Sign in to follow this  
jcclink

Nikon 85mm macro

Anybody played with one yet? Experiences?

I have just ordered my first SLR set up and I am going to use the 85mm on my d90. I haven't ordered the lens yet but i have red some reviews and it sounds great.

Anybody played with one yet? Experiences?

Yes I have one and used it on a dive trip after Christmas.

I like it because it focuses at .9 foot (the 60 is .66 ft and the 105 1.0 ft). That gives me a little more working distance from critters than the 60 (which is a better fish lens due to wider coverage than the others) but it is a better fish lens than the 105. I like the extra room because I also use the subsea magnifiers underwater and with the plus 5 my working distance from the critter is better than the 60 (if my math is right it's .18 ft with the 85 and .13 with the 60). Of course the 105 is best if you are going to try to get maximum magnification with the subsea setup. With the plus 5 the mag is 1.5 with the 105, 1.4 with the 85 and 1.2 with the 60. In short the 85 is a nice compromise between the 60 and the 105 (and I am shooting with a 1.5 crop factor on a D300).

As to function, the lens focuses well underwater. I noted no performance issues, unusual hunting, etc.

SD

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements