I really didn't know much about these strobes but I got a pair and two chargers. I had no idea they charged so quickly.

Do you think it is necessary to carry two charges while traveling. It looks to me like they fully charge in 1.5 hrs.

Is a back up necessary due to failures? How about a 3rd battery pack? I hear rumor that they are not as dependable as some of the other strobes on the market.

Does anyone have experience with these strobes?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob:

I don't have the DS-160's but I do have the DS-125's. When I travel, I usually take both chargers so that I can charge both batteries between dives (if necessary). I also carry a third strobe as a backup but have never had the need to use it. I have found the DS-125's to be very dependable. I even bought two extra batteries but I don't think that that is necessary for the most part.

Herb

Bob:

I don't have the DS-160's but I do have the DS-125's. When I travel, I usually take both chargers so that I can charge both batteries between dives (if necessary). I also carry a third strobe as a backup but have never had the need to use it. I have found the DS-125's to be very dependable. I even bought two extra batteries but I don't think that that is necessary for the most part.

Herb

Thanks Herb. That helps a lot!

No, one charger. I've never had a problem keeping my batteries charges with one. Almost anywhere you go someone has an Ikelite charger so you probably could get your batteries charged even if you fried your charger. Like I did once.

No, one charger. I've never had a problem keeping my batteries charges with one. Almost anywhere you go someone has an Ikelite charger so you probably could get your batteries charged even if you fried your charger. Like I did once.

Dave thanks. I guess that's one of the advantages of the Z-240's ... if your charger, rechargables fail, you can always get AA's. But to me, they seem like a compromise. I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot when you travel with one charger ... will there be another IKIE DS shooter at the resort, and can you get equal time time to borrow a charger to be ready for the next days shooting?

Ah!

Do you think it is necessary to carry two charges while traveling.

Hi Bob,

I have the YS -250's that also have a dedicated battery pack so we're in the same boat. The answer to your question for me is carry them both. If one strobe dies you can always shoot with the one that's left. If your charger dies your stuck. I don't party until the rig is all buttoned up and ready for the next day. I find it's just more productive and safer to get everything ready the night before and two chargers make that easier to do. More time for drinking rum. ;)

Spare battery is a little tougher decision since they aren't cheap. If your diving in Cayman where a quick trip to Cathy Church's shop could replace a battery that's one thing. If you're on a boat in the middle of the coral triangle I'd carry a spare. For me it's not worth risking a lost day or more for the money.

Cheers,

Steve

If you have an extra charger, bring it! and don't plug it in with the other charger. I fried my laptop charger, my storage charger and my ikelite charger when on the Andaman Nicobar Islands of India. The power generator decided suddenly to give 300+ volts before it crapped out completely.

There was nobody else with ikelite strobes when I needed them!

cheers

Frits

I am with Steve on this one, where I am going will determine what I carry. Usually I will carry extras, including two chargers for my two DS-125s. I also carry one or more of my YS-90DXs, together with extra rechargable batteries and a charger, so in case somethng happens I will have at least one strobe that should work. Having had one or two times when things went wrong on a dive trip for whatever reason, I do have a tendency to go with th side of caution a bit more. Though it is a bit of a hassle carrying extra things, when things go south it is alot better feeling to be able to have something that works as oppossed to being stuck. I am also pretty sure there is something of Murphy's law happening with all this - the odds of having an issue seems to be directly proportional to not having items with you to address the issue ;)

I had a flooded DS160 today so I would definitely recommended a spare battery pack since mine is now ruined! Oh ... I don't have a spare battery pack! Rats... ;)

I've had 2xDS125s for years. In the ideal world I will take two chargers, though recently I've been trimming weight from my kit and often only take one.

Sponsors

Advertisements