Drew

Apple releases Aperture 3

In my work flow with Aperature 2, after making initial adjustments in Aperature I open in PS3. When I do this in Apertature 3 I have had CS4 crash twice. Most of the time it works fine.

Has anyone compared noise reduciton with Aperature 3 vs. Nik softwares Dfine?

So far so good for me; installed trial version (while I wait for my boxed version) by download on my laptop. Transferred a small library, used CS4 and tried some basic in Aperture edits. Also downloaded a card. All working flawlessly so far. Have to reconfigure my toolbar etc yet to resemble my Aperture 2 setup, but looks pretty sweet so far. Next, the desktop. Important new feature is being able to use any color space including Prophoto!!!!

If I find I finally have the color management control I wanted, I can finally forget about changing to Lightroom, so happy.

Edited by loftus

So far so good for me; installed trial version (while I wait for my boxed version) by download on my laptop. Transferred a small library, used CS4 and tried some basic in Aperture edits. Also downloaded a card. All working flawlessly so far. Have to reconfigure my toolbar etc yet to resemble my Aperture 2 setup, but looks pretty sweet so far. Next, the desktop. Important new feature is being able to use any color space including Prophoto!!!!

If I find I finally have the color management control I wanted, I can finally forget about changing to Lightroom, so happy.

Works pretty well for me. Imported about 10 CF cards worth and it was fine, like the fact that in now supports the movies I take with the G9 and 5D Mark II. Then I went and imported about 250 Gigs/16,000 photos. It is processing them now. It is going through face detection now. Looks like it may take awhile ;)

The more I explore, the more I like it. Breaking up imports into multiple projects, many new metadata and sorting refinements, integration with address book for IPTC contact info, noting whether the image has been sold, used for other purposes etc.

Video integration, merging libraries so I ca easily merge stuff from my laptop to my desktop when I get home from a trip - pretty cool. Now just need integration with an iPad, or some type of iPad /Aperture ap.

Stability issues aside, which I think will be quickly fixed, I think this is a major improvement and upgrade.

Edited by loftus

After a week of use, my opinion is that this release seems like it was rushed out the door. Although the new features are certainly cool, I would not trust Aperture as a system to manage my assets until it is updated to address the many user concerns that have been documented in Apple's support forums, and elsewhere. Seems like many others have come to the same conclusion.

After an experience like Eric had, it's very difficult to even consider Aperture as a solution for managing a photo library.

After a week of use, my opinion is that this release seems like it was rushed out the door. Although the new features are certainly cool, I would not trust Aperture as a system to manage my assets until it is updated to address the many user concerns that have been documented in Apple's support forums, and elsewhere. Seems like many others have come to the same conclusion.

Like the new features alot, but that article pretty much nailed it from the things I have been putting it through. The large test failed for me for the most part. Shutting off Faces did not help much (and that thing is a pig, albeit kind of cool in concept) and I had a kernal panic. Pretty sure that was from Aperture.

i spoke with tech support yesterday, and the guy walked me through some stuff on disk utility to correct some permissions. it took a while, but it seemed to help. there was a lot less of the spinning beach ball after that.

by the way, the guy on the phone acknowledged the issues that they have been having, and said they are working on a fix. that's great and all, but i agree that they released this too soon.

Just to add my few pence worth....

I'm a Lightroom and (until recently) a PC user.

I've downloaded, installed and used Aperture 3 over the past week or so, and can honestly say that I have yet (!) to experience any problems. It was clean install.

Eric's experience with the previous version makes me very wary of using this as a primary tool anyway.

I can't say that I have used it enough to provide any serious comparison to Lightroom, but it does seem as if it may have been rushed. It is frustrating that the third party Flickr etc. export plug ins still only work in 32 bit mode.

I do have great hopes for Lightroom 3 though! Can't wait till it releases.

Adam

i think the problems tend to arise when upgrading from an earlier version. if aperture 3 is the first version you have used, i think you're ok...

The Aperture 3.01 update is out today.

The following list does not address me biggest gripe:

Import>Folders INTO Projects has been replaced with

Import>Folders AS Projects

I believe it was Eric who taught me this this method of file import management during a lecture several years ago. Using Aperture 3 it is no longer possible to import a folder full of images directly into a project as an album. Folders are now imported as projects at the root level. This has thrown a major kink into my import workflow.

Aperture 3.01 Reported fixes:

Upgrading libraries from earlier versions of Aperture

Importing libraries from iPhoto

Importing photos directly from a camera

Memory usage when processing heavily-retouched photos

Face recognition processing

Adding undetected faces using the Add Missing Face button

Printing pages containing multiple images

Printing photos and contact sheets with borders and metadata

Editing photos using an external editor

Display of images with Definition and Straighten adjustments applied

Zooming photos in the Viewer and in the Loupe using keyboard shortcuts

Accessing Aperture libraries on a network volume

Selecting and moving pins on the Places map

Adding and editing custom locations using the Manage My Places window

Switching between masters when working with RAW+JPEG pairs.

-Brad

I use aperture2, and absolutely love it for my UW editing. Is 3 worth the upgrading? Are there any particular NEW feature that you guys are using and liking with the upgrade to 3?

Just got back from a few days in the Silverbanks. I used a 'clean' install of Aperture 3 and a new Aperture Library. The program is fast, sweet, and appears to work pretty much as advertised, even though my laptop could probably use more RAM.

Features I like; downloads are much faster with simultaneous download to backup drive working very well. I love the new full screen mode for reviewing and working on images.

Before I left, I was not so lucky converting my old library on my desktop, so I'm hopeful the new update fixes the problem as advertised. If it does, I can strongly recommend the program, though I would recommend disabling faces unless you have a need to use it.

Edited by loftus

One has to wonder why Apple could not get it right on the first release; but I have to give them credit for fixing things quite quickly with version 3.01

I completed my upgrade of my previous Aperture 2 to Aperture 3 library on my desktop today, and it went flawlessly despite taking all day to upgrade my 35,000 image library.

I then merged my Silverbanks project from last week from my laptop to my desktop which went flawlessly. I love this new functionality that will allow transfer and merging of projects or libraries from my laptop to desktop and back without duplication. This is exactly what I was hoping for to allow a centralized database with real synching of projects and libraries to allow multimachine or user functionality.

Now with my upgrade complete I think the upgrade is absolutely worth it; non-destructive brush editing works well. I continue to be impressed by all the new features. Exporting with xmp sidecar appears to work well, though I now no longer need it as I have changed my mind about moving to Lightroom.

Also used my camera GPS to geotag images which now show up as pins on the Google Maps / Places feature, quite cool, and useful too. I have been asked to provide geotagged images for research purposes.

Edited by loftus

One of the things I was previously dissatisfied with in Aperture was RAW conversion; to the extent that I often used Capture NX2 in this process particularly for prints. It's early yet, but Aperture 3 seems to have made some significant improvements in their RAW conversion engine, particularly appearing to be a closer match to NX2, particularly if one incorporates Nikon style presets into the process in Aperture. As I look at this more closely, I will report more, but I am not the only one who thinks so. Interesting post here comparing Aperture 3 RAW conversion to Lightroom 2.6

http://www.luminousdarkroom.com/2010/02/ap...on-g11-cr2.html

Edited by loftus

Tonu Wu's blog report has shown up here

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/03/28/v...ow-up-on-vimeo/

Of note is his use of Aperture for nearly all his video editing for his Vimeo post. I think as time moves on video editing features are probably one of the things Apple will concentrate very heavily on. Smart, I think considering their strengths in the video editing field.

For most photographers we have reached a type of saturation point with what we need to do editing wise with our still images.

Though I have not really got into video yet, just dabbling, my next DSLR will likely have video, so making the transition with Aperture, rather than worrying about becoming a Final Cut guru is probably a more practical approach for me.

Edited by loftus

Sponsors

Advertisements