Huh ? isn't that to sync it to your itunes on your computer as with EVERY single other ipod and iphone and itouch etc ???

no. not the same. what i mean is USB female. also sd card reader. from apple's website:

usb_connectors_20100127.jpg

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera's USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera's SD card.

Edited by jmauricio

Huh ? isn't that to sync it to your itunes on your computer as with EVERY single other ipod and iphone and itouch etc ???

No, it clearly states on that page that you can attach it to your camera's USB cable - so it is a 30pin to USB convertor. Either way, all the devices plug into the USB port for synching etc as you mention, so they are effectively USB capable devices. It's really just a matter of Apple allowing two way transfer to a USB device. No reason why apple could not allow an external drive to show up on the desktop as it does on their computers and allow copying back and forth between the drive and the iPad, or a CF card, or any other memory device.

Edited by loftus

Amigos,

As an Apple fan / dedicated Mac person (iMac, iPhone and a couple of iPods) I think there will be geat possibilities for this device once things get going as Jeff (Loftus) points out.

I gave up traveling with a laptop years ago and DID input photos from my digital SLR to an ancient 30GB iPod with the camera connector. I shot Fine / Large JPEG and if you did RAW then it was cringingly slow....But it did work!

Only thing was you couldn't immediately look at them (or project them hooked to a TV, projector, etc.) until you synched with your iTunes software on your computer and THEN put them back on as files in folders :lol: But it sure was smaller and easier than hauling a laptop, Epson or other storage device, etc.

For the limited presentations I've done the last couple years I create them on iWork's Keynote. Then I can pop a disk into almost any laptop (I save a version as PowerPoint too.) I've also played these from a buddy's <$200 crappy old G4 iBook :) Not elegant but it works perfectly.....

So now I'm betting I could synch my Keynote presentations to the iPad and also have a nice screen for showing off images like I do from my iPhone. Plus read books and other content in full color (it is coming folks) and email, listen to music or watch a movie, etc. Traveling with a device easier to use than my iPhone keypad but smaller and lighter than a laptop.

I'm sure Steve Jobs has more tricks and ideas than most here can imagine.....

We'll just have to wait and see :yahoo:

YMMV

dhaas

David, so what is the advantage of this over a 13 inch Macbook? Seems you can do all you want on the ipad on a small laptop? (not really sure..) Can't you read the books etc on the laptop? (Don't know, never tried..)

But for a trip it sure sounds like a 13 inch Macbook or a Mac Air would be preferable to the ipad if you were just going to take one.

About the same size no?

I can't understand why you would not want to travel with a laptop but would want to travel with the ipad where they are about the same size from what i can tell and you would have so many more benefits from the small laptop?

David, so what is the advantage of this over a 13 inch Macbook? Seems you can do all you want on the ipad on a small laptop?

I can't understand why you would not want to travel with a laptop but would want to travel with the ipad where they are about the same size from what i can tell and you would have so many more benefits from the small laptop?

Waiting to see what the screen looks like to see how the "books" read myself, but I am not a big fan of reading on my computer or laptop. Just never got into it. So the iPad may be a better "reader", otherwise I am of the same general headset, which is why I look at the MacBook Air and the 13" from time to time. Part of it is weight, the iPad is 1.5-1.6 pounds, while the Air is 3.0 pounds and the 13" MacBook Pro is 4.5 pounds. Both are thin, but the overall form factor of the iPad is smaller. With all the restrictions on weight and carry-on it can be of help. A small laptop does have more benefits, but it depends on what you are doing and the type of trip. If you are out for awhile (I think about some of the trips people mention where it is weeks or sometimes months) and need to get work done (processing photos or video to get to someone, programming, maintaining databases, etc, where you need real "computing") than the laptop makes sense to me. If downloading photos with no real processing, watching movies, reading books, sending email, browsing the web, playing some games and whatnot, the smaller form factor is real appealing....

I would like to see a side by side photo of the ipad and an Air or 13 Macbook. Is it really so significantly smaller that it actually means something? Its not like it would fit in your pocket like an ipod or iphone. If you need to carry something that size, why not carry a laptop?

Really, the 3 pound difference in a piece of carry-on means nothing when i can carry on a 35 pound Phenom with camera PLUS a backpack..

According to the info on the bottom of the page mentioned by Drew, http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ there IS connectivity to your camera allowing you to use your camera's USB cable. So the potential is clearly there to connect any device, it's just a matter of Apple allowing the functionality to happen so that Apps can take advantage of it. People were sceptical about the iPhone, I think it is early days yet. Apple are not going to let this device be just a large iPod I'm sure. They may lock in their own software for transferring images at least initially, but I think the demand ill be great with this device to allow external storage functionality.

One of the big important changes Apple made with the iPhone v.3 OS software was under the hood: They allowed the OS to communicate with hardware devices over the connector port. If you watched the launch keynote at the time, they demonstrated a blood pressure cuff that connected to software on the phone for logging and transmitting to the doctor, etc. The USB photo transfer device (discussed above) is another example. I've also seen a few universal remote control dongles that are starting to use the new hardware access, as well.

There aren't a huge number of devices that take advantage of this capability yet (I think it takes some time to bring integrated hardware/software solutions to market) but they're starting to trickle out, and I think the enhanced platform offered by the iPad will accelerate the pace.

Really, the 3 pound difference in a piece of carry-on means nothing when i can carry on a 35 pound Phenom with camera PLUS a backpack..

It is always the slippery slope on that one Mike. I carry photo and video rigs. Then add one lens that I may or may not use, do I need an external drive or two, cables, etc. Granted it is really overall minimal, and I do carry my 15" Laptop right now because when I get done carrying all the things and land where I am going I do like having the laptop (and consider the 17" for long trips), but if there is a place to drop weight along the way, it is always something to look at. You see people discussing the weight of backpacks alone recently in some threads, and even kick around the idea of getting Rebels to drop weight on the camera bodies now and again.

And besides, not all of us are as big and tough as you are :)

David, so what is the advantage of this over a 13 inch Macbook? Seems you can do all you want on the ipad on a small laptop? (not really sure..) Can't you read the books etc on the laptop? (Don't know, never tried..)

But for a trip it sure sounds like a 13 inch Macbook or a Mac Air would be preferable to the ipad if you were just going to take one.

About the same size no?

There are times when a full size (and weight) MacBook is just more than you want to bring along. And there are times when you absolutely want to bring the full laptop.

Do you NEED the full laptop for casual surfing in the living room, while watching TV? Do you NEED the full laptop on a short weekend trip to visit friends and relatives?

Personally, I would probably want the full laptop on a dive vacation, but there are definitely those who don't. There are times when I absolutely want my full laptop with me, but there are also times I really don't need everything, but it would still be nicer to surf (and show photos) on something bigger than my iPhone screen.

And then there's the price. A MacBook starts at $1k. These start at $500. A MacBook Air starts a LOT higher ($1500), and it's easy to get that higher. You could buy several, or at least two, of the iPads for the price of one MacBook Air. (And let's not even bother getting into the price and weight added when you step up to the 15" macbook pro levels) And you still wouldn't have the touch display. And you still wouldn't have the 3G connection available, either. (Which is a big deal we haven't really gone over much in this thread.)

I would like to see a side by side photo of the ipad and an Air or 13 Macbook. Is it really so significantly smaller that it actually means something? Its not like it would fit in your pocket like an ipod or iphone. If you need to carry something that size, why not carry a laptop?

They don't have photo side-by-side comparisons to show scale, that I see, but:

dimensions_20100127.jpg

Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm)

Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm)

Weight: 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;

1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

specs_dimensions20090608.jpg

Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)

Perhaps once the things are actually shipping people will take some photos of them stacked so we can see better.

Of course, you can buy two iPads (or 3, depending on configuration) for the cost of one MacBook Air.

And personally, I can't stand the limitations of the MacBook Air (from a connectivity standpoint, among other reasons). If I want a laptop computer, the 13" MacBook Pro is as small as I can see going, because that's the size you still have reasonable connectivity options, IMO. Unless funds were unlimited and I could have one of everything, of course. It's a lot easier to justify adding an iPad to my existing collection (iPhone and several laptops) than the MacBook Air.

And again, can you get 3G internet connections with the MBA? Also, what about battery life? What's the battery life on the MBA, 5 hours, best case, vs. 10 hours of VIDEO playback on the iPad?

Edited by CompuDude

And you still wouldn't have the 3G connection available, either. (Which is a big deal we haven't really gone over much in this thread.)

+1. As mentioned 3G and no tie in to a contract is appealing. I have not gotten around to getting an iPhone and my phone is really just to make calls. Have an inexpensive plan that is fine. But there are many times where I have a laptop (meetings whatnot) where all I would need is the functionality of the iPad but cannot get WiFi Access...that is tempting me the most out of this. Of course maybe they can throw the 3G into the laptops. Would be great :)

I think if companies like Adobe or Apple create some 'lite' integrated versions of their Lightroom and Aperture software to allow some limited editing like crops, color balance, contrast control etc, and if I could hook up a USB backup device, I would have no reason to ever take my laptop a trip. I do all my serios editing at home on my desktop with a large monitor anyway.

Some more information about VoIP

LA Times Article

Skype is pending.

Like this part myself, imagine holding the iPad to your ear like a phone :)

Apple announced Wednesday that iPad owners will be able to purchase monthly 3G plans for the device, which is quite a bit larger than a normal cellular phone, but could easily be used to make and receive calls.

Now that Apple and AT&T have green-lighted 3G data calls, iPad owners will not necessarily need an additional voice plan (not that the option for one was announced, but plenty of people were wondering).

I think if companies like Adobe or Apple create some 'lite' integrated versions of their Lightroom and Aperture software to allow some limited editing like crops, color balance, contrast control etc, and if I could hook up a USB backup device, I would have no reason to ever take my laptop a trip. I do all my serios editing at home on my desktop with a large monitor anyway.

I don't think Adobe is going to be working that hard to do anything for Apple right now .. they seem pissed about the Flash stuff.

Also . I know we have seen a add on device to plug in your camera or sd card .. I still have not read anywhere that this will allow any sort of file sync or viewing from a external drive.

I don't think Adobe is going to be working that hard to do anything for Apple right now .. they seem pissed about the Flash stuff.

They'll get over it. They got pretty pissed when Apple released Final Cut and stopped making Premiere for the Mac, but it is back. AFAIK they are/were working on getting it onto the devices, or they were the last time I looked. Haven't checked it out in awhile and some people have installed it. Maybe related to security issues? YouTube plays....

Also . I know we have seen a add on device to plug in your camera or sd card .. I still have not read anywhere that this will allow any sort of file sync or viewing from a external drive.

Probably a matter of time before it happens if Apple allows it. Transfer is there to some degree (from Card or Camera to iPad and synch iWork etc via computer), so it is really when it happens I would guess...

This article is interesting Wireless File Sharing

Someone will probaby figure out some sort of hack when these are finally released.....

Here are some interesting things I read re. adobe / apple ipad etc.

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple’s DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

from: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/...roken_link.html

ipud.jpg

I find that to be a really good point against the ipad being the better web browsing option. I also believe the glare of the screen will be bad for reading books on.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to see one but this rendition of the ipad is so not interesting to me yet. But If they make a device that can truly take over from a netbook then I will be interested for sure. It's going to be a fun year watching the next generation of ultra portable devices coming out.

Here are some interesting things I read re. adobe / apple ipad etc.

But as people noted in the comments, Flash has issues. (I like Flash, but it really has become very bloated to me. Sometimes I go back to Flash 3 or 4 and write things in that :) )

The problem is that Flash is notoriously CPU intensive. There's a reason Flash blockers are in the Top 100 Firefox add-ons.

Flash isn't available on Android yet either, and this has nothing to do with being prevented from deploying it.

Lets face it, Flash would be on the iPad and iPhone if it ran properly.

Perhaps if Flash on the Mac set a better example of not being cumbersome and resource hungry, Apple would be more inclined to allow its use on the iPad and iPhone.

Watching a Flash video on my MacBook will run the battery down faster and cause more noise from the fans than pretty much any other activity.

Love the image though, it is great...

I find that to be a really good point against the ipad being the better web browsing option.

It is, no doubt, a big issue. Will be interesting see how it all resolves.

I also believe the glare of the screen will be bad for reading books on.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to see one but this rendition of the ipad is so not interesting to me yet. But If they make a device that can truly take over from a netbook then I will be interested for sure. It's going to be a fun year watching the next generation of ultra portable devices coming out.

I cannot wait to ssee one either, though I am not sure I will be getting one, unless it blows me away. Who knows. I thought the iPod Touch was okay, felt no compelling reason to get one, then I actually played with one a bit. Immediately got hooked.

The portable devices will be real interesting to see as they come out. Now if they only could make a digital Nikonos or somehow get the 5D II into a 3040 body size, I would be happy. I recall thinking the 3040 was alot to carry at one point :yahoo:

I was curious to see what it would cost to buy existing portable devices to do what the iPad can do. I went to Best Buy to find the cheapest devices that could do this. This is what I came up with.

Netbook for surfing the web, $329

16 GB MP3 player, $199

eBook reader, $199

9" DVD player $119

Nintendo DS portable game system, $129.

There is a total cost there of $975.

This compares to the $499 cost of a 16 GB iPad. The large Kindle reader itself cost only $10 less than the iPad.

For $629 you can get 3G which I believe gives you GPS. Lowest cost GPS at Best Buy is $96.

Indeed you can get the 64 GB iPad with 3G for $829

So you can see this devices gives you a lot of value for the money. In one integrated streamlined package.

It will be a big success. So the question becomes how does it integrate into photography and travel, especially air travel?

Is suspect that we will see a version of iPhoto that will enable examination of photos and moderate manipulation.

I find the iPod touch great for showing off my photos now. This device could clearly do a much better job of this. I suspect for non professional vacations/photo shoots that this device could replace or supplement a laptop.

I was curious to see what it would cost to buy existing portable devices to do what the iPad can do. I went to Best Buy to find the cheapest devices that could do this. This is what I came up with.

Netbook for surfing the web, $329

16 GB MP3 player, $199

eBook reader, $199

9" DVD player $119

Nintendo DS portable game system, $129.

There is a total cost there of $975.

This compares to the $499 cost of a 16 GB iPad. The large Kindle reader itself cost only $10 less than the iPad.

For $629 you can get 3G which I believe gives you GPS. Lowest cost GPS at Best Buy is $96.

Indeed you can get the 64 GB iPad with 3G for $829

So you can see this devices gives you a lot of value for the money. In one integrated streamlined package.

It will be a big success. So the question becomes how does it integrate into photography and travel, especially air travel?

Is suspect that we will see a version of iPhoto that will enable examination of photos and moderate manipulation.

I find the iPod touch great for showing off my photos now. This device could clearly do a much better job of this. I suspect for non professional vacations/photo shoots that this device could replace or supplement a laptop.

Wouldn't item 1 (netbook) on the list do all the jobs that the others on the list do? Granted it isnt the best for your eyes reading large documents on the netbook.

(I still want an ipad though, it will replace my beside the bed netbook)

Some more info on the Flash issue. Real interesting.

From Wired about a meeting at Apple:

About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Some more info on the Flash issue. Real interesting.

From Wired about a meeting at Apple:

Jobs is right in his assessment of Flash, but where he's missing the boat is in what the priority one mission of the iPad is: Portable web surfing tool. At least that's in my estimation. It will do many, many cool things just like my iPhone. But ultimately my iPhone's primary mission is telephone/email tool. I can put up with not being able to see Flash sites on my phone. There will be an incredible hue and cry from people who buy the iPad and then realize their viewing experience of the New York Times, CNN, Hulu, Disney, etc., etc.. is crippled because the iPad doesn't do Flash. You can't even navigate the Explorer Ventures website at all without Flash. Most musician's sites are *heavy* Flash. Same thing with pro photographers, heavy Flash for slideshows. I agree HTML5 is better, but "it's what it is" and all those sites aren't going to change overnight. Think about the huge number of photography sites generated by Lightroom in Flash. Apple has always been the tool of choice for artists, musicians and photographers. Are they going to turn their back on those people?

In summary, two things will keep me from buying an iPad:

1) Not being able to easily copy photos from Compact Flash to iPad and to USB harddrive

2) no FLASH!

My Dell Mini 9 with OSX on it does both of those things right now. It's not near as sexy as the iPad tho :)

JP

I just read the article at the link Drew posted above - wow, Jobs is really on a rant :) Here's the link again.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/goo...les-steve-jobs/

I think he's going to regret this strategy. If it doesn't do Flash, I won't buy it.

Apple "used to" be the company that supported artists, musicians, photographers and videographers. No longer. Most art, music, photography and videography sites on the web are rendered in Flash because Adobe makes the some of the best and most easily used tools for deploying content. Go see your favorite band's online site and you'll notice most of them are rendered in Flash. These sites are not just going to all disappear or be re-written overnight.

I know at least three local musicians who paid several thousand dollars for a fancy website to be professionally created for them. All three are done in Flash. These people are not rich; they are not going to create a new website just because Steve Jobs is all full of himself.

Musicians, Videographers and Photographers as a rule are not uber techies. They actually don't care if Flash is written poorly. From their point of view, Flash is the easiest way to get their content out there in the nicest format. The tools are not there for HTML5.

Oh and I call B.S. on Jobs saying Flash causes Macs to crash. I probably hit more Flash sites than most people because I'm a photographer and a musician and it has *never* caused my Mac to crash.

And then there is the fact that Safari does Flash. If it really sucks so bad and causes Macs to crash uncontrollably, why support it in Apple's official browser? I think the man doth protest too much. He's just angry because it's something he can't control.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is one point where I think Jobs is wrong. I think there will be lots of people who are not invested in the whole Apple vs. Adobe battle who will take their iPads back to the Apple store when they realize they can't see all the content on their favorite websites.

Edited by johnspierce

With the ability to do IM, movies/TV (via slingbox) and control of automated homes (stereo, lights, temperature, security, sprinklers etc) via iphone apps and internet surfing, I think it works well for the home. I still prefer E-Ink to LCD/LED for reading and will likely enjoy my laptop/kindle combo for travel.

As a travel companion, the iPad is too slow, the drive too small and there are drives out there which have card readers built-in. Laptops are still the best way to go. Of course, with airlines cracking down on weight in cabin luggage, it proves to be a battle. Probably the 3rd gen ipad will have the processing power to do what a 4 yr old laptop can do now.

'you just dont see the potential for the future. In a few generations this thing will change the world' is something I hear a lot. Thats all fine and dandy, and when that time comes im sure I'll get one, it being world changing and all, but that has no bearing on the current model :good: It's lacking some things that I find kinda stupid, like a camera, no flash support, no multitasking (I live by multitasking). So instead of saying 'some future model will rock', all im saying is 'nah, maybe some future model if it happens to rock'. I didnt buy the first iphone either, nor the second. But the third one worked great for me and I wouldnt want anything different for the foreseeable future (on my phone I am not as struck by lack of multitasking, although it does bug me at times)

Soon as I saw an Ipod touch I could see the appeal, let alone for the Iphone. Doesnt seem the same with this but might change when I see one live.

I think they rushed it because they were worried netbooks and e readers would get too entrenched though. It just seems more unfinished somehow.

Edited by Otara

Cor

It will NOT replace a laptop for travel for photographers who want limited processing ability, for a long time.

However, it is a product which does appeal to many users. I'll buy it for the home as a glorified big remote control. My home automation system and Slingbox can be controlled from it. I usually take out the iPod Touch and forget to bring it back often. I won't be doing that with the iPad. It does not have a camera for video 3g/wifi conferencing on Skype or iChat. But then again for video calls, the iPhone is also useless.

I agree with not assuming future improvements for any product. It's sorta like the Nikon waiting for the D700x/900 or Canon for the 1DsMkx, which MAY have some of the features people want :good:

Sponsors

Advertisements