edmond320

Olympus E-PL1,with underwater housing

Repep: right. Can someone explain why you'd want to look through an EVF viewfinder underwater when you can look at a big LCD screen (w/ I'm assuming just as many or more pixels)? Besides bright light viewing what reason is there?

Cheers

James

Yeah, I saw the mysterious screw. It looks like there's a sleeve inside. But then you've got the cost of a port and the bigger issue of who's going to warranty it. Olympus told me any modifications like that would void the warranty. I think a 3rd party housing may be a better answer for advanced users.

The 17mm Oly will vignette.

Turning the camera to spot focusing, it is quite quick to focus, much, much faster than a P&S, not quite as fast as a DSLR. I spun it around at the show and it locked very quickly. A good focus light will improve things, but I tried focusing on a crack in the dark wood floor in the shadows and had no problem. The 9-18 is faster, due to internal focus.

James, not sure abotu the EVF.

I'm promised a demo unit to do some test dives with the system. But it'll probably be a month.

Jack

EVF is good for divers beyond 40 where they find difficulty of close up vision of the monitor, that's me :(

if you take still picture, no problem, you just guess where the object locate and autofocus help you to focus, if the position of your shot is not good, just crop it and make it looks alright.

But while you shot video, better to use the EVF to locate the object well in the centre of your shot, and you need EVF to help you focus by moving your housing back and forth.

EP-1 autofocus is bad with video mode, I have to rely EVF to see clear about the focus during video shotting.

Olympus is good to include EVF so divers with close up vision problem do not have to buy expensive underwater viewfinder.

Repep: right. Can someone explain why you'd want to look through an EVF viewfinder underwater when you can look at a big LCD screen (w/ I'm assuming just as many or more pixels)? Besides bright light viewing what reason is there?

Cheers

James

On the E-P2, the EVF has 1,440K pixels while the screen only has 203K pixels, so you get a higher-resolution image with the EVF. I understand the point of the EVF on that camera.

On the E-PL1, it looks like you get fewer pixels in the EVF (202K pixels on the EVF compared to 460K on the LCD screen) so I really don't see the point of looking at a smaller lower resolution image outside of bright light viewing. Maybe there's a 1,440K EVF that will be released later as an accessory?

Blue and gold color cameras are shipping now. The other colors, like black won't be for another good couple of weeks. UW gear towards the end of March.

Jack

On the E-P2, the EVF has 1,440K pixels while the screen only has 203K pixels, so you get a higher-resolution image with the EVF. I understand the point of the EVF on that camera.

On the E-PL1, it looks like you get fewer pixels in the EVF (202K pixels on the EVF compared to 460K on the LCD screen) so I really don't see the point of looking at a smaller lower resolution image outside of bright light viewing. Maybe there's a 1,440K EVF that will be released later as an accessory?

I got to go with what dave said. Why would one want to look through a small EVF when one has a larger monitor to view subjects through especially is one does not have the best of vision? I am guessing that Live View is a slow mode to shot in on the PL1?

Does any of this crossover to the dicussions about the Pany GF-1? Is the Panasonic Live View different either in resolution or speed? I handled a Pany GH-1 and was really impressed with the EVF resolution.

All of this is of course the opinion of a very old film SLR shooter who instinctively looks through the viewfinder of any camera like I did with my old Nikon F2 in an Ike hsg and later started liking looking at much larger Oly LCD monitors. LOL

Yeah, too bad this camera likely has cripplingly slow autofocus. The GF1 is really the only one to consider.

Yeah, too bad this camera likely has cripplingly slow autofocus. The GF1 is really the only one to consider.

With the same lenses, most people say the autofocus speed is the same between the E-PL1 and the GF1. Here's a Link to a discussion of that on dpreview.

With the 14-42mm kit lens, the E-PL1 is slow to focus, but that lens isn't very useful underwater, so that shouldn't matter. The focus speed with the Panasonic 7-14, with the Olympus 9-18, with the 8mm fisheyes coming soon from both Panasonic and Olympus, and with the 50mm macro lenses should be more important than focus speed with the kit zoom.

E-PL1 accommodate VF-2 which is the same as E-P2

The E-PL1 is equipped with an accessory port to enable use of the externally mounted VF-2 Electronic Viewfinder, which offers high-contrast, 1,440,000-dot resolution and a 100% field of view. The VF-2's live view functionality enables users to confirm the effect of camera settings before the shutter is released, so they can capture the scene precisely as they see it in the viewfinder. Dioptric correction is also provided to ensure a clear view for users who wear eyeglasses.

Edited by edmond320

Hehe - I like that. So does that mean I should leave my perscription mask or contact lenses on the boat and just look through the corrected viewfinder all the time ;-)

I think that diopter is made for shooting topsides where some people take off their glasses to get a better view through the viewfinder. Underwater I think most people prefer to see everything - so wear glasses or contacts.

Cheers

James

One note I got today. The focus gears are NOT included. They are list at $44.99 and need to be ordered separately. I'm hearing an end of March release on these parts.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick

Cathy Church has posted her comments about PEN PL1 here:

http://www.cathychurch.com/Latest_dev.html

excerpt:

"At long last, I have found the new replacement for my all-time favorite camera, the Olympus SP-350. While no camera is as easy to use as the SP 350, none have the convenient presets that included the exposure settings, and none have the full range from super macro to wide and all with TTL, the Olympus Pen E-PL1 is the best that I have found. In spite of the short-comings of all cameras compared to the discontinued SP350, the E-PL1 has the best image quality and functionality of any camera in its price range today. "

Checked out the Olympus E-PL1 at Long Beach Scuba Show - AF with the 9-18mm WA lens was a lot faster than I anticipated. After-market dome ports are being tested and most likely will become available in the near future.

epl1-back.jpg

How it compares to a P&S case.

epl1-ps.jpg

It's much smaller and lighter than an Ikelite dSLR housing

epl1-ikelite.jpg

I know this Ikelite / T2i setup will take amazing photos and videos, but I'll never be able to put up with the bulk and weight.

ikelite-side.jpg

EVIL UW system will become huge in the near future, and Sony's new Alpha NEX-5, using the larger APS-C sensor inside a smaller body with 1080i HD and 16mm f2.8 (24mm) pancake seems like the perfect solution for traveling light... An UW housing from Sony was rumored at the show :lol: Canon has been silence on its EVIL plan.

Edited by A.Y.

Hi all

does anybody know if the Olympus housing for the EP-L1 supports the adapter for 4/3 lenses? Or would I need to buy a new micro 4/3s macro (when it's released) and WA lens.

I already own the 50mm f2.0 ZD macro lens and 9-18mm WA (I use them for land photography) and don't particularly want to pay for their micro 4/3s little brothers :)

I've read Kathy Church's review. Shooting macro with the kit lens? Seriously?

Also, any info on the macro lens for the PT-EP01 housing? Is it a wet lens like the INON close up lens that I used with my Olympus PT30 housing.

thx

David

No, it does not support the adapter.

I don't agree with Cathy, but there isn't really an alternative, unless you buy the Panny 45mm macro, which should work ok, although the port is long for it.

The macro is a wet 67mm diopter lens.

Zen domes will have a 100mm dome for the 9-18 that fits the housing - $499, out in maybe a month or so.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick

David,

Regarding your 4/3 9 to 18 zoom and 50 macro, the 9 to 18 is far to large ( outside dia.) to fit the Olympus port and the 50 fully extended would I believe be to long.

Regarding the Pany. 45 macro it sits more than an inch (25 mm) away from the inside of the port glass. Which means you will need to be an inch closer to your subject. At 1:1 (lifesize) that puts the outside of the port very close to the subject.

The 14 to 42 mm "kit" zoom lens works well for getting macro/close-up shots. At 42 mm the lens is very close to the inside of the port glass giving more distance between the subject and the port glass. The lens will focus to a little more than twice lifesize in 35 mm or about 75 mm X 48 mm at max focus. With the Inon + 6.5 close-up lens the image size is near or at 1:1 or about 36 X 28.

Some images with the Kit lens at the 42 mm end can be found at the link below.

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=57721

Zen has developed a dome port for the 9 to 18 zoom because they felt a demand would exist for the port. I am sure other ports to support macro lenses will be offered by someone if their becomes a demand for them.

Phil Rudin

Edited by tropical1

Phil, I would be very interested in a $500 dome port. Likewise, if it's possible to use the 67mm adapter with a wide angle wet lens I would want to explore that also.

Phil, I would be very interested in a $500 dome port. Likewise, if it's possible to use the 67mm adapter with a wide angle wet lens I would want to explore that also.

The Oly housing will not work with a wet w/a lens. It vignettes to the point that the kit lens is wider. I tried several lenses to that effect.

Jack

The Olympus guys at the scuba show claimed the flat port will work just fine with the 9-18mm ... was he correct?

The best P&S currently available for UW today is probably the Olympus Micro 4/3 Pen, EPL-1 in an Olympus UW housing. It comes with a fixed flat port (no dome port option for wide angle) and a wet-add-on macro diopter/filter for $1510.

The Olympus micro 4/3, EPL-1, EP-1 and EP-2 are probably the best P&S cameras on the market. The Pen cameras have an advanced Olympus 4/3 format DSLR-sized sensor that's bigger and better than any other P&S for UW or topside. Like most P&S it has no mirror or prism, so it focuses and sets exposure using the sensor, which is slower than a DSLR

The Olympus UW housing is an inexpensive plastic housing. It comes with a fixed flat port (no dome port option for wide angle) and a wet-add-on macro diopter. All this lists for $1510 retail – a little less if you shop around. The camera and UW housing just became available this spring. One problem I see with this UW housing is the same thing Olympus does with most of their DSLR UW lens

ports. They sell a flat port for the wide angle lens. They're offering one fixed flat port on the EPL-1 housing for both micro 4/3 lenses that fit inside, the 14-42 mm lens and the new 9-18 mm ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle lens (18 - 36 mm in 35 mm). To get the most out of this UWA lens it deserves a dome port like the 6" or 8" dome ports made by Ikelite.

And there's still no macro lens for the Olympus Pen system, only a wet, add-on diopter accessory. The best value for the EPL-1 and Olympus UW housing will be using it with the 14-42 mm lens (28-84 mm).

I think the EPL-1, EP-1 or EP-2 would be great in an Ikelite housing. But Ikelite has no plans to make

one yet.

The Olympus guys at the scuba show claimed the flat port will work just fine with the 9-18mm ... was he correct?

It works ok, it's just that you loose a lot in refraction. You won't be able to get nearly the field of view.

Jack

i have brought my PEN E-PL1 underwater a couple of times in the PT EP01 housing and i keep encountering this annoying problem: the screen turns black when i turn the zoom lever all the way and stays that way even if i unzoom it.. i can still change settings and modes but it doesn't let me take pictures.. i had a close encounter with 4 manta rays yesterday but this happened and i didn't get even one shot.. i tried turning it OFF then ON again but the LCD screen was still black. has anyone encountered this? or am i doing something wrong? thanks already for your responses...

i have brought my PEN E-PL1 underwater a couple of times in the PT EP01 housing and i keep encountering this annoying problem: the screen turns black when i turn the zoom lever all the way and stays that way even if i unzoom it.. i can still change settings and modes but it doesn't let me take pictures.. i had a close encounter with 4 manta rays yesterday but this happened and i didn't get even one shot.. i tried turning it OFF then ON again but the LCD screen was still black. has anyone encountered this? or am i doing something wrong? thanks already for your responses...

Pretty weird, I've not encountered it. Does it do it consistently and does it do it above water?

If also above water I'd say you should get your camera sent back to Oly for repair. If just uw, it may be that your housing buttons are getting stuck down, maybe two buttons together are somehow jamming the camera up. See if you can narrow it down.

Jack

That all great but has anyone posted pictures taken with that rig?

Sponsors

Advertisements