

I'll leave a discussion of optical characteristics/performance for a completely independent reviewer (I believe a dive magazine might do one later this year). The main difference is the Amphibico 95 is a full zoom through with moderate FOV, whereas the Seadragon 110 is a 50 percent zoom optimized for super-wide performance.

Underwater the FOV of both lenses would be reduced proportionally...and most of the linear distortions would not be noticeable.

post-16448-1272846611.jpg

post-16448-1272846627.jpg

Edited by HDVdiver

The only option is to buy both lenses :)

Although for me these may have been made a little too late :) we will see ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

Hey well there you go, great job. :)

For me though having full zoom through is a must, I like to pull right in and out on subjects on the fly.

Having a too wide a port makes everything really small so you have to get very very close to the subject.

The only option is to buy both lenses

DeanB

I'm inclined to agree.

Our overall conclusion was that they complement each other nicely...and are small enough to carry both.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements