Sign in to follow this  
i2castillo

Singapore

Hello fellow divers,

Me and my wife are planning to go to singapore this summer. Any ideas for a good spot? Thanks.

There are locals who occasionally dive there, but the vis is usually just a couple of meters. Imho, you really want to fly to Malaysia, Manado or Bali to dive. Hope this helps - Scott.

Hello fellow divers,

Me and my wife are planning to go to singapore this summer. Any ideas for a good spot? Thanks.

Vis is pretty nasty around Singapore so its not ideal. Singapore is only half a day's bus & boat ride to Tioman Island in Malaysia, which has good diving - macro, schooling fish, wrecks, hard & soft coral sites, swim throughs... The vis drops late in the summer but it is still decent. There used to be a direct ferry but I don't know if that is running any more. You could also charter a long distance taxi in Malaysia if you don't fancy the bus.

If time allows, Singapore is a great hub to get to Manado or Bali through the budget airlines.

When exactly in the summer?

There's a liveaboard which leaves from Singapore in April/May. The White/Black Manta, which goes out to the 7 Skies wreck and Anambas Islands. Not the greatest diving but better than the mud around SG.

Otherwise, like the others have said, the east coast of Malaysia is decent especially around Aur and Redang. There's a plane which goes to Tioman/Redang from Seletar Airport by Berjaya Air. Or you can drive from Singapore and take a ferry, or take the direct ferry to Tioman.

White/Black manta are great, represent. Diving can vary from average to awesome. 7 skies is a cracking dive when the vis is good. At the end of last year we were diving with mantas there and whale sharks at aur from the black manta, but as ever never guaranteed. How long are you in the area for?

White/Black manta are great, represent. Diving can vary from average to awesome. 7 skies is a cracking dive when the vis is good. At the end of last year we were diving with mantas there and whale sharks at aur from the black manta, but as ever never guaranteed. How long are you in the area for?

Thanks for the responses guys.. it is very helpful... we will be visiting family in singapore sometimes around end of july-early august.

Another vote for White/Black Manta. Both great boats. They do the Similans in season and then out of Singapore to Malaysia and Indo.

Highly recommended.

White Manta is now MV DiveRace.

Think the direct ferry services from Singapore to Tioman are no longer in operations.

Edited by xariatay

Diving in Singapore is really not recommended.

But Singapore is a short hop away(by flight) from many of the best destination in the world.

Pulau Weh (Aceh) is two plane rides away - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Banda Aceh - but can take a while to get there.

Bali is less than 3 hours, Manado a little over 3 hours, Cebu 3.5 hours, etc.

My last dive was at Aceh in January - see blog.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements