Sign in to follow this  
fireted

Need Forum Advice for 100mm Macro and Port

Just picked up a canon 100mm 2.8 usm Macro lens.

Searching the Ikelite website to choose the correct port I find that there are 2 port options. 5505.45 is Auto focus only and 5508.45 Has manual focus knob.

My question is such. Does the 100mm macro really need a manual focus knob when coupled to a canon 20d, or is the autofocus port good enough ?

Also, does the 550.45 (manual focus knob port ) allow you to switch between manual and auto focus, or is it strictly a 100% manual only port.

THanks for your input

Ted

The EF100mm has what you call manual override which means you can manual focus while in AF mode (but don't try to MF while trying to AF) ;).

Having manual focus is always a nice alternative/fine tuner to hoping the AF catches the intended focus point. That said, I usually don't use MF at all but I do miss focus on a few shots because AF focused on the wrong spot.

Ted,

I just bought the same lens for my 400D, but will put it on a 7D when i buy it in the next few months. I found, on land, that sometimes the AF can search through the range in low light levels and that manual focus would be useful, esp on night dives?

The override works by, having it set in AF, half pressing your shutter will AF, then you can MF fine tune it, while still half pressed, before firing the shutter. Its really useful, say for moving the focus to eyes if you want to set them off centre, at the rule of thirds. (of course this can be achieved by half pressing and then reframing the shot).

I think that i will go for the MF version when i buy the port just for the extra use, even if you dont use it too much, its surely better to get the best available, rather than go halfhearted and maybe miss an awesome shot or 2?

My humble opinion...

Olly

This might sound like a really stupid question... but which 100mm lens do i need? i remember seeing a thread on this a while ago but cant find it. I want the one you can use with a telelconverter..

Any ideas, chaps?

Simon

Hi Simon,

You want the older version, ie NOT the L version with IS, if you want to use a tele.

Unless someone's managed to sort this problem out now?

Ryan.

If AF is a bit dicey (eg low contrast subject or bad light) I just set the shutter button to only do exposure and take the picture and use the af button to do all the AF.

That way if you cant quite catch focus on your subject you can just get the distance about right on something it can focus on then move the camera for fine tuning. I find half press a bit hard with gloves sometimes.

Not quite a good as a manual focus option but can make life easier if you dont have it.

Hi Simon,

You want the older version, ie NOT the L version with IS, if you want to use a tele.

Unless someone's managed to sort this problem out now?

Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

I just bought a 100mm L IS len and going to buy a 1.4 TC (w/ 5D M2) for the trip in Indonesia in early April.

Do you mean there is problem for such combination?

I don't have the manual focus but plan to use the AF-on to disable the AF so that I may move forward and backward slightly to get focus if needed.

Woudl it work?

Thanks for advice.

Carl

This might sound like a really stupid question... but which 100mm lens do i need? i remember seeing a thread on this a while ago but cant find it. I want the one you can use with a telelconverter..

Any ideas, chaps?

Simon

you can have a play with mine when i am out there Si, ( lens that is ) ( before DeanB makes that the quote of the day ). I intend to do a fair bit of CFWA with the 10-17mm

Stew

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements