Alex_Mustard

Subtronic Ringflash (hex-flash)

Given Subtronic I figure that the price is similarly painful.

You buying Alex or are you sticking with the plastic bottle and duct tape ?

Paul C

Crikey just looked at the link again 1800 Euru - wheeew

That duct tape is looking real cool Alex...

Paul C

looks pretty neat and compact but the price is OUCH!!! It would be very interesting to see how it compares to the homemade-ring flashes around...

I think that a ring flash will give the best quality of light when the ring is as close to the lens as possible. The will give the best quality of shadowless and directionless light that ring flashes are famed for.

Most commercial ring-flashes have bee made by one manufacturer, with one port size in mind. For example, Subal users wanting to use a Inon Quad flash need to use a specially made narrower port so it would fit.

This is the downside for a company like Subtronic, who to maximise the number of potential customers have to make their ringflash big enough to fit around all ports, which is going to compromise the light to some degree.

Although the main problem with ring-flashes is (to quote from my column in the current issue of DIVE Magazine!):

However, you don’t have to be a fan of Film Noir to appreciate shadow is important in photography. It reveals texture and gives depth. So illumination that eliminates shadows will never be our mainstay, and this has always stopped me investing in the few commercial underwater ring-flashes that have been made down the years. I would have loved one for the few subjects they really suit, but could not justify the purchase. Most are more expensive than standard strobes and we still have to buy normal strobes (meaning more luggage weight too) for the majority of subjects the ring-flash does not suit.

Alex

p.s. My homemade ring-flash is still going strong - used this year already in Cayman. Not the greatest image (and not particularly suited to ring-flash lighting), but it was the first time I had photographed this species:

CAY10_am-17.jpg

athena is coming out with a new one i think.... they were suposed to release it in december but got held up or something... anyone care to comment

Sponsors

Advertisements