Sign in to follow this  
Kublah

Strobe diffuser.. do you actually use it?

Just got my DS-160 in, and I read about the diffuser on the thing. The 1 stop loss from the diffuser does not seem like a huge deal, but do you guys actually find it useful? Do most of you carry it with you in your pocket and throw it on underwater when you need it, or just leave it on for the dive?

i tie mine to the strobes with some string, mostly they just hang off the side of the strobe, but when i need it I can then just attach it. I don't use them on macro as there is no need and it spreads out the light too much. I mostly just use them on fisheye photos but that is with two strobes. With one strobe you will need to use it on wide angle shots. However, i don't like using it when the viz is poor as using the diffuser tends to create more backscatter...

Just got my DS-160 in, and I read about the diffuser on the thing. The 1 stop loss from the diffuser does not seem like a huge deal, but do you guys actually find it useful? Do most of you carry it with you in your pocket and throw it on underwater when you need it, or just leave it on for the dive?

I have Inon strobes. I always use the diffusers and some times CC (color correction) filters.

Bob

Yep, what Phil said. Only time I remove them is is murky water. Nice clean vis, they stay on.

Steve

On my Inons, all the time. But I'm intrigued by Mike Veitch's comment on backscatter. I'll have a look at that.

Above water or below, I feel like flashes without diffusers give harsh and unnatural edges to shadows. Unless the photo is "about" sharp lines in shadows, I like to use a diffuser.

Softer, warmer light. I use mine on my 160s almost all the time.

I'm with the others too!

Mine are on all the time. I'm experimenting with gels as well.

I actually find that the softer light makes for less backscatter!

Adam

Ikelites:

Until 3 years ago, I never used them. Then I started using them. Now I almost always use them. I can see shots now from long ago that I wish I had diffused.

Inons:

Always and a lot stronger. Far more necessary than Ikelites.

Use string or rubber bands to secure the diffusers. If you don't then they will wait until you are not looking, turn themselves and leave you without you ever knowing.

i always use the 0.5 stop diffusers on my inons - although i find the full stop diffusers a bit much.

For macro i remove them; alhtough with the 60mm i often leave them on.

I used to use them all the time, but during the last year i started to leave them off more and more. Now i mostly shoot without and only use them, when i really want the effect. And that is less often, than i thought. Most of my recent macro is without diffusers. Wide with diffusers .. but i leave them off in CFWA ...

Edited by serge

On.

Me too!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements