Within a few days of receiving our iPad 3G, my daughter decided that she would take one of these as a birthday / graduation present in lieu of a Kindle or even a new laptop. In my short observation of the potential for this toy, I think Apple has another winner despite the naysayers. My wife has already decided she really does not need her laptop anymore, and my daughter is already using it at band practice as a sheet music reader, as well as a much preferred device over the iPhone for everything except talking and texting. If Apple provides for talking and texting, the iPhone will become a portable pocket version of the iPad.

Ironically, I'm the one who needs it the least in the family for everyday use.

Edited by loftus

If Apple provides for talking and texting, the iPhone will become a portable pocket version of the iPad.

There is Skype :)

Ironically, I'm the one who needs it the least in the family for everyday use.

Oh that will change. Give it time. :) It really is just a pleasant device to use for so many things. Just being able to check the web or emails quickly without having to grab the laptop or go to the computers is nice. BTW have you seen The Clam Case? Something that is coming out at some point this year. I am sure there will be more similar things. And the buzz is out there for what SDK 4.0 will be doing. Very cool things on the horizon.

There is Skype :)

Oh that will change. Give it time. :) It really is just a pleasant device to use for so many things. Just being able to check the web or emails quickly without having to grab the laptop or go to the computers is nice. BTW have you seen The Clam Case? Something that is coming out at some point this year. I am sure there will be more similar things. And the buzz is out there for what SDK 4.0 will be doing. Very cool things on the horizon.

I tried Skype on my iPhone once, seemed pretty limited. Have the changes in voip allowed by Apple made Skype truly viable on the iPhone and iPad for talking and texting?

That clam case looks very cool? Would be cool if it added a trackpad. It will be amazing if it adds multiport USB functionality etc. Maybe a hard drive? Hmmm, finally a real modular laptop?

Edited by loftus

Yahoo says that 10% of all iPad users are international. Considering the iPad is only on sale in the US, that is amazing.

Yahoo says that 10% of all iPad users are international. Considering the iPad is only on sale in the US, that is amazing.

Must be those sneaky Canuckians tip-toeing across the border! :)

Not sure how this will go down but( :) ):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/appl...lf-centred.html

Of course we have to believe everything that we read in the papers don't we ( :) ).

I saw that one yesterday but I did not think that was information that was needed to pass onto the masses and plebes. Please excuse me while I check to make sure my help are doing their jobs properly. Yesterday they did not have my jam on the toast evenly, and usually a good beating takes care of things when they step out of line, but always a good idea to follow up :P

I saw that one yesterday but I did not think that was information that was needed to pass onto the masses and plebes.

Of course! You are right, I don't know what came over me :) .

The iPad is on sale also in Costa Rica , Switzerland and should be available in general in Europe.

I saw and tested them in Costa Rica and in Switzerland and i was impressed of the general speed, the boot speed and especially the screen quality. I am not at all a fan of Apple products, but i have to admit that's the iPad is the coolest thing on the market now and i may buy one instead of a Netbook.

Chris

Not sure how this will go down but( :) ):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/appl...lf-centred.html

Of course we have to believe everything that we read in the papers don't we ( :P ).

Wow! I didn't realize that by buying one, I was identifying myself as "uncaring" and "unkind"!

At least I didn't get a 3G model - those guys are REAL bastards! :)

Wow! I didn't realize that by buying one, I was identifying myself as "uncaring" and "unkind"!

At least I didn't get a 3G model - those guys are REAL bastards! :)

Don't try relative morality here. Everyone knows the iPad owners are elitist who are trying to blame others. No wait, I have a non-3G model myself. You are 100% correct in your statement. :)

An interesting twist, in apparent contradiction to the "rich elitist" Tribune article, is this one suggesting that many buying iPads are actually deadbeats. :)

I especially like this quote: "The new abnormal has given rise to a nation of schizophrenic consumers. They splurge on high-end discretionary items and cut back on brand-name toothpaste and shampoo."

I'm using my 3G one here in Indonesia, those worried about roaming can take a visit to the Telkomsel service centre in Denpasar, Bali and they will custom fit a sim card for you (micro sims are planned out here). The plan i currently have works out at about $10 per gig of data. To topup the voucher you need to send the credit to the ipad electronically, but you can do that from pretty much any credit shop out here (or your own phone if you know how). But, i think the 3G model is a bit of a waste of money now i have it in my hands. I'd rather use my 3G model on my MBP combined with laaunch2net's newest software to create a wifi hotspot - gives the same result and cheaper data rates.

On a side note, i have exported photos in both adobeRGB and sRGB and both look a little unsaturated, any tips on getting the best out of the screen? I cant find any reliable info on what colour space to use.

Sponsors

Advertisements