Drew

Apple releases Aperture 3

Apple has released the newest version of Aperture, Version 3 which includes improved library control, GPS, online upload (facebook etc) and over 200 other new features.

Apple Aperture 3 official website

Aperture in Action (Pros talk about Aperture 3)

The new program costs $199 for a retail set or $99 for the upgrade from previous versions and is available immediately.

I'm abandoning my tentative plans to switch to to Lightroom for now. I was dreading the time it would take to manage the transition anyway.

The Geotagging features look great. I also plan on using the video integration for 7D output.

I was planning on stopping in the Apple store on the way home tonight anyway. It looks like I may be able to pick up a Aperture update along side my OS 10.6 update.

I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

-Brad

Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

Canon PowerShot S90

Canon sRAW

Canon mRAW

Leica D-LUX 4

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.

Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:

Import XMP Sidecar Data

While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

Edited by loftus

Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Yay! Only 18 months after the camera was released!

I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.

Canon PowerShot S90

Canon sRAW

Canon mRAW

Leica D-LUX 4

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.

Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

Long overdue. The S90 is one of the most popular consumer digicams with RAW format, and has been shipping since October. The Lumix line has been a big hit for its form factor. This is the kind of delay that has lost Apple customers in droves. Even Aperture evangelists like Derrick Story had to ditch at least temporarily while waiting for the updates. With the life cycle of cameras growing ever shorter, not supporting them out of the gates is a terrible business strategy. Apple needs to pick up speed on this front, or outsource it.

Actually, one of my hopes for Aperture 3 was that they would open up the RAW processing pipeline to third parties, so that Canon, Panasonic, et. al. could incorporate their own algorithms into the app. A pipe dream to be sure, especially for a company like Apple, but I think it would offer a much better plugin architecture than either Apple or Adobe are offering now. Forcing plug-in developers to take over image processing after the RAW is rendered to pixels strikes me as utterly pointless. It's far better to use the Photoshop versions of those plugins with smart filters.

Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:

Import XMP Sidecar Data

While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

Yes, this is definitely welcome. It's ridiculous they didn't offer it before. There was no migration path to Aperture without it. How would anyone possibly switch?

Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view. iView/Expression Media can see star rankings assigned in Bridge or Lightroom for example. By the way, this applies to JPEGs in addition to RAW which is just incredibly dumb.

I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.

Eric, I looked into this briefly. There is an option to export metadata, but it only generates a .txt file. There is however an option to export masters with XMP sidecar. I think this options are the same as in v2?

As far as syncing - I haven't come across anything yet that gives me hope this was included.

The new feature Write IPTC Metadata to Master should be a convenient way to free your metadata. Only works in OS 10.6.

Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view.

"Aperture 3 imports metadata from XMP sidecar files that adhere to the XMP 1.0 specification; ratings and label values are not part of that specification."

-Brad

Too bad. I wouldn't want to write IPTC to the master, and exporting XMP alongside masters has been there for a long time -- seems unchanged from earlier versions.

I have over 100,000 images in a folder structure, and would love for Aperture to sync out XMP alongside existing referenced masters. I think I'm going to have to export all masters into 1 directory with XMPs and write a program to copy them to where they actually live in my Pictures folder (I'm still looking for ways to get my metadata out of Aperture and into Lightroom).

Has anyone opened LX3 files with the upgrade. This would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks.

I can't even install the darn trial on my computer. Keeps hanging after I click install. Sheesh!

I'm hopeful that Aperture 3 will fulfill my needs for a while. As long as it's fast and stable, everything else is secondary for me. I do not want to continuously change programs, just want to settle in and have something that works.

Nice features that I think will incorporate into my workflow are the synchronous backup to a second drive on import. geotagging, easier transfer of libraries from laptop to desktop and more non-destructive editing / brushes. After selects are complete etc, any special images for printing I will reexport the masters for Nikon RAW conversion and NX2 manipulation and or Photoshop, then resave back to Aperture as TIFFS in the original stack.

Edited by loftus

MAN! I havnt been this excited since I was 12 and the nintendo 64 came out!

Reading through the features; I've looked at the Faces and Places feature. I know it's been on iPhoto for a while as has geotagging in general, and I've just assumed it was kind of hokey.

But taking a look at it, have to admit it's pretty cool with very slick interface for geotagging integration with great applications for what we do as underwater photographers traveling the world. Faces on the other hand may not be so much part of my workflow, unless it can recognize fish. Now auto integrated species identification, wouldn't that be awesome.........

http://www.apple.com/aperture/action/richardson/

Edited by loftus

According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

-Brad

Haha, that would take me a week or more to download that :drink:

I pick up an upgrade copy of Aperture 3 at the Apple Store last night.

Installation was a greater chore than I anticipated. Aperture crashed consistently on startup. A little googling revealed that this problem is widespread amongst upgraders. The solution was to delete the Aperture ProID file from Library/Application Support. After restart I needed to enter the serial of my previous Aperture install (Aperture v2).

After start-up, Aperture 3 took 2+ hours to update 70,000 thumbnails in my referenced photo library.

Once I had Aperture 3 up and running I had one additional crash that took down the whole computer, requiring a reboot. Fortunately I did not loose any work. In fact Aperture opened up to the same window with the same images selected prior to the crash

So far I’m happy with the features. I geotagged an entire Bali/Wakatobi trip very quickly. I just hope we see a stability update soon.

I'm learning not to be such an early adopter. I waited until this week to update the OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.2. I was too anxious to wait for Aperture 3.1.

-Brad

Edited by BradDB

I pick up an upgrade copy of Aperture 3 at the Apple Store last night.

Installation was a greater chore than I anticipated. Aperture crashed consistently on startup. A little googling revealed that this problem is widespread amongst upgraders. The solution was to delete the Aperture ProID file from Library/Application Support. After restart I needed to enter the serial of my previous Aperture install (Aperture v2).

After start-up, Aperture 3 took 2+ hours to update 70,000 thumbnails in my referenced photo library.

Once I had Aperture 3 up and running I had one additional crash that took down the whole computer, requiring a reboot. Fortunately I did not loose any work. In fact Aperture opened up to the same window with the same images selected prior to the crash

So far I’m happy with the features. I geotagged an entire Bali/Wakatobi trip very quickly. I just hope we see a stability update soon.

I'm learning not to be such an early adopter. I waited until this week to update the OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.2. I was too anxious to wait for Aperture 3.1.

-Brad

Thanks for that; sorry about the hassles though. I will update my laptop first and see how it goes first.

Actually, one of my hopes for Aperture 3 was that they would open up the RAW processing pipeline to third parties, so that Canon, Panasonic, et. al. could incorporate their own algorithms into the app. A pipe dream to be sure, especially for a company like Apple, but I think it would offer a much better plugin architecture than either Apple or Adobe are offering now. Forcing plug-in developers to take over image processing after the RAW is rendered to pixels strikes me as utterly pointless. It's far better to use the Photoshop versions of those plugins with smart filters.

Thats not how it works. ALL the camera mfg's keep the raw processing engine a closely guarded secret. You would probably have better luck breaking into the coca-cola factory and stealing the recipe for coke.

Contrary to belief, the camera mfg's do not work in ANY way with app developers on the raw engines. I recently read in this months photoshop user magazine that the single thing the photoshop team was most proud of in the latest version of Photoshop (cs4) was the raw engine they created. That tells you how much work and effort they put into making your raw file look as good as it can be.

I was actually suprised recently when I compared DPP's output to the new lightroom 3 beta. (which uses ACR I believe). For the first time ever, it actually looked like lightroom looked BETTER than canon's DPP. In the past, Nikon's Capture NX2 and Canon's DPP ALWAYS looked better than any 3rd party raw processor. Im not sure I can say that LR3 beats Canon's DPP all the time, but for the brief comparison I did, it sure seemed like it. That to me is amazing. The one thing that I hated about Aperture 2 was the raw processing on the Canon 5d2 and the 7d. It looked like my cat took a dump on my pictures when I was viewing them inside Aperture. Hence, my old workflow was using DPP, to tiff, import to aperture. Which defeats the whole purpose of raw and non destructive editing inside aperture...so Aperture 3 Is a huge welcome to me.

Please explain by what you mean that "plugin takes over after the raw is rendered to pixels". I don't understand your statement.

I can't even install the darn trial on my computer. Keeps hanging after I click install. Sheesh!

Try booting off the snow leaopard dvd, go to disk utilities, scan your hard drive for errors & permissions.

Try it again..if it still doesen't work, uninstall your old version of aperture. To do this, do the following: (note, your plugins for aperture will be deleted, as well as the aperture app, the only thing left will be your aperture library under your home folder, which by default is under the pictures folder (or wherever you have your aperture library located)

To delete previous versions, start Finder, go to applications, drag the aperture icon to the trash. then back in finder, go to your hard drive (under devices), click Library, then click Application support, go to Aperture, delete that folder.

MAN! I havnt been this excited since I was 12 and the nintendo 64 came out!

LOL, you must have been born around '68 too then huh? :laugh:

I remember having a Atari 800, with the basic cartridge and the cassette tape recorder to save it!!

what was worse was when they had atari magazine, and would put the binary code for a game in each issue. You would type for HOURS 0101010101010110101010100 and then it wouldnt run. So you would run the check, and then it would say everything was ok.

Then you would wait until the next months issue and sure enough, they would say there was a misprint on the previous issue and give you the code and the line number to fix it. lol, wow, goes to show you how desperate we were back in those days.

Haha, that would take me a week or more to download that :drink:

Wow, where are you located that you have speeds that slow? even the cheap $15 a month DSL gives you about 300kb/sec, which still isnt very long to download 500Mb. I feel for you. Slow internet sucks.

Im guessing your on a dialup in a remote area??

on another note.........

Another thing that people dont realize is that to really take advantage of Snow leopards 64bit kernel, you need to boot Snow leopard into 64bit. That way your OS is running in 64bit as well as your apps.

This is assuming your computer can boot into 64 bit mode...to check to see if it can...

====================================================================================================

========================

To determine if your Mac has 32-bit or 64-bit firmware, copy/paste the following command shown in red into Terminal (Terminal is found in the /Applications/Utilities folder):

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

====================================================================================================

========================

If it comes back and says "<"EFI64">, you can boot into 64 bit mode.

If it says <"EFI32"> then either you need to update your boot EFI firmware or your computer isnt capable.

To boot into 64 bit mode, hold the 6 and the 4 key down while your computer is starting up.

Then click "about this mac", then click "more info", then click the software tab. It will say under "64-bit Kernel and Extensions:" either YES (if you were successful in booting 64 bit mode) or NO, if you are still in 32 bit mode.

If you want to ALWAYS boot into 64 bit mode, use a app like text wrangler (free) and do this:

Edit the file:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Insert arch=x86_64 into the Kernel Flags field. <---- this is the only thing you need to do. everything else stays the same!!!! Look below, see where it says <string>arch=x86_64</string>? By default, it will not show arch=x86_64!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Lastly, I spoke with both Onone software and NIK software and both are releasing the 64bit plugins for Aperture 3 in the near future (sometime in 2010)

-Geoff

Edited by gbrandon

I'm glad Macs are so easy to use these days!

I'm glad Macs are so easy to use these days!

LOL, actually, Apple wanted to avoid the fiasco microsoft had when it introduced its 64 bit software with all the problems users had with incompatible software. By leaving the kernal 32 bit in Snow Leopard, 99.9% of the people will have no problems right out of the box with a 32 bit kernel.

For those that want squeak every last bit of performance out of Snow Leopard, there is the 2 options to enable 64 bit as I showed above.

For those interested, I like this site for interesting Aperture related feature summaries.

http://aperture.maccreate.com/

The last few days they continue to add vignettes of new features. One nice new feature is the way Aperture handles imports, much faster, apparently as fast or faster than the present king, Photomechanic.

Sponsors

Advertisements