hey guys just wondering how many of you insure your rigs? I am putting together a new set up and think it would be a good idea but not sure what company to go with.

hey guys just wondering how many of you insure your rigs? I am putting together a new set up and think it would be a good idea but not sure what company to go with.

Insurance is a must. There are 2 major choices: Dan and DEPP

I highly recommend DAN.

DEPP is almost impossible to reach. They frequently don't return phone calls . And in my experience they quit communicating with me after I put a claim through. They never paid the promised replacement but they did had the nerve to automatically renew my policy???

thanks guys I will look into DAN

I've carried the DAN equipment insurance for years, https://www.h2oinsurance.com/, and once even had to file a claim. It was all handled through Fireman's Fund in Omaha and the resolution was very fast and fair. I don't know how all other insurance is handled, but with this you establish a value for your gear (via the website above), pay premiums based on that value, and if a claim happens the insured value, less deductible, is what you get in settlement.

thanks guys I will look into DAN
DAN isn't an option for us Aussies as it is "Only for DAN Members residing in the USA". I have had all my gear insured with DEPP for a few years now. While communications can be difficult I had no problems with my claim for approx $3,000 worth of gear was stolen from my checked baggage on a trip three years ago (something most insurance companies won't cover). One of my dive buddies here in Exmouth who has her gear insured with DEPP has had two flood claims settled with no problems. Edited by Gudge

Another option here in Australia is Protectsure. I know a few people here in Australia who have their gear insured with them but none of them have had to make a claim yet. My only problem with Protectsure is that they won't cover camera gear that travels as checked baggage. With the meagre cabin baggage allowances in Australia, my past experience with theft from checked baggage and the amount of gear I carry (my wife is an UW photographer too) I'm not willing to take the chance I'm not fully covered.

I should also point out that while DAN equipment insurance isn't available in Australia you can still get dive injury insurance cover from DAN Asia Pacific.

Edited by Gudge

I have my gear insured through AON. They have a cameraman's package.

Anyone tired Divemaster? (http://www.dive-master.net). They are UK based.

Have looked at their quote and thinking of taking the plunge, they also don t seem to penalize you for your country of residence. I am South Africa based and there was no change in premium.

Erol

I have mine insured through an "all risks floater" on my homeowners insurance policy with State Farm (here in the US). They charge me 1% of the declared value per year. I've always found it funny that the insurance for a flooded camera is called a "floater" :(

--Mark

State Farm covers any peril any where in the world. I also have their personal articles floater on homeowners. Some incidents may not be covered on other types of policies. Little things like theft by shark (see J. Abernethy for details) :(

Edited by jcclink

Sponsors

Advertisements